Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
@snup: u have completely lost me now.

At risk of daring to try and put this thread back on track. KEF Blade Two loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com. Not sure I have seen a set of measurements this good before.
JBL M2. Superb flatness on axis, very smooth off-axis response. I criticize them for bundling it with Levinson power amps (it does have a little electronic EQ), not because Levinsons are bad but because customers want to mix and match things.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
For some reason I thought the M2s were more expensive than that. Actually 'affordable' for the performance. Not sure memsahib would allow them in the living room tho!
Toole said he will be installing them in his living room. Remarkably, his wife is in accord. Right now most of the loudspeakers for the 7.1 channel system are long narrow Infinity ones on poles, considerably less obtrusive

He will be getting a decent discount too, I'm sure, although he has formally retired from Harman.

As they say, there's nothing new under the sun! Things are worked out, then put away on a shelf to gather dust, and largely forgotten, dismissed - it's all very amusing, standing at a distance from it all ... :cool:

I was investigating sites that measure speaker driver behaviour, and went to DIY-Loudspeakers, and came across a mention of Einstein The Amp, http://einstein-audio.de/en/history/
I never thought I'd buy a twenty years old solid state amp, but this one is special. This 60 wpc amp runs the ATS-4 - all of it - without any trouble. The most dynamic and deep bass I've ever heard from a 60 watt solid state. Bought for 800 € on eBay 2013. It may not have the holographic midrange of the GlowMaster, but overall coherence is phenomenal. And it's very much class AB... never say never.
This type of capability sounds very familiar, so looked around and found some internal pics, but these back at Einstein-The-Amp are the best ... . Notice there are a few caps inside, ;)?? The oomph of all-conquering power supplies weaves its magic, Yet Again, :) ...

Last edited:
The interesting thing is, that it's very easy to verify both via simulations and real world experimenting that the quality of power supplies is extremely important, yet they are nearly always treated as being of second order importance. My ears over the years have had to endure much mediocre sound from systems lacking quality engineering in this area, and it seems this trend will continue ...

Status
Not open for further replies.