The food thread

COVID Flour

Just about finished the 25# bag of flour purchased at the beginning of the pandemic:

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 86
please stay clear of potassium chloride. It will lower your heart rate, dangerously low! Most doctors/physicians commit suicide by injecting it! A chap who lives a few doors away was on potassium based medication. A couple of weeks ago, he blacked out while driving his car (he says at 80mph) and crashed into the central reservation. He wasn't badly hurt, the car was a right off, and a major road was closed for 3 hours! Well, at least it kept the grockles and emits out of the county for a while!

no, not OK. Potassium is very dangerous if self administered. It can (and will) kill if not strictly controlled. So using as a food additive is extrmely foolish. I am not ill informed, I have worked in the pharma industry as a chemist, and do know what I am talking about.

If you want to add 'salty' stuff to your food without using sodium or potassium, use calcium chloride, which we need in our diet, especially if we are old! It is available as food grade.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Actually, it lowers blood pressure and increases pulse rate.

Sodium was poison to my father, potassium is to Linda.

Be careful with all concentrated chemicals, but remember, spoilt food could be worse for you than a little too much of something you are sensitive to.

p.s. sorry cats- too much oxygen or water can be used to kill, also(and gravity! although a bit messy)

Enjoy your food.
If you like something but it has a bit too much of a risky ingredient for you, eat less of it with other foods that can balance it for you- the human digestive system is a wondrous thing, given half a chance.

The salt panic promoted by the heart associations in the sixties and since has not served our diets well, be sensible, and enjoy a life worth living longer.

Last edited:
So I think I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I smoked some pork shoulder on my BBQ. I used the bones and scraps to make some stock with some leek tops etc. So I have had this smoky pork stock in the fridge for a while.... Tonight made some rice cooked with onions and garlic in that stock. Ii had some smoked pork chops that I grilled over charcoal to go with. Now there is a nice restaurant here called Bar Kismet which has a signature dish of charrred carrots with crab in a Bearnaise sauce which is wonderful. Today we were at what is left of our farmers market and bought some fresh young carrots. I blanched them the grilled them over charcoal until lightly charred, and whipped up some Bearnaise sauce. No pics because we ate them all!

I can think of several methods, but you probably want to keep the skin underneath!

The reason why Dawn dishwashing soap works so well is it contains "mineral spirits" also known as a form of paint thinner. So a mixture of paint thinner and soap gets most of the residue. I would follow with cold cream, aloe vera etc.

Just curious, which one? You know me, I've become an obsessive label reader and none qualify.

As you don't eat it, the contents are not required on the label.

Here are the contents now using alcohol since the last time I checked.

But you will just love:

Methylisothiazolinone - Wikipedia

But everything is listed here.

Smart Label

BTY alcohol is used as a paint thinner and remover not just for very old formulas, but also many of the newer automotive finishes! (Surprised me when I found out! My intoxicated neighbor scraped my car trying to part and thought she would clean things up...)

Last edited: