Yo SY...were you on NPR recently?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Here's a link to the piece:

Plastic's New Frontier: No Scary Chemicals : NPR

The research was interesting enough to get me to move to Texas. :D

I think it's great that some of our members are involved in helping to make the world a bit safer of a place in which to live. Nice work you guys are doing Sy!
Thanks.

My guess is that the kids at a certain university located in Austin are hard at work trying to figure out how to make a water bong outta the darn stuff!! :D:D:D:D

holy crap...I just had a wtf moment. SY, why did you not sneak in a DIY AUDIO wuzzup folks tweet?

Common man, you missed the op.

It would have gone something like this....."....so the plastics industry is now experimenting with these techniques to reduce estrogen-like molecules from...DIY AUDIO RULEZ BITCHES!....leeching out into the solutions contained within the plastics and possibly into the environment, further creating a ...."TUBES ARE THE SH&T MUTHA F@#%$S!!!.....messy situation.

You know, something subtle like that.

Although it's still unclear whether any of these chemicals harm people, many consumers have shown that they are willing to pay more.

This kind of thing crops up all the time and I am unsure whether or not you were/are trying to be ironic. Lots of things are cited as being a 'possible' cause or possibly a risk factor when concerning certain things. Trouble is with a lot these 'could harm' stories, no one really knows . Naturally people take it to heart though and boom a market opens.

Of course it might be bogus, but that doesn't stop the scientific challenge from being any less enjoyable, if that's how you get your kicks.

This kind of thing crops up all the time and I am unsure whether or not you were/are trying to be ironic. Lots of things are cited as being a 'possible' cause or possibly a risk factor when concerning certain things. Trouble is with a lot these 'could harm' stories, no one really knows .

Exactly correct. No one knows for sure. We can't take 50,000 people and put them on one island, then dose them with xenoestrogens over several generations and compare them to 50,000 people on another island who have been carefully protected and see if there's a health or developmental difference. Epidemiology and toxicology are noisy sciences and it takes a long time to reach firm conclusions. But... some (I'm one) argue that if the cost of preventing the potential issue is minimal, why not avoid it? Others disagree, feeling that no-one should do anything until all of the health effects are completely established. Still others feel that if there's even a chance of a problem, ignore the costs and start banning things left and right.

Nonetheless, the science of xenoestrogen detection and prevention is solid and extensively peer-reviewed (including double-blind validation studies!)- the honest disagreement is over the question of what should be done with the data from a public health standpoint.

Exactly correct. No one knows for sure. We can't take 50,000 people and put them on one island, then dose them with xenoestrogens over several generations and compare them to 50,000 people on another island who have been carefully protected and see if there's a health or developmental difference. Epidemiology and toxicology are noisy sciences and it takes a long time to reach firm conclusions. But... some (I'm one) argue that if the cost of preventing the potential issue is minimal, why not avoid it? Others disagree, feeling that no-one should do anything until all of the health effects are completely established. Still others feel that if there's even a chance of a problem, ignore the costs and start banning things left and right.

Nonetheless, the science of xenoestrogen detection and prevention is solid and extensively peer-reviewed (including double-blind validation studies!)- the honest disagreement is over the question of what should be done with the data from a public health standpoint.

methylation -- or so says the molecular biologist in the household.

and while you're doing the desert island study with a pair of populations, flood one group with cash from a helicopter and see whether inflation develops. that's an experiment one of UChicago profs wanted to do about 40 years ago.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.