Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end you should measure all the possible combinations amps/speakers/rooms available.
This suggests that the measurement of the single component of the audio chain is almost useless to evaluate its quality.

Not really: SS amps have adopted the standard of near zero output impedance, which is good, and the frequency response of commercial speakers is measured with this kind of amp, so you can mix and match and get the same frequency response. Of course, then comes the room.

What I'm saying is, if you look at only the THD of your LM3886 and tube amps, and ignore the difference in output impedance, then you'll miss an important point, since the latter can change the frequency response of the speaker, and that will produce audible differences.

If you optimized your crossover to sound good when powered by an amp that has a bit of output impedance, like the tube amp, then it will sound different, perhaps worse, with a low impedance amp.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This changes things a lot.
In this way I measure the result of the interaction between multiple components of the audio chain.

Then you need to add the room which greatly affects the result.

In the end you should measure all the possible combinations amps/speakers/rooms available.
This suggests that the measurement of the single component of the audio chain is almost useless to evaluate its quality.

You mean like e.g. a clock...?

//

Joined 2002
Paid Member
What I'm saying is, if you look at only the THD of your LM3886 and tube amps, and ignore the difference in output impedance, then you'll miss an important point, since the latter can change the frequency response of the speaker, and that will produce audible differences.

If you optimized your crossover to sound good when powered by an amp that has a bit of output impedance, like the tube amp, then it will sound different, perhaps worse, with a low impedance amp.

:up:

George

That's the shtick, me and others have no other motivation than protecting (time permitting) others from audio BS...
Otherwise, you could promote your...
Does not sound like so and I have no need to promote anything here, my business is fish ball finger food. The interest on the subject is because I want gears I build for my own more in line to my taste.

My original question to Chris:
... I'd like to know if there is a measurement we can make that show a recorded piece is really holographic, a bit compressed in depth, compressed in height or just plain outright flat.

- I can pinpoint sound source with my 2 ears, saved my head a couple of times. Not an illusion.
- I hear location of instrument and other recorded sound source on a playback - no physical instrument therefore an illusion.
- Sound below my hearing threshold does not create any soundstage illusion.
- Paul McCartney made sketches on where he wanted a particular instrument appear in the sound field. Therefore mixing experts can create an illusion somewhat common to a lot of people.

Suddenly ...
... audible effect of suspending clocks by rubber bands, or the noise reduction in Bybee devices, etc..., the onus to provide this is on you and your posse...
And you spray this nonsense to what purpose? The way I get it is that you want me to stop asking question, not the end of the world, no more question from me.

Only the people making money in the "illusion business" would risk losing if the true understanding of the matter becomes common knowledge. Therefore anybody hampering spread of knowledge and progress deserves a treatment of presumed guilty until proven innocent. You want me to leave because I ask? There is no other conclusion I can think of.

- I can pinpoint sound source with my 2 ears, saved my head a couple of times. Not an illusion.
Prove it.

- I hear location of instrument and other recorded sound source on a playback - no physical instrument therefore an illusion.
Prove it.

What, you cannot? Then it is only the product of your brain. I, for example, cannot identify the location of an instrument, other than in the plane defined by the speakers and my listening position. No 3D, probably I did not take my meds.

Sure, I've seen enough heads banged up in construction site.
... you don't like the answer, others have tried to explain why it can't be measured, you think they are wrong and there is something that can be measured?
As I understand it Chris said there is no problem in having the acoustic measured, but have not arrived at clear correlation of the measured quantity to perception of location. I stated I hope to see some progress before my time is up. That is all.

Last edited:
Only the people making money in the "illusion business" would risk losing if the true understanding of the matter becomes common knowledge. Therefore anybody hampering spread of knowledge and progress deserves a treatment of presumed guilty until proven innocent. You want me to leave because I ask? There is no other conclusion I can think of.

So damn right!!

You have made statements making it clear you prefer the sound of tubes in general over ss. Is that not an indication? Not taking you to task here, we're having a friendly conversation. I have not used the term "superior". I think it's very possible you may think ss is superior tech yet still lower sq than tubes, at this point in time. :)

I also said that I will try both tube and ss amp when the time comes to design it.

But here I'm talking about the comparison and the measurements of two specific amps.
Peufeu aside it looks like no one is interested on performing a few measurements to understand if there is a relation between the measurements and the perceived sound.

Measurements of the Neurochrome Modulus-286 amplifier from the other site, are they useful to understand the sound quality of the amp (since it just implements the LM3886)?

Attachments

• Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier Crosstalk Measurements.png
    Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier Crosstalk Measurements.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier FFT Spectrum Measurements.png
    Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier FFT Spectrum Measurements.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier Frequency Response Measurements.png
    Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier Frequency Response Measurements.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier Measurements.png
    Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier Measurements.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier Power vs Distortion at 4 Ohm Measurements.png
    Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier Power vs Distortion at 4 Ohm Measurements.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier SNR Measurements.png
    Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier SNR Measurements.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier THD vs Frequency Measurements.png
    Neurochrome Modulus-286 Power Amplifier THD vs Frequency Measurements.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 57
Sure, I've seen enough heads banged up in construction site.

As I understand it Chris said there is no problem in having the acoustic measured, but have not arrived at clear correlation of the measured quantity to perception of location. I stated I hope to see some progress before my time is up. That is all.

Ok, have you any suggestions where to start?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yes, very true. I can't stand listening to a drum live. I can't stand to stay inside Planet Hollywood due to the loud music for example. But most of the characters of instruments, techniques (fingerings etc.) or vocals come from the low level detail that is easily lost (or modified) in speakers and amplifiers.

We are on the same page then give or take a few semantics that don't really matter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.