What is the "best" tube amp / speaker / source you have ever used?

Preferred topology (If any)

• PP

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • PPP

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • PSE

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • SET

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • SEP

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • OTL

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
After looking at the what is best tube / SS,

Looking at a combination of components..

It would be interesting to hear what DIY tube amp / speaker / source combination people have used that they regarded as a " world beater" in their opinion, or best they have ever used...and why they thought it was so good.

I know its a very open question... :)

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Baby Huey / KLS9's / Guiness etc

It's Saturday night after all.............:drink:

I must admit I thought the Baby Huey may be in the line up. Looking at the thread it seems to be a world beater DIY amp. A favorite it seems..the Guiness must be the placebo HIFI component..:cheers:

Wavebourn...the carboard tube has no power so it dosen't count..I bet you have a favorite topology though for home listening. :)
Not SS is it? ;)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
The best Amp I ever heard- Lamm ML-2s, Best Amp I could afford- my own 45 parafeed

Best Source- my own HW-19 with AT-1005 arm and Soundsmith re-built Aurum Beta S (not for the lack of hearing 4 box cd players, Oracles Linns and Rockports)...it pleases me

Best Phono Stage- Steve Browns Caravaggio now that's a world-beater and the only electronics I didn't build

Best Speakers- XLH 1812s
Best speakers I can afford- my DIY 4Pis

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
No, it is not Solid State. It is Organic. And it amplifies the sound definitely, you may try. No tubes, no transistors, no capacitors, no membrane, just moving air and waveguide.

Cupping your hands around your ears also has this effect of amplification. Have a look at stormsonic's avatar ;)
:D

Tony.

Huh...? Farting into a funnel ...?.........:scratch:

We don't discuss here what kind of music do you prefer. We discuss best DIY amplifiers.

Cupping your hands around your ears also has this effect of amplification. Have a look at stormsonic's avatar ;)
:D

Sure, it is most organic amp. But rolling it from paper makes it DIY Audio.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Interesting,

If we look at the results so far of the poll, PP seems to be dominant. However if we add all the types of SE together it is in the lead at the moment!

:)

Hopefully more people will add their preference. Some really interesting systems and ideas so far.

Regards
M. Gregg

my fave I think was a pp valve amp

I have had many single ended amps, one 845 and about 5 300bs, I htink the single ended argument is false, I have never heard a good one, they all sounded rather thin to me, I think they are pretty dependant on the psu and driver stage, I d on't mean theortical design, nor psudo black gate caps, nor any other bull, I just mean sensitive to them, and the driver stage also probly gives the "coloration" to the amp.

most have had srpp driver stages, but I did fiddle, and they all sound a bit weedy and thin, I don't buy the argument that you have to have the best parts, the best mesh tubes, the best transformers, I have tried all that and little difference, there's little substitute for pure muscle, I do suspect tho that pp and feedback may well cancel out some good things in doing that to the bad things, eg distortion and noise, some nuances may get nulled, too, but I am almost finished with single ended, going to have another go tho' for fun one day.

I like the simplicity tho and cheapness of an s.e., they really should be dirt cheap but robbers abound, talk about rip off prices for some tubes, 300b should be little dearer than el34's. I think it may all be a big con.

pure pentode mode sounds best when you have a triode/pentode switch, so much for trying to do triode on the cheap, pentodes are brighter, triode mode sounds terminally dull to me.

I am clever enuff to design my own drivers stages and preamp and can design an amp. I certainly don't buy the 6% more conductivity silver wire brings again its just a big con.

why on earth should the simplest, cheapest topology cost the most? think about it, its a BIG BIG con simplest amp sound be cheapest

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.