NASA's UARS satellite

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The reentry for the NASA's UARS satellite is now scheduled for 0:00 - 04:00 UT (GMT) on the 24th of September (like this coming midnight or 5-9 PM Mountain.

This little bird is described as being about the size of a small bus!

While the individual odds of getting hit by it are guestimated in parts per billion or more, it's not nothing.

So to honor the occaision I reprint a song I wrote as the unknown singer in the late seventies:

Got Hit By A Piece Of Skylab (C. D.J.Pedersen 1979)

Got hit by a piece of Skylab
It wasn't very big
Came screaming dowm out of the sky
and ricochetted off a twig
It hit me right between the eyes
the results are plain to see
I got this bandage on my head
cause skylab fell on me.

Well I looked down and seen it lying there
so I picked it up off the ground
I figured I could take it back
to the NASA lost and found
It was about three inches long
and as I wiped off the dust
I saw these words upon it:
"Please Push To Flush"

(bridge)
Now you may think it's funny
About my accident
But I'm glad that's the part that hit me
and not the contents!

And you may think you're safe now
and I don't want to make you blue
But if you'll just remember:
The russians had one too!

Doc

Last edited:
I did do it on the air at Salt Lake's #1 top 40 FM on a morning drive show, but I doubt it made it to Boston. There was however quite a spate of similar songs that showed up in the dead vinyl box at the station when it happened. I think I still have some in my "Ohmygod it made it to vinyl" 45 box.
Doc

I was a broadcast engineer for KRSP in 77-79. Left for six month stint at Montek as prototype tech in microwave lab. 15 minutes after they learned they didn't get TACAN II contract I was on street. So I loaded my VW bus and headed for Silicon Valley.
Ever meet Ken Meyer? He was one of my early mentors. Then Tom Dawson at Montek (learned a lot from both!) Previous to KRSP gig I was resident pinball/video mechanic for Billiards Palace at 39th & 9th.
Doc

Okay, last report as all websites have overloaded:

Currently over Egypt and still flying. Flew over Florida this afternoon but it was raining. I can see the ISS on most late afternoon passes if the weather is clear. Iridiums are hit and miss, but some are bright.

live trackers:

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=21701 overloaded and freezes up a lot but correct when it works.

Real Time Tracking and Positioning of UARS satellite 1991-063B identified by NORAD 21701 works but runs about 15 minutes behind the others.

UARS NASA SATELLITE 3D Tracking on USTREAM: Its Interesting Science, Space, Weather news ... not this Hollywood stuff. works but stuffs in commercials every 15 minutes

Geez that sucker grew wings and is STILL up there! But here at least is a text update with a big enough server not to crash.
NASA - UARS

Update #13
Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:55:17 PM MDT

As of 10:30 p.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 85 miles by 90 miles (135 km by 140 km). Re-entry was expected between 11:45 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 12:45 a.m., Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time (3:45 a.m. to 4:45 a.m. GMT). During that time period, the satellite was passing over Canada and Africa, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety was very remote. NASA is working to confirm the re-entry location and time and will provide an update shortly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.