The food thread

Did sous vide pickling for the first time.
3 hours at 140F did the trick.

We just pulled out all our daikon and watermelon radishes, this looks like a good way to put them up. One of our local farmers did ginger shoots (the ones they use for sushi ginger), a quick pickle with purple shiso came out great. These have never been available here before.

Last edited:
Oops. Forgot 2 ingrdients:)

IIRC it was:
1 litre water
1 litre white vinegar
50 gr coarse salt
10 gr white sugar
2 Tbsp chili flakes

Warm to about 200F, stir to dissolve. Place the veggies in your clean jars. Pour the brine over the veggies, add the lids. and put it into the 140F immersion tank. No need to sterilize, that's gonna happen over the next 3 hours. Make sure the containers are fully immersed.

Last edited:
Because I love my dog:

In order of amount:

Pork sirloin
Pork broth
Short grain brown rice
Doggie kibbles
Pork fat
Large pinch of salt

Sear the meat then into the InstaPot for 1.5 hours with water and salt.
Fry the slabs of fat
When the pork is done, use the water (now pork broth) to cook the rice
Use excess broth to soak the kibbles
Break it all up, mix and then coarse grind
Package, then vacuum seal and freeze.

I have to grind it or the little bugger will eat the meat and leave the rest. He's a lot like his daddy that way.

Yum yum, human food fit for a dog. No wait, dog food fit for a human. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 110
There, ready for the freezer. Around 350 gr. each package (4 days worth) so I am good for a couple months. Happy doggie, happy Mommy, happy Daddy.
My little buddy is worth it. I know a lot of people will tell you their dog is the world's best but I can tell you without hesitation that mine actually is. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
In case SY is lurking:

The Secret Ingredient That Improves Meat Every Time - The New York Times

The Secret Ingredient That Improves Meat Every Time
You may love it. You may hate it. But a smear of mayonnaise before cooking makes beef, pork, chicken and fish better as if by magic. J. Kenji López-Alt explains.

For the past couple of years, I’ve been seeing a trend among the online community of sous-vide cooking enthusiasts: rubbing meat with mayonnaise before searing it. A parallel trend has also been hitting the grilled cheese forums (there’s a message board for everything), where folks are slathering their bread with mayonnaise before griddling, insisting that mayonnaise produces a golden-brown crust that’s superior to the one you get with butter.

At this point, I suspect that half of you are salivating subconsciously while the other half are quite consciously suppressing a gag reflex.

Even for mayo lovers like me, the image of smearing mayonnaise all over a piece of raw or semi-cooked meat is not the easiest sell. Not everyone likes mayo. It jiggles uncomfortably. It’s nearly pure fat. I get it.

But you should try it! I first let mayo get intimate with some sous-vide steaks a couple years ago. The steaks browned like a dream. Next I rubbed some mayo on my grilled cheese. It’s true: Mayo really does brown better than butter (though these days I use both).