The food thread

The White Sturgeon which is the one you see in the video is catch and release only in our waters. In fact there are only a few locations where you are allowed to fish for it and that includes the lower and middle sections of the Fraser river.

That said, that fish was big enough to make it on all the newscasts. It's a previously un-caught fish as it was not tagged. Hard to believe as that fish was probably born around 1900.

Yes the Sturgeons were almost wiped out a hundred years ago (for their eggs) and have taken a very long time to bring back.

It ' s very good .
Never tried it. Don't know where to find it.
Different than most fish
in that there are no bones . Only cartilage .
Yes, not to different from a shark when you get right down to it.
( Something to do with being so primitive )
They are a true dinosaur.

I like the KFC Tuesday lunch deal. Drum and thigh plus fries. I get 6 of them and the Mrs. and I each have lunch for the rest of the week.

Cal's comment in another thread -- wanted to mention here that the foodies have discovered that one of the secrets to KFC is the abundance of white pepper in the breadcrumb coating.

Our KFC in East Hanover NJ closed. I used to buy a couple of buckets for the office and it would disappear in minutes.

There is a place near me here in Halifax called CHKN CHOP which cooks half-chickens in an automated rotisserie thing over a big trough of charcoal. Very popular. In Quebec they love their chicken, both fried and rotisserie, but KFC does not do so well compared to St Hubert and other chains like Au Coq. Earlier this year in Verdun a new chicken joint called Jack le Coq opened and the lineup went around the block for weeks. In Montreal's Plateau Mont Royal neighborhood there are Portuguese chicken places that serve rotisserie chicken served with a spicy piri-piri sauce which is iconic (How Portuguese Chicken Became an Iconic Montreal Dish - Eater Montreal).

No offense to anyone but I wouldn't cross the street for KFC (except to avoid it).

Here's a new topic - how many have tried a multi oven.

I was all for buying a range but the price for decent ones can be eye watering and then I looked at users reviews, then I considered did I want all that bending down to access the oven/s when I get really old and the ones available in Europe aren't a patch on the American ones. Virtually all have really basic pan supports unlike American ones where you can slide a pan right across the whole top. How many times have I acted quickly to stop a pan tipping over.

Then I happened to see lots of multi/ovens online. top and bottom elements, essential for tostado - the Andalucian breakfast made using a barra(baguette) cut in half and toasted both sides and ordinary toast or baking bread or cakes. Rotisserie - essential for meat eaters, chickens/turkey/duck/pork or beef. Convection for lots of cooking. The biggest plus over an air fryer is size, a leg of lamb - no problem.

Where the air fryer and the multi oven win hands down over a conventional oven or range cooker is ease of use because both can be sited at a height that makes cooking so easy, oh yes and price.

I bought as an experiment a cheap multi oven, a Klarstein, German company but made in China. It had 2 faults from new and rather than send it back to Germany (free postage there and back) I decided to remove the shell and take a look. If I hadn't got involved in modding hi-fi gear I would never have done this. I saw the problems, fixed them and I've used it now for 3 years, 2 functions have stopped working, so now it's time to buy a good one, probably a professional model. The Klarstein only cost €79.

Here again I looked at user reviews and even the pro ones have problems, so once again, take care in choosing.

I think that a microwave, a multi oven and/or an air fryer and a good hob unit are all that are needed in a modern kitchen. My one negative is that I cannot find a gas or electric hob that are as deep as the hob on a range cooker, the extra 10 cm is essential even using 'normal' sized pots. Being able to have the microwave and multi oven/air fryer at the right height to suit the cook slams the traditional cooker/range.

neighbor butchered a hog yesterday and brought over some fresh pork steaks:p

Attachments

• 20210806_200603.jpg
    20210806_200603.jpg
    777.6 KB · Views: 87