The food thread

There’s a namesake town, Leicester, NC it’s near Asheville,NC
Anyway, how they tell if your local or a ‘ferener’ is in the pronunciation......Lester=local, Lee-cester= ferener!

Your treated much better in Lester than Lee-cester! They won’t correct you either.....one eye squints and prices go up!

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
For Jack, I was in Chicago and my sister had these in the house. It was sad they had every industrial additive imaginable, and every fake ingredient possible. There are a few folks making the real thing from scratch but this was not one of them.

Attachments

• paczki.jpg
    paczki.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 69
For Jack, I was in Chicago and my sister had these in the house. It was sad they had every industrial additive imaginable, and every fake ingredient possible. There are a few folks making the real thing from scratch but this was not one of them.

I wrote to my FB friends that I was sent to Polish gram's every weekend and learned to bake -- from about age 4 or 5 -- she would make paczki on Friday evenings -- but it was unlike the American variety which resembles a Dunkin jelly donut. (As my parents seemed to have a kid every year, they would hive me or my sisters off on unsuspecting relatives all the time.)

The Italian relatives of the wifely persuasion had zeppole which was quite similar but not as light and fluffy! I think they just used fried pizza dough.

As you know from Wisconsin, you were supposed to be holy and reverent for those forty days, but spring was in the air and spring season was about to start for our respective baseball teams, and life was beginning anew!

Do you know where these were bought?!

You didn't say where you are. In Milwaukee they were always available but even in 1960 they were usually filled with some red jam like substance. My nephew said there are a couple of places in Chicago that have real jam seeds and all though in Poland plum preserves is more traditional.

It's kind of sad and ironic that in Wisconsin of all places things made with real butter were rare even 50yr ago.

Last edited:
A saw exactly this kind of bakery just an hour ago at Jewel Osco.

Anns Bakery & Deli on Chicago Ave in Ukraine village may have the real thing or Rich’s Deli just aroundthe corner on N Western could stock them. Rich’s is more Polish than Ukrainish.

In Russian they are called Ponchiki (поншики) or pischki (пышки) and are the closest you come to donuts.

Coconut Layer Cake

Coconut Layer Cake
10 eggs
1.25 lbs butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup cream of coconut
coconut extract, vanilla extract,
2.25 cups flour
topped with sweetened shredded coconut toasted in the oven till browned.

I live and die by the American Test Kitchen cookbook, this is their Coconut Layer Cake I did for my son's birthday. Really tasty but super filling...even my kids can only take a small slice!
Kids like it with milk, I think it's best with strong coffee from a percolator.
I took the picture outside (I like the natural lighting.)

Attachments

• DSCF0397.jpg
    DSCF0397.jpg
    746.5 KB · Views: 91
We often have cous cous. But when we went to Morocco, we found that it was mostly used in vegetarian dishes, such as cous cous au sept legume [Morocco national dish]. It is a perfect foil for tagines, of lamb or chicken. We prepare cous cous as follows: use fine cous cous. Use cous cous:water ratio of 1:1 (like basmati rice). The water comes from the boiled veg. we have as well, with a little extra salt and pepper and fresh herbs. No need for a couscousier, we have found.

Did you cook the meat separately, and mix and stuff afterwards? Spicing might be better with a little Ras el hanout mixed into the meat, and browned.

In Casablanca, a restaurant on the shore served their meat roasted separately but served on the cous cous in a Tangine and sauce accompanied it in a jug.