The food thread

Too late. :)
It occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to put many long slices in a pan.

The bacon came out fantastic. I can be as bad as I want to today and not use up all those brownie points. The Mrs. made lots of noise during breakfast and none of it was talk. Brown eggs and homemade bread fit the bill nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 94
Only one thing to do here as far as I see it.......use your brownie points for the bigger slicer with (hopefully) more h.p.!

I had a old Hobart pro unit that I gave to a friend who needed more than I did......I think I only paid a couple hundred for it used.

Nice looking bacon btw! Here’s a nice one for reasonable money, it doesn’t list stroke but judging the 12” inch blade to the carrier the length of stroke looks about 12” also

Backyard Pro SL112E Butcher Series 12" Economy Manual Gravity Feed Meat Slicer - 120V

Last edited:
Tonight we feast
Lomo de res en chili Colorado (ribeye in red chili sauce) with sliced radishes and avocado on the side frijolis refritos and arroz rojo. (refried beans and red rice)
To my great consternation, I cannot make beans as well as the Mexican grocery store down the road despite millions of attempts. Well… okay… hundreds. The red sauce I make from scratch with ingredients that I don’t think the European members can get easily but nothing too exotic for North America. I started that at 10 AM for a late dinner. Rice is pretty hard to screw up but still fun. Rice fried in lard then simmered in chicken broth with tomato sauce and seasonings.

The keys to good Mexican food as I see them are… use lard instead of vegetable oil whenever possible and take your time.

Hi Cal, Too bad on the cumin thing, I love the stuff. Unfortunately for me the beans are a flavor thing, I just can’t get it exactly right. I seriously considered a part time job at the store just so I can see what they use. The instapot was well worth the investment even if I used for nothing but broth or beans and I don’t stray to far from those items when I do use it. Since I get discouraged now and then with the bean attempts, I end up with some old ones around the house and I have no problem getting them cooked perfectly in the instapot.

All this talk of beans got me thinking.
I took some red chili beans and cooked them in the 8 qt. Instapot. Drained them and used the water to add split yellow peas and some scrap bacon. Cooked them and added the beans back in and some bouillon and now I have a soup for next week.
While that was going on, I took some blacks beans and put them in the 6 qt. pot and when they are done I will mash them slightly, add some starter and ferment them for making black bean sauce.

Hey, it's what I do when I can't sleep. :)

Cal,

The blade on my slicer is 10". As the cutting edge is less than 1/2" I just don't see as how the blade diameter affects slice length. Thickness obviously is affected. Looking at mine, if I don't use the sliding tray, the only length limit seems to be the exit size.

Now not using the sliding tray seems to be the recipe for flat fingertips.

What would work is a wood tray to fit in the original and raise the base just over the tray edge. Then a new edge could be added to gain a few inches. Then most of the slide would be on the built in rails and the rest would be the new wood base.

I have found when my cutting wheel slows it is time to hone the blade. The feature I looked for in my slicer was that it did NOT use a belt drive.

If there is a next time I will also look at ease of cleaning!!!

BTW I do not recommend finger tip stew! ;)

Last edited: