Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Snake oil or not?
Snake oil or not?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2011, 04:58 AM   #11
thune is offline thune
diyAudio Member

In my college days I certianly experienced that Southern Comfort only tastes good when drinking it straight from the bottle. So in this extreme case, how it hits the tounge (mainly NOT hitting it) makes a difference. (Lack of olfactory influence probably contributed heavily as well.)

Last edited by thune; 25th February 2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 25th February 2011, 05:12 AM   #12
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

I know in lead crystal--the alcohol leaches out the lead...

Since wine gives me a headache after a glass or two--never got around to trying in different glasses.

You should invite us all over to your house to taste your wine. We will gladly do repeated experiments with many glasses upended just to make sure. The experiment might end up with the biggest glass giving the best taste--so take that into consideration.
Old 25th February 2011, 01:30 PM   #13
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Snake oil or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
I know in lead crystal--the alcohol leaches out the lead...
A more polar solvent like vinegar will leach out quite a bit of lead. Alcohol will as well, but lesser quantities over time. I think that there was an NIH study done on this a few years back. The problem is about 1,000 times worse for earthenware which contains leaded white pigment (lead oxide), and it depends upon how the container was fired. So I would say you shouldn't drink wine in your Meissen teacups.

Parenthetically, the EPA and Consumer Affairs are reconsidering their draconian rules for lead content in children's toys (with the usual accompaniment of donkey braying). Legacy books will be exempted, so will things like bicycles.
Old 25th February 2011, 01:34 PM   #14
kevinahcc20 is offline kevinahcc20  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are a bourbon fan try Blanton's in any heavy short glass that's clean...very nice. If you like it try Buffalo Trace next...very close to Blanton's for less than half price! Cheers!
Old 28th February 2011, 03:43 AM   #15
PedroDaGr8 is offline PedroDaGr8  United States
diyAudio Member

x2 for Buffalo Trace. Great unassuming bourbon.
Old 28th February 2011, 03:47 AM   #16
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Yep, I'm a bourbon fan, so will definitely try it. But I'm mostly a bottom shelf guy, unless it's single malt scotch...
Old 28th February 2011, 08:26 PM   #17
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You need to remember that blind testing shows that wine lovers (including experts) base their 'taste' descriptions mainly on the colour of the wine. All this stuff about "a hint of blackberry" is based on colour. I recently saw a test on TV which showed that most ordinary people can't even tell red from white when they cant see the wine!!

Doubtless wine 'experts' will object to double-blind testing, on the grounds that the stress of it would blunt their fine perceptions. (and the outcome of it will blunt their reputation and future earnings?)
Old 28th February 2011, 08:43 PM   #18
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Snake oil or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
You need to remember that blind testing shows that wine lovers (including experts) base their 'taste' descriptions mainly on the colour of the wine. All this stuff about "a hint of blackberry" is based on colour. I recently saw a test on TV which showed that most ordinary people can't even tell red from white when they cant see the wine!!

Doubtless wine 'experts' will object to double-blind testing, on the grounds that the stress of it would blunt their fine perceptions. (and the outcome of it will blunt their reputation and future earnings?)
I don't find any of this hard to believe. I frequently (not always) fail my wife's blind wine taste test - rarely identifying the wine correctly unless it is one of a few varietals I drink rather regularly. Sometimes I know what it isn't, but not what it is.. Pretty amusing if a bit embarrassing actually.. Not sure she would do any better if the tables were turned..
Old 28th February 2011, 08:58 PM   #19
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Was that TV test a peer-reviewed double-blind test? I'd be interested to know more (though don't have a TV). While there are subtle aspects of wine that are difficult for most people to detect (some that I admit I don't detect), there are other tastes that are obvious! If there weren't, there'd be no reason to buy one wine over another (never mind any cost difference). I had a wine recently where the vanilla flavor was blatent, something I'd never tasted in a wine. No one mentioned that flavor to predispose us to it, yet it was obvious to everyone present. And then there are the differences between most reds and whites (notwithstanding the test you mention).

I don't expect you to believe me, though.

My point in this thread, and the reason for my responding now, however, is that while SOME people obviously won't be able to tell the differences among wines (or audio cables) - indeed, it may be that MOST people can't tell the differences - no doubt some are sensitive to the differences and CAN tell.

And that alone might explain some of the double-blind test results for a variety of things. If the test subjects are randomly chosen then I'd expect there to NOT be much ability to discern differences among wines or cables (or other things), and that would lead a researcher to say that statistically speaking, people in general can't discern the difference. But that doesn't mean NO ONE can tell the difference.

That was my mini epiphany. That while I may not be able to tell the difference between cables or power cords (at least thus far), I may just not be sensitive to those differences. But I AM, apparently (and surprisingly to me), sensitive to at least one red wine in two different glasses.

And I AM sensitive to the differences between single-ended and push-pull amplifiers...and single-malt vs blended whiskies.
Old 28th February 2011, 09:36 PM   #20
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Snake oil or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Doubtless wine 'experts' will object to double-blind testing, on the grounds that the stress of it would blunt their fine perceptions.
Quite the opposite. Blind testing is standard in the industry- besides the use of DBTs in day to day evaluations for quality and development purposes at most wineries (designing and running these tests was a good part of my job for over ten years), anyone wanting a certification (e.g., Master Sommelier, Master of Wine...) has to pass several DBTs. Judges at wine competitions are likewise tested for sensitivity using DBT methods. Interestingly, depending on the type of evaluation, one often uses black glasses to disguise the color of the wine.

In her interesting book "Emperor of Wine," Elin McCoy has a humorous account of a blind tasting that I was part of, set up by a famous wine writer to try to humiliate one of his critics. My cooking/drinking partner (a fireman by profession) correctly identified the country of origin of 24 out of 27 of the wines, and named four of them directly ("1991 Cote-Rotie, Marcel Guigal, La Landonne vineyard").

This is why I just roll my eyes when people who claim to hear all sorts of marvelous things can do nothing but make excuses when it's time to demonstrate these refined perceptions.

Snake oil or not?Hide this!Advertise here!