Culture (was:Marketing Terms - in plain cruel words!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How can anyone who loves movies watch a dubbed movie??

Amen!

Some years ago when I was living in a more rural, rustic area, I went to our local video store to rent Night of the Shooting Stars. In big letters, the box said "Subtitled." I took it to the counter, the guy looks at it and says, "You know, that film is subtitled." Yes, I know. "That means you have to read the words in English at the bottom." Yes, I know. "OK, I needed to warn you, some of our customers complained." Oh, why, did their lips get tired 15 minutes into the film? The clerk looked totally blank at that.

SY said:

Amen!

Some years ago when I was living in a more rural, rustic area, I went to our local video store to rent Night of the Shooting Stars. In big letters, the box said "Subtitled." I took it to the counter, the guy looks at it and says, "You know, that film is subtitled." Yes, I know. "That means you have to read the words in English at the bottom." Yes, I know. "OK, I needed to warn you, some of our customers complained." Oh, why, did their lips get tired 15 minutes into the film? The clerk looked totally blank at that.

In the flemish part of Belgium nothing is dubbed, but in the french part almost everything is dubbed. Although I have to admit that sometimes when they screen a good film, they broadcast the original version with subtitles on another chanel, simultaniously.

It's probably something you have to get used to.
I had a relative who was in the army in Germany. His german wife just couldn't watch a subtitled movie. It was extremely difficult she said. And she could read. She just wasn't used to it.

It's also a great way of learning a foreign language, without doing an effort.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
DIY_Peter said:

So you think it's a good idea to let american actors star in a british production?
Well, I don't.
It just wont be the same thing, no mather how good that american actor is.

You are talking about two different things when mentioning a stage production and a TV series. In the stage production, the same play with the same dialog, plot, etc is performed. Very few changes, except for lighting, etc-which probably would have changed if the British actors had been retained anyway.

In a TV series, the basic idea for the series is retained and the episode plots, names of characters, setting, etc. are all changed. Comparing one to the other is not really feasible.

Incidentally, often the stars of the British production come to Broadway, but the supporting roles are played by Americans. Some time ago, Jonathan Pryce was not allowed to come to an American production of a show for some reason. However, most of the time the English stars do come over.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/06/04/wtony04.xml

It's an unbelievably competitive profession where many talented people either get discovered very late after struggling for many years, or never get discovered at all. Every break helps. Each nation has the right to make policies for the benefit of their own people.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
SY said:
Remakes in general are awful. The American version of Iron Chef, in its original form certainly one of the greatest shows ever on television, was just horrible. A remake of Father of the Bride?

Again, a television series is rarely a "remake" in the normal sense. However, if you are going to call a series based on the general idea of an earlier series a "remake", I would mention that both "All In The Family" and "Sanford & Son" were based on an English series, as well as many others.

Over here, most people consider these two classic shows.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.