The food thread

I have a Whirlpool fridge, other than the fact that the de-frost drain tube got plugged and spilt water on the hardwood and cupped some boards, it is working okay. It is not very loud, I been in the back, it is fairly well made.
Personally I stay away from Korean appliances, heard of too many issues, plus I question serviceability in the long run. Your info just adds to my list of issues with them. I do a have a Goldstar uWave it has operated fine for 30+ years now. I do not dare replace it until it dies.
I really do not trust the new stoves with digital controls, can you believe I am still using a old Beauomark range, it was a hand me down. I know I am frugal but sometimes that pays off with less issues. I am not a topper, who needs to brag about my new modern day appliances, that imo are more trouble than they are worth. Worth going to a used appliance shop and look around. Too bad you are not in the GTA, I have one guy who is excellent and gave me a good discount on the new fridge. Bellissimo Appliances & Parts Ltd
Good luck

More grease, Bill. Generally need to keep half an eye on onions to ensure they don't burn but also keep a cup of water next to the pan and add a little splash (you really don't need much, say a 3" circle's worth in an empty pan) if the onions start to stick and dislodge the resistant bits with a wooden spatula. Essentially you're deglazing the pan in situ and releasing the more cooked onions before they get away from you.

Works for other veggies as well.

All I can say about appliances these days is buy from someone with a cheap extended warrantee. We have lots of folks in the household (again :() and we destroy appliances. The GE repair guy is almost a member of the family.

We had a nice run in our last house not a single problem in two years, now we're back to the usual 3 fridges before one worked dishwasher leaked after 2 mo. BTW we toasted a Sub Zero and 2 Samsungs at one house, though one of the Samsungs was a factory recall on an ice maker that simply could not work. I think one of the problems is that the ice maker thing is an American fetish.

Last edited:
Chambers range, cast iron frying pans from just about anywhere and Kitchen Aid/Hobart dishwasher are generally the best. Of course Chambers went out of business in the 1980s! But the good ranges stopped in 1955. Be sure when finding one it has the top mounted Griddle/Broiler and soup well with the aluminum pot.

Seasoning a cast iron skillet is the hardest part. Properly done it should be shiny gray.

Making me laugh Scott, ice maker gimmicks, Korean appliances. A two year run ... Canadians are just as bad or worse, there is only 2 months of somewhat heat the rest it is cold, if anything we need hot water for our tea but then again, I use boiling hot water for my tea, what a hazard that would be for a fridge. I can see the law suites now with that one.

Last edited:
Making me laugh Scott, ice maker gimmicks, Korean appliances. A two year run ... Canadians are just as bad or worse, there is only 2 months of somewhat heat the rest it is cold, if anything we need hot water for our tea

I have stories, we bought a Fischer-Paykel dishwasher which had a metric PEX connector on it. They sent a guy to install it that looked like he was on a work release program, he cut off the old connection right at a copper union so the proper compression adapter could not be installed and left. It took me a whole day to track down the parts and re-braise everything myself.

It turns out the two drawer arrangement seems cool but neither drawer takes BIG pots or plates and we ended up giving it to my son.

BTW Red Green is one of my heroes, my idea of DIY.

Last edited:
Next home is going to have a bar and a REAL (separate applicance) ICE Machine
(going to look for a gently-used (small) commercial Manitowoc - used to be made in my home town) trickles water over a mold to make clear small cubes, then reverses evap/condenser to heat the mold / ice falls off / repeat. Only like (2) moving parts = Commercial Compressor & reversing valve, plus get more ice that a homeowner typically knows what to do with...

@Max Just read a long article on the blockchain tracing of food distribution. Not a single mention of any kind of impartial third party verification. So I say why bother, I can envision scanning a tag and seeing some stock footage of grizzled old salts pulling red snapper out of the drink and still having tilapia in the bag.

No real interest here until a third party DNA test is part of the chain. This would especially be useful with the new GMO Canadian stuff.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
More grease, Bill. Generally need to keep half an eye on onions to ensure they don't burn but also keep a cup of water next to the pan and add a little splash (you really don't need much, say a 3" circle's worth in an empty pan) if the onions start to stick and dislodge the resistant bits with a wooden spatula. Essentially you're deglazing the pan in situ and releasing the more cooked onions before they get away from you.

We tend to use a lot of oil (have sunflower, olive, rapeseed and sesame next to the hot at all times although I am a heathen and do not know which to use when). I think I was forced to pass on the last stainless pan when we ran out of storage space. I blame the rubbish electric hob we have honest :)

The two most used pans in our house are a 28cm shallow pan that can go straight in the oven if needed and the Chapati skillet. Almost everything gets cooked in the shallow pan so we kill the tefal lining about every 5 years. I'd love to get the hang of stainless, but every time I've used one the onions stick before I've even got going. I'm doing it wrong.

Don't bother with stainless, get black steel (iron) ones!

They are dirt cheap and every chef seems to be using them unless they are paid by a sponsor to use others.
They need seasoning though but after a little bit of use are practically non-stick.
Black Iron Frying Pans, Black Iron Skillet | AJ Stuart