Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Sound Quality Vs. Measurements
Sound Quality Vs. Measurements
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2013, 06:23 PM   #10671
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I think one difference between British cooking and some other cuisines is that we actually like the taste of our food, while others seem to prefer the taste of seasonings, herbs, spices etc. so the actual food itself is swamped. We like roast meat - that's all, just roast it. We like potatoes - simply boiled or steamed so all you taste is the potato. Etc.

Now I enjoy an occasional Italian or curry as a change, but I wouldn't want to eat such things every day. If others don't like British food then the solution is simple: don't eat it!

Maybe it is because our food is/was relatively unadulterated that we were for many years so good at hi-fi: we liked our audio unadulterated too.
LOL on both accounts .........
Old 1st November 2013, 07:03 PM   #10672
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
Ha..ha..

dvv, I heard it "Illegal, Immoral, or Fattening"..

all the same I guess.
Well, perhaps technically they are different, but in the end, it boils down to the same - not good for you.

On the other hand, whatever I think of as tasty, turns out to have lots of cholesterol or something else working hard to kill you.

Perceptions are hard at work as well. For example, tell a Serb that you serve beans for breakfast (as in ye olde England) and he'll probably think you're off your rocker. He has no idea that British beans are just that, beans in straight tomato sauce, whereas his idea of beans is: beans, tomato sauce, lots of carrots, lots of onioins, black ground pepper, some (little) red hot ground chili and at the very least lots of smoked ribs. If done well, it'll have you licking your fingers, but easy on the stomach it is not. It has to simmer for at least 4 hours, preferably more, then to cool off completely. Best served the next day, when the process of osmosis is complete.

A plate of that and you'll understand all about The Force. You'll also notice that The Force is strongest somewhat below your waistline, on your back side. Fear not - this is NOT covered by the Geneva Convention.

Last edited by dvv; 1st November 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 1st November 2013, 07:11 PM   #10673
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

One word... Beano.
Old 1st November 2013, 07:41 PM   #10674
diyAudio Member

DF96,

While I find British food a bit bland, I readily admit it is healthier than my local food, with lots of taste, but not nearly so healthy.

I also find the British audio to be a bit bland (overall, although of course there were exceptions), a bit lacking in life and pazzazz, as our American friends would say. Sometimes souding slow and lazy.

British audio did come up with a few items I'd kill for. Spendor BC3, for example, was a most un-British speaker, fast, lively, even ferocious on occasion. It might as well have been built by JBL or Altec.

There was another monitor class, 3 way Rogers speaker, which completely obliterated my perceptions of the quantity and quality of bass available from an 8 inch driver. A wonderfully even handed, well balanced sound. I forgot the model designation, current in the second half of the 70ies.

Some Meridian CD players also stuck in my memory as being highly desirable. And the only amplification from the UK I would have loved to have owned in its day was from a now gone company called Armstrong. They had a fabulouly sounding receiver, and later on, a 200W/ch power amp.

I realise these are personal perceptions hard at work, no universal truth carved in stone. Please don't misunderstand, I am not implying that British audio is bad per se, I am simply saying it is generally not to my taste. My general orientation regarding amplification and speakers has always been turned towards U.S. of A. and Germany. Both have turned out some wicked products over time.

As for tuners, which I am emotionally very attached to, I have yet to hear a Brtitish tuner sound better than my reVox B760, although I must add that even for them, this was a one-off product, which their later production could never catch up with.

My open reel tape decks were from Germany (first two, Uher of Munich) and the last from nominally Holland, actually made in Austria, Philips. A monster machine, which ousted reVox as the reference machine in German audio press, I sold it in 1995, as tapes started becoming rare and abnormally expensive.

But, oddly enough, I kept my Sony TC-K 808 ES cassette deck. That machine astounded me with sound I never thought possible from a cassette deck, including in my view mostly overrated Nakamichi models (although their Dragon model is usually used as THE reference, and rightly so). Even today, with awful quality tape from some cellar in China, it still manages to shine. It's not going anywhere.

Last edited by dvv; 1st November 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 1st November 2013, 07:42 PM   #10675
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One word... Beano.
Turbo Beano in Serbia.
Old 1st November 2013, 07:51 PM   #10676
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think Viz's Johnny Fartpants is more appropriate than any character in The Beano.

Also While I would almost instantly dismiss all british HiFi speakers (except Tannoy) british active studio monitors (ATC, PMC and Quested) are second to none.

Last edited by Charles Darwin; 1st November 2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:18 AM   #10677
hpeter is offline hpeter  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Calories and Fat be damned!
*knock knock*
"whos there?" burp..
"your second bypass, dear sir"
mmmkay... but just let me finish first that big, fat piece of pork in my hands
Old 2nd November 2013, 06:10 PM   #10678
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

OK, less feast on this for awhile ...

What the hell are we looking at here with this resistor fest .....?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg krellkst100.jpg (173.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg krell kst100b.jpg (160.7 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by a.wayne; 2nd November 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 3rd November 2013, 08:22 PM   #10679
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
OK, less feast on this for awhile ...

What the hell are we looking at here with this resistor fest .....?
We be lookin' at a Krell product, Massa Wayne. Looks a lot like either their power stabilizers, or two channels of someting really mean.

Older generation, where you see Motorola MJ 15025/15026 today you'd see MJ 4281/4301 and its metal can, 250W high speed replacements, metal can package of my MJL 3281/1302 A plastic pack 200W output devices.

Those trannies can ROCK!
Old 3rd November 2013, 10:14 PM   #10680
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

It's written on the pcb.. Krell KST-100.

A lot more pics here

Sound Quality Vs. MeasurementsHide this!Advertise here!