Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Best sounding SS rectifiers?
Best sounding SS rectifiers?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2018, 06:53 AM   #61
DSP_Geek is offline DSP_Geek  Canada
diyAudio Member

"And you'd think that none of this would make it past the filter caps, but then again noise can be transmitted via common mode which could be picked up by an external measuring instrument but which wouldn't be present in the currents driving the load necessarily."

Electrolytics are quite inductive above a few hundred kHz, so high frequency rectifier crud could sail right past them into the rest of the circuit. Simply bypassing with film caps isn't a panacea either because that could set up a nasty resonant tank if the big cap has low enough series resistance.
Old 7th July 2018, 03:09 PM   #62
Sergi4 is offline Sergi4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawreyrw View Post
Does anyone really think they can hear the difference in a well designed power supply?

Why not, if a fuse change can be heard, or a mains cable, or a mains socket change?

There is a moment, 100 or 120 times every second, just when the diodes are on, that all those elements are VERY directly coupled to your speakers, perhaps more that any other signal. Being the diodes the closest element, as they are in the nearest side of the trafo, it seems that they should have some influence.

Talking about LPS, of course.

Best Regards.
Old 7th July 2018, 11:46 PM   #63
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergi4 View Post
Why not, if a fuse change can be heard, or a mains cable, or a mains socket change?
If it's as stated, a "well designed" power supply, I'd be surprised if any of these changes could be detected in a DBT.

Quote:
There is a moment, 100 or 120 times every second, just when the diodes are on, that all those elements are VERY directly coupled to your speakers, perhaps more that any other signal.
There was some recent power supply "did away" with that direct-connection-during-forward-diode-conduction thing by only pulling current from the main capacitors (presumably to charge some other downstream capacitors) at times other than when the diodes were conduction. I recall it was discussed on DIYaudio in the last year or two, and I remember an article or blurb on it using this sort of language of "your whole system is directly connected to the power line when the rectifiers are forward conducting" and how this special power supply was the solution.

But I can't imagine anything on the line and coming through the transformer and diodes being as bad as the actual 120Hz sawtooth wave that's always at the main filter capacitors. Even so, some RF filtering and flyback suppressor circuitry is a lot cheaper than that fancy power supply that prevents the dreaded "direct connection to the power line."
Old 8th July 2018, 02:10 AM   #64
CFT is offline CFT  United States
diyAudio Member

Applying GaN transistor as a replacement of SiC rectifier

Si -> SiC -> GaN

Ahead of time.
Old 8th July 2018, 03:24 AM   #65
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think erin hear maybe a difference of voltage operation when he used the other part.

Personally, The only thing I could perceive and measure is a sag in inadequate rectifiers with tubes.

What you hear is maybe not related to the rectifier quality but the output voltage for a DAC.

Your mind can play some tricks on you!

1n4007, doubled for bigger amps with capacitor equalization can surge any peak amplifier demands especially if doubled to 2 amps

If you are building a mega thousands of dollar amplifier, yes a 2.5$ specialty SiC diode is justified... I have those which can give 0 reverse current, smallest capacitance, a + T coef on Vf, able to switch to 1mhz and withstand solid state rectifiers power sequence with over 1000V peak surges.

If the 1n4007 sound bad, then I am going to go build planes.

(choke input? warrrrggg noooo, don't do this please! )

Last edited by gabdx; 8th July 2018 at 03:29 AM.
Old 8th July 2018, 10:20 PM   #66
Sergi4 is offline Sergi4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
If it's as stated, a "well designed" power supply, I'd be surprised if any of these changes could be detected in a DBT.

Ok, it's a personnel belief. I've experienced SQ improvements with cable changes, and others I trust, have confirmed me benefits in changing normal rectifiers by schottky diodes. Benefits that extend to all the surrounding echosystem, as they introduce less dirty in the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
There was some recent power supply "did away" with that direct-connection-during-forward-diode-conduction thing by only pulling current from the main capacitors (presumably to charge some other downstream capacitors) at times other than when the diodes were conduction. I recall it was discussed on DIYaudio in the last year or two, and I remember an article or blurb on it using this sort of language of "your whole system is directly connected to the power line when the rectifiers are forward conducting" and how this special power supply was the solution.

But I can't imagine anything on the line and coming through the transformer and diodes being as bad as the actual 120Hz sawtooth wave that's always at the main filter capacitors. Even so, some RF filtering and flyback suppressor circuitry is a lot cheaper than that fancy power supply that prevents the dreaded "direct connection to the power line."

The 120Hz sawtooth wave is the easiest thing to eliminate. Thre are lots of good designs of regulated LPS with very very low ripple related to mains.
Dealing with RF is much more difficult. RF filtering in an power amplifier, ie,...mmm...... u can't use chokes if you don't want increase the impedance.

Regards.

Best sounding SS rectifiers?Hide this!Advertise here!