Deer Takes Down Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's getting harder out there every day folks.

ALBION, Ind. -- A northeastern Indiana hunter has died after struggling with a buck he had just shot.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources says 62-year-old Paul Smith of Fort Wayne died Monday during a deer reduction hunt at Chain O'Lakes State Park about 20 miles northwest of the city. It says the Noble County coroner says the death was due to a lacerated liver, possibly suffered during the struggle. ...Full Story

Well it is hunting season here so when I visit a country church I have to be sure to wear an orange vest to avoid being mistaken for a deer.

On the other hand deer running onto the road are a real problem. Hit one at speed and they often will flip up through the windshield and take you with them. I had one buck run right in front of me, fortunately no one was behind me, so I was able to stop just touching him. He ran off towards the interstate highway.

What seems to be happening is that the deer are learning to get close to houses during the hunting season as hunters are not allowed there.

I understand that here in the UK you must not take your own roadkill as it is classed as poaching. However you can take other peoples roadkill!
Basically if someone runs a Deer down they cannot stick it in their own Car but the driver behind them can do so legally.
In other words you cannot profit from your own bumper damage!

South Texas is big time deer hunting country. Whitetails are everywhere. Around here though, if you're found in possession of a carcass, it better have a legal tag.
Ever been to the Grand Canyon? Those deer around the south lodge are so used to people you can get within 20 feet of them. That's cool.

. . . I respond, "If you try to kill the deer with your bare hands so he's got a chance to kill you as well, then sure."
Is the atch photo more like what you have in mind? It may say something about the character of folks in Michigan, and goes along with what I've said here about U.P. weather: "It helps keep the riff-raff out.". The original photo link (with comments) is < Past-E-Mail >

Dale

Attachments

• Deer_Bike_Nov2002.jpg
    Deer_Bike_Nov2002.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 209
On the other hand deer running onto the road are a real problem. Hit one at speed and they often will flip up through the windshield and take you with them.
That is a problem in MANY areas of the country. One of the most serious auto accidents I had personal contact with was a car/deer collision. I was about 10 years old, riding with my dad on a weekend fishing outing. The car in front of us hit a deer, that flipped over the hood (or is it bonnet?) and went through the windshield on the passenger side. The lady in that seat seemed to have a broken arm, and was only semi-conscious. They took her in an ambulance, but I never learned the outcome.

What seems to be happening is that the deer are learning to get close to houses during the hunting season as hunters are not allowed there.
Yes, the largest buck I've seen in quite a few years wandered into my suburban backyard about a year ago. It was impressive to see him go over the 40" (1 meter) picket fence. No running start - he just walked up to it, looked and sniffed, and cleared it with a standing jump.

I don't know how the deer learn what they know. In Michigan, hunters in the southern (more populated) area of the state are restricted to using shotguns - which have an effective range of around 100 yards or less, compared to half a mile for a modern rifle in the hands of a good marksman. I recall one season in particular when I sat for a couple hours on the edge of my father-in-law's harvested corn field, knowing that a group of deer routinely came out of the neighbor's woodlot and worked around the edge of that field most afternoons. Sure enough, they did. And they moved completely around my position, even venturing into the middle of the open field in daylight - and always just out of range. They sure knew the limits of the shotgun. Would have been an easy rifle shot, but that year I was stuck with a pretty thin soup, made from deer tracks.

Dale

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Every time a hunter tells me that, "It's a sport," I respond, "If you try to kill the deer with your bare hands so he's got a chance to kill you as well, then sure."

Guy I used to work with on Maui was a pig hunter (lots of wild pig in the islands). He would wait up in a tree with a knife until the dogs chased the pig by. Then he'd jump on it and slit its throat. A little more sporting than most hunters.
And an odd pass-time for a good Jewish boy from New Jersey.

That is a problem in MANY areas of the country. One of the most serious auto accidents I had personal contact with was a car/deer collision. I was about 10 years old, riding with my dad on a weekend fishing outing. The car in front of us hit a deer, that flipped over the hood (or is it bonnet?) and went through the windshield on the passenger side. The lady in that seat seemed to have a broken arm, and was only semi-conscious. They took her in an ambulance, but I never learned the outcome.

Deer are the most lethal animal in the US, with deer-vehicle collisions killing more people than all other critters combined. That includes spiders, dogs, snakes, alligators, wasps, scorpions, you name it: they accounted for 177 fatalities / year between 1991 and 2001, while deer clock up about 200.

http://scark.org/docs/Animal Related Fatalities.pdf
Deer-vehicle collisions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A couple of years I had a little garden 12 tomato plants and 12 okra plants. I ended up geting 5 cherry tomatos and one okra pod. I wonder if using that 600v plate transformer for an electric fence would be a little over kill.

Not a good idea. It might provide enough current to stop your heart should you touch it inadvertently. Electric fence power supplies are designed to avoid sending people off to join the Choir Invisible.

Deer are the most lethal animal in the US, with deer-vehicle collisions killing more people than all other critters combined. That includes spiders, dogs, snakes, alligators, wasps, scorpions, you name it: they accounted for 177 fatalities / year between 1991 and 2001, while deer clock up about 200.

http://scark.org/docs/Animal Related Fatalities.pdf
Deer-vehicle collisions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've always had the impression that the fatalities occur most often when drivers swerve to miss the deer & hit a tree or utility pole or roll the vehicle instead. Here in MI the Interstate message boards broadcast the message "Don't Veer for Deer"

I understand that here in the UK you must not take your own roadkill as it is classed as poaching. However you can take other peoples roadkill!
Basically if someone runs a Deer down they cannot stick it in their own Car but the driver behind them can do so legally.
In other words you cannot profit from your own bumper damage!

Doesn't the Queen own the deer and it's Her's? I think you should deliver it to the palace front gate! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.