What's your definition of DIY?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi abraxalito,

I know there are a lot of speakers costing thousands, i mean the speakers I can afford.

but I do think there are working very smart designers at the big companys, and they have the companys reasons for the way they disign the way they do. If I was working for someone else I wouldnt spend so many owers perfecting my pcb's. Looking for the best parts for the disign, you know what i mean :)

Also, I only have to think about what’s good for me and not about what’s good for everyone else for the lowest price possible.

of course for mosed people diy (at least not for me) is not only about the money. I don’t want to count the money spent, I guess I could buy a very nice stereo with it…:eek:

I know there are a lot of speakers costing thousands, i mean the speakers I can afford.

Right, I got ya. And doing DIY is a great way to be able to afford much better speakers than you could otherwise find in shops for similar money.

but I do think there are working very smart designers at the big companys, and they have the companys reasons for the way they disign the way they do.

But in my estimation, putting the wrong constraints on the designer is a way to make the resulting designs less smart. This has happened to me in the past so I'm speaking from personal experience. I doubt I'm alone. Those 'company reasons' seen from an engineering perspective aren't often sensible. Its sensible for example to constrain that a design is saleable, but another constraint often in place is it must be able to be sold through existing channels, rather than being an opportunity to open up some new ones. This is a great limitation on an engineer's ingenuity.

If I was working for someone else I wouldnt spend so many owers perfecting my pcb's. Looking for the best parts for the disign, you know what i mean :)

I think here (and more explicitly in the sentences I've snipped out) you touch on one of the huge benefits in DIY - that engineering, marketing and the customer are one and the same person. Thus the resulting product is always fit for purpose :D

But in my estimation, putting the wrong constraints on the designer is a way to make the resulting designs less smart. This has happened to me in the past so I'm speaking from personal experience. I doubt I'm alone. Those 'company reasons' seen from an engineering perspective aren't often sensible. Its sensible for example to constrain that a design is saleable, but another constraint often in place is it must be able to be sold through existing channels, rather than being an opportunity to open up some new ones. This is a great limitation on an engineer's ingenuity.
Exact what I mean :) the engineers are limited not stupid ;).

Exact what I mean :) the engineers are limited not stupid ;).

Well that's quite a narrow meaning of 'stupid' - more narrow than the one I was hinting at. To me it is stupid to some degree to stay at such a company when it stifles one's creative urges. Putting such constraints on engineers is equally stupid. Much better to start up your own business where creative juices can flow unimpeded than live a constricted life...:cool:

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
For me DIY is a creative outlet. There is a certain satisfaction in looking at something and being able to say "I made that!" My first amplifier was made on matrix board from bits and pieces scavanged (some bought) from a circuit diagram I found in a magazine. My second was a complete kit. My third was a P2P LM3886 where the entire thing was DIY apart from the design which was based on brianGT's schematic.

My MTM's are completely my own design. and I'm currently working on (occasionally) an active crossover, some of which is borrowed (B1 buffers) and some of which is my own design as much as one can claim that when it is inspired from the work of others.

The important part about DIY for me is that it allows me to create something, and in the process learn something as well...

In reality my first DIY experiences were mechanical, fixing the lawn mower that was the tool that allowed me to earn some pocket money, and later my car. I progressed from being scared to change the thermostat, to completely stripping and rebuilding the engine myself.

But the more creative of my DIY efforts are my p2p Chipamp and my MTM speakers :) in the period I wasn't doing any DIY I was much more heavily into photography... I just need that creative outlet! Whilst I don't create things with the same level of perfection that many here do, my gallery has some examples and I don't think that they are too bad :)

Tony.

For me, DIY is building something from components. That includes kits, provided that 'component' does not mean a fully-populated PCB which just needs mounting in a box. DIY can include combining someone else's PCB with circuitry of my own design. Minor changes to a unit bought fully-built is not really DIY, although it may involve some of the same skills, so is legitimate on here as a fringe activity.

Asking on 'DIYaudio' for advice on which factory-built item matches another factory-built item, as some do, seems to suggest that some people think that 'DIY' can apply to opening the box and plugging it in. I suppose that some people pay someone else to do that for them!

Minor changes to a unit bought fully-built is not really DIY, although it may involve some of the same skills, so is legitimate on here as a fringe activity.
I think they call these things "gateway drugs" :D
It's a step in the right direction ;)

think that 'DIY' can apply to opening the box and plugging it in.
yup, that ain't DIY. Tough I've met people for whom that was already pushing it :confused:

DIY is do it yourself ,not DFM that is do it for me that includes fixing a broken piece of electronics(pre made or bought)or building from scratch at some level or all levels some of us buy boards and build cases and P/S, some even make their own boards...as long as you are doing something yourself it's all good.I was drawn here by the hafler DH200 Thread and was sucked into the Enigma known as Nelson Pass and his great passion for sharing and teaching as well as the eclectic mix of personalities that share and mentor...It's what keeps me coming back 5 times a day to see what ZM,Mooly, EUVL, Andrew,etc are going to say next to steer me and others in the right direction making me think things through and not handing out answers on a silver platter.

I digress now...
E

DIY means never having to go to Best Buy (US big box store). Don't know how to DIY a flat panel display though.

To DIY a Flat Panel Display is no harder than coupling a pair of precision high speed stepping motors to your Etch-A-Sketch for a SOTA flat screen panel display. The controller would be a bit more work.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
THIS is DIY:
Make: Online | Make your own vacuum tubes?

Well, no, maybe not. Digging up your own ore and making your own steel wire and sheets, and making your own glass from sand on the beach, THAT might be DIY.

Wait, you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. First you need to get rocks and then make your own sand!

Or make your own rocks, so you can make your own sand to make your own glass, or maybe make your own world, so you can make your own rocks...:confused:

I'm getting a bit confused. Maybe I'll just buy a world to save time.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tony,

very professional looking woodworking on your speakers!
my amplifiers are now on the level I want but I can still lurn a lot from people like you for my speakers!

Rik

Thanks Rik :) It required a lot of patience, something I didn't have for woodworking in my younger years! I really wasn't sure if I was going to be able to pull it off, but got there in the end :) There were a few near disasters, and they won't stand up to really close scrutiny, but not bad for a first try!

Tony.

Music lovers seem compelled...

to find a more accurate (to their ears) illusion. I remember my journey began back in the eighties when I fixed a dead table radio and ended up listening to it for hours on end because it was more musically satisfying than my Sony integrated amp.......one thing leads to another......and so it goes.

Cheers
Terry

To DIY a Flat Panel Display is no harder than coupling a pair of precision high speed stepping motors to your Etch-A-Sketch

The refresh rate would suck though.

The controller would be a bit more work.

Today we call those PC's. And yes, all of mine are DIY except the laptop. I am in the process of connecting one up to a trio of "precision high speed stepping motors." The motors will be connected to a wood router (more fun than an Etch a Sketch) for a DIY CNC machine, but that's a different forum. If I ever get it working, then DIY CNC meets DIY Audio for all sorts of fun projects like DIY guitars.

The refresh rate would suck though.

Today we call those PC's. And yes, all of mine are DIY except the laptop. I am in the process of connecting one up to a trio of "precision high speed stepping motors." The motors will be connected to a wood router (more fun than an Etch a Sketch) for a DIY CNC machine, but that's a different forum. If I ever get it working, then DIY CNC meets DIY Audio for all sorts of fun projects like DIY guitars.

I didn't mention the reflesh rate, as I didn't want to discourage anyone. :D

CNC is a blessing if you can afford it. A buddy of mine has both a CNC milling machine and a CNC router set-up for wood. He justifies it as a necessity for prototyping his line of audio gear. I've got an open invitation to stay over at his place for a week or two so we can pla...uh, experiment...with machining amplifier chassis, etc., out of billet stock. I'd certainly like to, and might talk him into a big thick faceplate for my amp...but who knows.

Best Regards,
Terry

Does DIY need a definition?

I guess if you haven't designed and built something from scratch then it can be an ambition to do so, it was for me, but in my case the something was a radio.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

It's all small stuff.

w

Just bought a scroll saw today, I'm going to make some enclosures, I can't get the ones I want off-the-shelf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.