Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I don't think there's more than 30 miles from my home to Obrenovac. You may remember the place as it was virtually sunk by recent floods, very badly hit. A lot of the Balkans floods shots were from there.

Of course, I'd like to hear it, but at this time, it's not possible. During my absence, there was nobody to control the builders, so they did actually nothing. Works are to resume tomorrow, and given the rate at which they are progressing, I'll be overrun with them for at least a month and a half.

Jethro Tall?

“Thick as a brick” 1972 Vinyl and 40th Anniversary Edition CD.
The sense of immediacy of a troubadour playing a guitar and singing, is totally gone with that CD mix.
But polite and very Hi-Fi (politically correct) sound.
WTF!

George
The recent one with the DVD size case and extras, isn't it? I read less than stellar reviews, and decided to skip it.

And, from the, "source," as it were: "“I have to make my judgments based on selling as many records as possible. That’s my brief. So even though there might be audiophiles who say you shouldn’t do this, well, I’m sorry, audiophiles, you’re a very small part of the market.”"

TIL... :)
Most of the vocals on that album were Mick Abrahams. Talk about an accent, listen to his intro to "The Change Song" on Blodwyn Pig's "Ahead Rings Out."

So you are cultural cousins with Greece and ancient history cousins with Denmark perhaps. =p

No, I like Danish ham, butter and bakery, but to the best of my knowledge, I am in no way even remotely related.

More like down nearer to you - Austria. My father's mother was pure Wiennese 7 centuries back. From her side of the family, I am a bit nationally related to Pavel Macura (PMA), as a grand-grand somebody was Czech.

That's how it goes in my part of the world. Over time, many have mixed with many others, many are actually related one way or another with many others. Look at present day Serbia - we currently legally and constitutionally recognize 21 ethnic minorities, which means they all get government subsidies, have schools and newspapers on their own language, etc. Some are small, others not small at all. In fact, we are one of very few countries which recognize the Roma (Gypsies everywhere, Pikies in UK) as a bona fide ethnic minority.

Regrading ancient, we are, as a Slavic nation, remotely (13 centuries back) related to the Russians, from the days when the Caucassus tribes moved from there to down here (4-7 century), the great tribe migration.

Last edited:
One of the tests I use now is that I find an audiophile system posted online, find the MP3 or FLAC of that, and listen to the difference.

The recording of systems playing a tune compared to the source on my PC reveals clearly what those systems do that my chain does not. Harmonic and tonal accuracy, reverb, echo, and the sound of the room of the recording (not the sound of the listening room) are clear as day.

Listen to the original of Blood Sweat and Tears "Sometimes in Winter" on your system, and then listen to this on the highest video resolution setting as the lower the dpi the more compression and lossy encoding YT applies to the audio:

World's Greatest Audio Systems, Bobby's Super System
11m40sec
World's Greatest Audio Systems, Bobby's Super System - YouTube

Listen to the treble, the snare, the vocals - sounds fantastic compared to my FLAC of the same track on my headphones here.

Please - I know what most of you think of audiophiles. Let it rest regarding the mockery of this guys set up and just compare the sound and tell me if you can hear the difference in SQ.

I refound this list :BEST SOUNDING RECORDINGS
I do only have some of this but the list makes sense to me.

Have these on his list :

MCBROOM/MAYORGA-GROWING UP IN HOLLYWOOD TOWN-SHEFFIELD LAB 13
I'VE GOT THE MUSIC IN ME-THELMA HOUSTON-SHEFFIELD LAB-2
BELAFONTE AT CARNEGIE HALL-RCA LSO-6006 (CLASSIC REISSUE)**
BELAFONTE RETURNS TO CARNEGIE HALL-RCA LS0-6007 (CLASSIC REISSUE)**
JAMES NEWTON HOWARD & FRIENDS-SHEFFIELD LAB 23
STRAVINSKY-THE FIREBIRD-DORATI-MERCURY SR90226 (CLASSIC REISSUE)
VARESE-ARCANA/INTEGRALES/IONISATION-MEHTA-DECCA SXL 6550/LONDON CS 6752/LONDON ENTERPRISE 414 170-1
THE WEAVERS-REUNION IN CARNEGIE HALL-ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS-APF 005 (180 GRAM)
RAVEL-WORKS FOR ORCHESTRA-SKROWAEZEWSKI-ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS APC 007
STRAVINSKY-THE RITE OF SPRING-MUTI-MOBILE FIDELITY MFSL 1-519

:drink:

I just tuned into Radio Venice. What a wonderful channel. Classical music. To think the phone cable was put in in 1966. It was dug up 10 years ago and looked like it should have died 30 years ago. It is in a hosepipe! We built a new part of the house aground it. Then it is joined to a very old BT box. Next the modem. Then sin of sins it travels through the very unusual PVC multi-strand mains house wiring of 1966. Absolutely like the day it was installed. It then retrieves it's digits and enters the Panasonic hard-drive recorder. It has internet facilities. Next the 1967 Quad amp and Magneplanars. What a lovely sound. The irony is the 1966 phone line would do a poor imitation of AM radio for it's early life. Same cable and same 30 year old BT box. As I said to Colleen it's like expecting our food to come through the water pipe and yet still be able to get water. This is no recommendation of best practice. Quite the opposite. For all of that it is good enough to make most equipment at a hi fi show regardless of cost sound a bit false. I never have a moment when I want to switch it off. Crap sounds OK thorough it. Not better than usual, acceptable.

You might Wonder why I should use a system like this? It evolved around the TV as a second system of bits I was too attached to to sell. Gradually I used it more and more. Now without it being intended as the main system it has become that. I have a lot of pride in not wanting better. I know of better but don't crave it. I even make better sometimes. I have bought some valve bases and must start a new amp or two. I will get my OB speakers working again. I miss them and feel they did offer the Maggie's competition. I distrust valve amps but thought the last was better than the Quad.

A resent shock was trying a humble Rotel RA 931 amp with the Maggie's . Eventually I blew it's fuses ( OK after replacement). Up to that point I loved it. It was better than the Quad, That surprised me as the Quad is blameless. The Rotel was neutral also. That contradicts my experience of them in budget hi fi's. That was likely to be the speakers I was listening to. A rather warm and saccharine sound. Where is scored over the Quad was the space around things, the Quad is OK at that. I should point out the Quad is very easily clipped in the 33 preamp. I avoid that and do not have the typical closed in sound of most peoples Quad systems. The 33 is actually a first class performer withing a very narrow window of use. The power amp is 20 years advanced on it. If you have a 303 it is worth building a preamp as it can do the business.

For 20 years I never gave this system a second thought. It was slinging the Maggies on that miracles started to happen. I did it as I thought it 99% likely to be a disaster. I did it mostly to say I had. My friend Martina introduced me to them. She even repairs them. She said " you know most people don't get that sound Nigel".

I refound this list :BEST SOUNDING RECORDINGS
I do only have some of this but the list makes sense to me.
Straightaway noticed "THE SINGING BOWLS OF TIBET-ALAIN PRESENCER-SAYDISC SDL 326" - couldn't do better to make it obvious to thick eared objectivists where CD playback trips over itself, unless properly sorted out. I do have a CD of this type of material, recorded by a practioner, so all the emphasis is on the playing of the "instruments", not on making it sound "nice" by playing tricks in a fancy studio!

And of course this sounds dreadful unless the system is decent shape - it doesn't sound anything like what it's supposed to, the rich interweaving of the very high harmonics sounds like total sludge, dead as a doornail - boring, boring, boring, tedious, tedious, tedious!! But, it comes to life as the system settles down, stabilises - the intense, high ringing tones which feel like they're resonating inside your skull emerge and come together, it sounds like the real thing ...

Status
Not open for further replies.