Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
about Citation XX

JCX, I am 59 years old. For the last 25 years, I have witnessed and in some cases participated in oh-so-many pro- and anti-Otala forums, I lost count. I am definitely NOT about to get myself into another Cordell vs Otala debate.

I do not claim or think that Otala got it all right, or even just got it all. Ditto for Cordell, or for that matter, anybody. I acknowledge that there are many roads which lead to Rome, that there is no one single way to do things, but at least several, or even many.

I believe in what Otala has said (the part I know of) because it has served me well and because I choose to do so. But this in no way means Otala is perfect, or that there are no others who may also have got it right, just used a different method. I don't know, I haven't researched them all, simply because of the old rule - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And I do have a beef with the extreme Otala camp people, who have somehow come to the conclusion that one should use no global NFB at all if possible. Otala never said "Thou shalt not use any global feedback". He simply said that global NFB should be used to sort of iron out the already clean drip-dry shirt, use it as icing on the cake. Using no global feedback usually means letting your output stage work with some error, although I have seen schemes to wrap the output stage inside it own local NFB loop. My feeling is that this is not worth the time and trouble, and my experience tells me that the best sounding (to me) amplifiers WILL have a global NFB somewhere in the region of 17 ... 26 dB, an open loop FULL power bandwidth of no less than 50 kHz, etc.

So, please, let's leave it at that.
Citation XX is 99% as philosophy like citation 22 ,XII ,also in 7100,990 and others you can see the same engineer thought.The think that make xx so excellent is the assebling (temperature distorsion ,high currenr source ,RF ecc).Also on the power PCB you see particular attention to bias( 2 relays,8 transistors ,in direct contact with immense heatsink).Lets try to find the driver and power schematic from some service center ,especially in USA or Japan. Harman kardon has made 1000-1500 only pieces and MILLER ,OTALA(is death?), and a japanese named Shirasura ,they dont want to publicate there creation!!!.We can make a clone ,because find that amplifier is impossible think.A photo from near distance is enough. Dont remember 30 year evolution in semiconductors can make a better unit...Also a revolution amplifier for his semplicity and design is accoustat ,all mosfet tnt 200 or 120.billkunavas@yahoo.gr

Does anyone here have the service manual, or just the schematics, of Harman/Kardon's legendary Citation XX?

That's one whopping legend of an ampifier. It's said that it's the best power amplifier ever made, and judging by its specs, like 500 A peak current output, it certainly looks a winner.

I know for a fact that it changed ecerything in HK, their complete topology logic changed radically. Up until it came along, they used more or less similar topologies like everybody else, just more refined; after it, they had topologies no-one else, as far as I am aware, used. Starting from HK 870 power amp, they were into sub-20 dB global NFB.

Citation XX is said to be the brainchild of three people - a Japanese engineer working for Shin Shirasuna (the company which actually manufactured HK gear), Richard Miller and Matti Otala.

I have a partial schematic, with hand jotted comments of Richard Miller, but unfortunately, it was drawn from memory (Richard Miller doesn't have its schematics ???), and has his hand written comments here and there. What is missing is the current gain stage, unfortunately, the most interesting part.

BTW, it's classic measurement specs are, shall we say, mundane, THD being given as 0.1% - hardly ground breaking. Yet, its aura is exceptionally strong. Perhapbs because (at least in part) it's so rare, it seems H/K and Shin Shirasuna had issues, like Shin Shirasuna offering exactly the same products under its own monkier, at, of course, a better price.

Has anyone here even seen it? Heard it in action?

John, I would imagine you took the time and trouble to check it out? Any views, comments, impressions?

I haven't George, never even seen it, let alone auditioned it. However, I have heard what it caused. When ti was introduced, it's key advantages as advertised were peak current delivery of 500 A (later toned down to "just" 150 A, practically zero TIM, a nice voltage slew rate of 200 V/uS, with a rarely wide bandwidth for the day. Not explicitely called so, but strongly sggested as virtually indestructable.

Well, looking over the specs of the H/K PA2400 power amp I listen to for 16 hours every day, I see shades of the XX, specs al,ost the same, except that mine moves a current of measily 100 A, but has a better THD and IM specs, and with a possibly lower NFB factor of just 12 dB. It is very smooth and civilized, and imparts a feeling of being a bottomless power reserve, as if it had endless oodles of power. Bear in mind that my speakers are an exceptionally easy load to drive and are reasonably efficient at 92 dB/2.83V/1m. working in a 14 m2 room. That, with PA2400's nominal power rating of 200 W/8 Ohms, delivers all of the dynamics I can wreak out of my system no problemo.

Do you think such an amp would have been possible without H/K model XX as its cornerstone predecessor?

220W, 0.05%, Zero loop feedback.

I audited both the 3016A and the ML No23 in 1987, the Madrigal power amp had the more authentic sound imo.
Coincidentally, one of the German audio magazines tested the Levinson 23 in august '87, the Tandberg in october '87, and derived at the same outcome as moi.

Seemed to suggest that there's more than one way to make a record scream than skipping global nfb, for the non-holistic.

(Retail of the ML-23 was 60 percent higher though, the 3016A listed at DM 8K in 1987. US gear was terribly expensive in Europa back then, due the high dollar exchange rate and added import taxes for American manufacture)

Last edited:
I'm with Demian on this. While I owned Tandberg gear, a colour TV set, I never really liked their audio gear, it somehow always let me down a bit as I kept finding it on the lean side of things.

Also, God knows I tend to prefer audio gear which has a lower (than usual) NFB factor, but I have yet to hear zero NFB gaer which will not leave me feeling that somehow it had not been quite completed yet, as if something was always missing. It seems my ears always need SOME global NFB, currently at 12 dB as in my H/K P2400 and older 6550 integrated amp from 1993.

This corresponds well with what Jacco says of his impressions. Plus a big ditto for the prices, US gear no matter how good was wildly overpriced across Europe.

Last edited:
Also, God knows I tend to prefer audio gear which has a lower (than usual) NFB factor, but I have yet to hear zero NFB gaer which will not leave me feeling that somehow it had not been quite completed yet, as if something was always missing. It seems my ears always need SOME global NFB, currently at 12 dB as in my H/K P2400 and older 6550 integrated amp from 1993.

That is interesting , I have found the the opposite to be true.
The difference was astounding and immediate. There is a possibility that the improvement was due to topology because the amps without global nfb were always class-A. A similar effect I noticed on well engineered class-d (Ti's tpa311x ) so is it a systemic crossover issue and not nfb?
I guess that is a raging debate and can only speak for my ears.

On Tandberg , I keep pics of anything of Dieter Rams influence in my design reference. (the clean functional lines etc.)

-

That is interesting , I have found the the opposite to be true.
The difference was astounding and immediate. There is a possibility that the improvement was due to topology because the amps without global nfb were always class-A. A similar effect I noticed on well engineered class-d (Ti's tpa311x ) so is it a systemic crossover issue and not nfb?
I guess that is a raging debate and can only speak for my ears.

On Tandberg , I keep pics of anything of Dieter Rams influence in my design reference. (the clean functional lines etc.)

-

Could be several possible rteasons, or any combination thereof. I spoke only from my own experience, which covers only a fraction on what's offered out there, so it's hardly conclusive proof.

Yet overall, I stand by my initial statement - the best sounding amps I am aware of, or even own, actually use very modest amounts of GNFB, typically 12-16 dB, however, I also own such a low GNFB amp which looks great on paper, but doesn' sound so great in real life, in fact it's rather mediocre.

Hi jfetter,

Actually, that isn't true. Think of Stasis and also Cyrus' newer offerings. None of those are class A.

-Chris
Interesting when a practicing EE parses the schematics and makes a comment he/she is usually ignored. The Otala amps are nice why they do what they do is obvious. For one thing the overbias in the OS can not be ignored (IIRC far beyond the "Oliver" point).

Last edited:
Its simply a matter of available time and not to ignore.

I stick with my opinion based on listening experiences.

The open loop amps sounded superior , no question about it.

The samples auditioned happened to be class-a.

I threw them together to see if there was anything worth pursuing.

Although an excellent sound and I could have proceeded to develop Pass type BUT that waste heat is a show stopper. That was 11 years ago.

Enter the tpa311x , now that is a real game changer. (disruptive technology)

-Bruce

Thats it.

I read through the article. The author is a cinema projectionist. You could say he has no audio development expertise whatsoever. His main argument is that nobody can't determine from the confusing measurement curves whether the audio is good or bad. The statement is proof that he has no idea about the subject. Thread closed.

This is interesting as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music-related_memory#Koelsch.27s_model

"Music stimuli are perceived in a successive timeline, breaking down the auditory input into different characteristics and meaning.

At this point, features involving pitch height, chroma, timbre, intensity and roughness are extracted. This occurs about at about 10-100ms"

I wonder how these relate to

the next simplicity_iriver

"The five criteria of Hi-Fi audio

- THD+N
- SNR
- Crosstalk
- Frequency Response
- Jitter"

Let's see, they left out slew rate, settling time, phase, TIM, IMD, mA output, capacitance drive, EMI / RFI shielding, PSRR, EMR......

what else

=p

I reply to my post from 2014, to reignite conversation in this thread. =] =]

Status
Not open for further replies.