Dont you miss your first gear ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dont you miss your first (vintage ?) gear ?

I dont have my old gear anymore , most i gave to family as i bought more expensive (and hopefully better) stuff and since i live in a smal apartement i couldnt keep it . Every now and then i wish i´d still have my sony cdp and deck , technics eq and amp and jbl speakers - my first stereo !

what about you ?

I had several old gears. Actually, I have a very old Becker Brescia automotive valve radio, AM band only, but autoseeking stations mechanically, it is currently working pretty fine. Here is a photo of any similar, but not the mine. The large brilliant bar is the start seeking button. It´s surprisingly how the manufacturer could do it all brass pieces. And in 1958 !!! And how well it do its job half a century later. Only a very small gota of oil in the mechanical guides of the coil cores.
mb_radio_becker_mexico_180b.jpg

Last edited:
I just found in a plastic bag near the dump , some cassettes .
Just finished to play Jony Mitchell and now....AC/DC Back in Black :):)
There's always a first time !
No I don't miss my gear ...it's in my heart ...well I miss the tiny interstage trasformers that polpulated some portable radio/ recorders in the '70s

This was my first piece of audio equipment - showing my age a little?
Still have it, still sounds good. Not as loud as I remember it, but still far, far better than the iPod docks of today (runs on 6x D cell batteries, or mains).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

PS - there's a neat feature where the tweeters (on top) do something with the phase so it sounds about 6' wide. Very neat.

Circa 1973... (see attached pic- not my pic, found it on line)

But a few years later, I got my first REAL set-up. Pioneer Sx-780 and JBL-L40 speakers. I also had a Techincs SLQ3(?) TT and a Sansui SC3300 tape deck. I still have the speakers and although I sold the Pioneer, I have since bought another one. It's my basement receiver for now. The JBLs are my main speakers and the TT and tape deck are long gone.
I missed the receiver bad enough to find a used one. I like my current set-up a little more, I suppose.
Mike

Attachments

• ge-wildcat.jpg
    ge-wildcat.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 164
Back in the '70's Advent made a table radio (Advent 400) which was 2 pieces, a tuner/amp and a speaker. I didn't have an Advent 400, but my first stereo consisted of a pair of those Advent speakers (white plastic housing, metal grille, single 4" full-range driver) with a Superscope receiver (about 15-20W/ch) and a Technics belt-drive SL-20 turntable with an Empire cartridge (don't remember, maybe a 2000E-series?). It was a surprisingly nice system! My room-mates and I chipped in on it, I think it was about $400 total (including taxes, a record cleaning brush, wires, etc).

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCDJepa7lPm2MAwD_v_8ClPBVuWq_y6o0E1FJh06_dkhDSVJk6pbL4y6Z3

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Joow7uBCK_E/SQc0XcDZ4XI/AAAAAAAAAKo/FhPGao22vno/s400/front.jpg

http://www.stereomanuals.com/vintagetechnics/images/technics_sl20.jpg

After the hand me down Dumont record player and Lloyds all in one type stuff, my first brand spanking new piece was the Realistic SA-1000 Integrated amplifier back in 1975. It was Radio Shack's first step into component stereos and the only reason I could afford the $160, as I was a schoolboy back then, was that my Grandmother had passed away and there was just enough in my inheritance for that amplifier.

Good memories, thanks lduarte1973 for starting this thread and thanks Grandma too. I hope you don't mind that I hold you partly responsible for my addiction. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.