The food thread

From Wikipedia
mining salt was one of the most expensive and dangerous of operations because of rapid dehydration caused by constant contact with the salt (both in the mine passages and scattered in the air as salt dust)
All I know is that many years ago, when I worked a bit making "klippfisk" (salted and dried fish mainly from haddock and cod). When you're working in that dry environment with salt-dust constantly in the air, it's really quite tiring (Most of the jobs are not being in the dryer though). After a few days it feels like you have influenza without the fever, aches in the joints, get really tired and it never goes away unless you change to a different position then you start to feel better after 4-5 workdays.
Do not envy the salt miners one bit. Glad the world has changed.

I haven't branched out to trying the weird-colored salts in my Indian cooking as of yet - indeed, I have to make a special effort to remember to add salt, since I spent quite a few years cooking with no salt. One of my Indian colleagues at work especially complains about the low salt content in my dishes. When I can obtrusively taste the slat in my cooking, it's just right for her...

Huh, I’m supposing that’s a brine cured version (corned) as opposed to the regular dry cured. I think I had it one time at the coast just thinking they baked a dry cured ham, I actually tried to bake dry cured hams later and failed to reproduce what I had experienced. Just went back to boiling them like I knew.
Who’d a thought I’d get a explanation for the mystery some 35 years later.....well better late than never, thanks Jack.
btw, it is as good as they say.....I can still remember the taste!

Falafels, french fries, sour cream & capers dip, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, mozzarela and onoins salad:)

Attachments

• image000000_02.jpg
    image000000_02.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 85
Looks tasty :)
We're going to have salmon for dinner again, think it's on the menu more or less every week.
In old times, a 100 years ago, lumberjacks in N Sweden had in their contract a paragraph stating that they shouldn't be served salmon more than so-and-so many times a week. (The rivers were full of salmon and by then cheap food)
Now we consider salmon a delicacy.

I was about to buy me an entrecöte today but went for some tuna instead. (will be served with potato gratin and RED :eek: wine)

In old times, a 100 years ago, lumberjacks in N Sweden had in their contract a paragraph stating that they shouldn't be served salmon more than so-and-so many times a week. (The rivers were full of salmon and by then cheap food)
Now we consider salmon a delicacy.

I was about to buy me an entrecöte today but went for some tuna instead. (will be served with potato gratin and RED :eek: wine)

In the US during the colonial days indentured servants if they were lucky had a clause limiting being fed too much lobster! They were plentiful, cheap and considered an undesirable food back then.

Next up I am thinking of preparing gagh. (Reference Star Trek!) One sister in-law won't even look at it.

as opposed to the regular dry cured.
In these parts, brined is the norm. When I do it, I use a picnic, as a ham is just too large, and I like to inject it as well as brine. Takes about a week depending on the outdoor temp.
lobster! They were plentiful, cheap and considered an undesirable food back then.
On the east coast back then, you could always tell the poor children at school as they had lobster sandwiches. Their families could not afford chicken.