Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, now I get it, your brain is wired differently. You won't find my posts intelligible, please put me in your ignore list. I won't ask anymore question on that subject. Don't worry, keep your business.

I am not planning to travel to Bogor just to hear a live description of what you are hearing. I already know that from your postings and sorry, I don't buy it. You could tell as well you hear angels singing in high, or I can state I can hear the grass growing in my back yard, it would be as credible.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I also said that I will try both tube and ss amp when the time comes to design it.

But here I'm talking about the comparison and the measurements of two specific amps.
Peufeu aside it looks like no one is interested on performing a few measurements to understand if there is a relation between the measurements and the perceived sound.

Measurements of the Neurochrome Modulus-286 amplifier from the other site, are they useful to understand the sound quality of the amp (since it just implements the LM3886)?
The numbers are more useful. I will leave the graphs to members like Chris to analyze and determine their significance. As far as how they affect sq, my ears will be the judge. So the arena shrinks to a very small playing field. I'm with you, measurements are meaningless until they correlate with what your ears reveal. Which is quite often a revelation in itself.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi indra1,
As I understand it Chris said there is no problem in having the acoustic measured, but have not arrived at clear correlation of the measured quantity to perception of location.
Actually, that is not what I said. What I said was ...
What you are describing occurs in the brain entirely. What them to poke wires into your brain to measure it?
... and followed that with ...
If I had to guess, discordant sound probably kills the experience for you. Flat sound stage. If something has very low distortion, it would probably allow you to enjoy and process the sound and you could then imagine yourself in that sound field rather than hearing from the outside.

We can easily measure the signal, what your mind does with it is up to you and will vary upon how you feel.
I am doing my best to answer your question truthfully. But if you are going to attribute something to me, Please take the time to fully understand what I said or ask if you are unsure.

Hopefully my answer to you is more clear to you and everyone else now. I really don't like to work to hunt down a post I made pages ago in order to correct what someone says I said - but didn't. Maybe in future, you find my post and copy it without editing so everyone has an accurate picture.

-Chris

He has million dollar worth of equipment. What other reason can explain his persistent effort to block my inquiry? If not him then some cohorts in business with him. He succeeded, I'm no warrior, I don't like dogfights.

Debating your unsupported claims is not blocking your inquiry, unless you want to make it so. I have no dog in this fight, and if you or anybody else would give up extrapolating their hearing illusions, then there would be no quarrel. At least in the days I'm taking my meds :rofl:.

My lab was populated in over 20 years, essentially by buying defective "for parts or not working" stuff on EBay and fixing them myself. You are wrong in your evaluation by significantly more than an order of magnitude. Attached is my lab as of end of 2008.

Attachments

• IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
He has million dollar worth of equipment.
Not quite, but I do know how to use what I have.
What other reason can explain his persistent effort to block my inquiry?
I'm not blocking anything. I am answering your questions as accurately as I can.
If not him then some cohorts in business with him.
No one is in business with me, there is no gang looking to do you any harm. I do have a problem with things that aren't true being said or pushed onto others.

No more research in this area would bring any benefit. Happy hating! Flash news: there is a bigger fish to fry (unless one is in the snake oil business).

Come back when you'll be able to attach a metric to the 3D imaging properties of a stereo setup, or the audible effect of suspending clocks by rubber bands, or the noise reduction in Bybee devices, etc..., the onus to provide this is on you and your posse. Until, you are describing the illusions happening in your very own brain and you have no way to extrapolate these to anybody else.

As an example, the binaural virtual barber shop in youtube (Virtual Barber Shop (Audio...use headphones, close ur eyes) - YouTube) has 36 million views & no one can attach a metric or provide measurement data evidences [I.e. "here is where the sound of the scissors is 1cm from the ear *pointing with a pencil*, here is where the scissors is 10cm away from the ear *pointing with a pencil*"... no one in the world has come forward with any such evidence, so it's 100% subjective / perception]

The holographic effect is just ' blazingly obvious ' & the lack of evidence or the lack of ability to provide evidence actually equates to nothing.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Exactly. At least he's setting the bar low, though. Some of these portable devices really are pathologically bad. Using some $5 device to argue that everything sounds different is disingenuous.

For enjoyment per $ my clip is probably the best audio purchase I have ever made. Never tried hooking to it to my electrostatic headphones but will try one day just to see.

Not quite, but I do know how to use what I have.
I'm not blocking anything. I am answering your questions as accurately as I can...
Apologies for misunderstanding Chris, I was not talking about you. I don't even know your equipment sets to make a reasonable comment about it.

About my understanding of what you posted :
As I understand it Chris said there is no problem in having the acoustic measured,
Is related to
We can easily measure the signal,
and
... but have not arrived at clear correlation of the measured quantity to perception of location...
is related to
... If I had to guess, ... would probably allow you to enjoy and process the sound ...
Did I get it wrong?

I don't know, can we? Was this already established beyond any reasonable doubt? Is 0.1% a threshold? Markw4 claims hearing -130dB, that's 0.00003%.

Yes, 0.00003% THD is a more reasonable number. Plus settling time to zero somewhere at 50 nanoseconds to 500 nanoseconds.

In ideal situations with specific equipment.

Not Sony earbuds in traffic.

Debating your unsupported claims is not blocking your inquiry, unless you want to make it so.
I will give you proof of my ability to hear 3D once you give a blind man from birth proof of your ability to see the stars.
...I have no dog in this fight, and if you or anybody else would give up extrapolating their hearing illusions, then there would be no quarrel.
So you say. But your action tells me otherwise.
My lab was populated in over 20 years, essentially by buying defective "for parts or not working" stuff on EBay and fixing them myself. You are wrong in your evaluation by significantly more than an order of magnitude.
Which was continually added and many more you never show. All right have it your way, more than 20 million.

And I am wasting my time. You will not find this post intelligible either.

Attachments

• Syn08 basement.jpeg
    Syn08 basement.jpeg
    909 KB · Views: 123
Status
Not open for further replies.