The food thread

Dates rolled in licorice root powder.
Not sweet at all, very licorice-y! Nice!

Attachments

• IMG_20210111_211312_071.jpg
    IMG_20210111_211312_071.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 125
Apparently, the vanilla market has crashed this year after a few years of craziness. I can't say that it is reflected in the prices in shops.

Nice looking cake!

Yeah, I was gifted a bottle of homemade vanilla extract and liked it - had 5 split beans in a 375ml bottle of vodka. I decided I'd buy some beans and make another batch - it was $35US for 5 beans!

I just put some more vodka back in the original bottle and called it good. And it surprisingly worked out fairly well.

I’m planning a Scottish dinner for this coming Sunday (Robert Burns Day eve). I found a local butcher who makes haggis on this occasion only and is taking preorders. Very excited to try it.

Meal plan:
Soup: ****-a-leekie
Main: haggis w/ clapshot & curly kale
Dessert: Cranachan

I’m making an excess of soup in the event that the haggis is not to everyone’s liking. Regardless, there will be plenty of scotch whisky to go round.

Replies from any Scottish forum members are encouraged!

Scot's have lots of reason to celebrate -- St. Andrew's feast and Robbie Burns. The Burns Society in a city which will go nameless is the only fraternal organization not allowing women members.

The St. Andrew's Society Dinner used to be at the Waldorf Astoria. (They put the Irish to shame when it turns to consumption of alcoholic beverage, perhaps not the Russians or Ukranians). One year after the dinner they were assembled in one of the bars ("The Bull and Bear) of the Waldorf and decided to march, en masse, up Fifth Avenue. It's been closed to traffic in that direction for over 50 years, but parades usually go that way. NY's finest stopped traffic for them.

Slàinte mhath

Suggestions for Brinkman.
For the Cokc a leekie, use an old hen for the broth and meat. Go easy on the black pepper and you can replace prunes with dates, no problem. Do you like to make yours with barley or potatoes? Both are good if your broth is.
For the Haggis, I hope to gawd they don’t pack it too tight and over stuff it with oats. Nothing worse than a haggis that won’t cook properly. Don’t be in a hurry when simmering. Ask your butcher what he recommends for the simmering liquid.
The clapshot is not my thing so no advice.
Fried Kale?
The dessert I will have to look up.

Thanks Cal. I’m going to call around tomorrow inquiring about stewing hens. Hopefully it’s not a special order item. The plan is to use barley in the soup as I have no recollection of ever having consumed barley in this manner and am curious. Prunes will also be added, per the recipe I am following. If the link doesn’t work, it’s a Guardian recipe by Felicity Cloake.

The kale will be stir-fried. It’s amusing to be making it for this meal as it’s one of the first “new to me” dishes I ever learned to cook as a young adult. Olive oil, minced garlic, then kale with a dash of salt seasoning and maybe some basalmic vinegar.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it looks like there’s too many redirects in the link. I described how to find it though.

Honestly, I don’t recall ever having beef and barley soup. It’s entirely possible I have but I’m typically a salad guy when asked soup or salad. My cooking for the last 20 years has been focused on Latin dishes due to my love of the cuisine and my wife’s ancestry. Only recently did I start branching out to learn Szechuan dishes. Now my wife thinks there’s a lady on the side.