The food thread

I did it at 130ºF for 8 hours as I wanted to have it Sunday night. It was a little under done for a lot of people, but since I am a carpaccio fan, it was good for me. It was warm on the inside just not cooked. Over the following 3 days I did different things with it.
One was like carpaccio in lime, chili and soy.
One was microwaved in a puddle of gravy
One was like the raw beef used in phở.

I have never been able to get rosemary to "take" in the ground, it will thrive all summer then die in the winter and never come back.

It might be a little too cold or too wet. Out here we have to have a well drained area (read raised beds) for good rosemary. Once established it's a hardy one. Now that I'm in a townhome, I have to steal from the neighbour across the street. Hers is so big, she loves when I come over and hack away at it because it blocks her walkway.

For those I cut the tips off the rosemary and chop it up finely.
Yer talkin' the growing tips of the plant, not the actual needles right? Nobody has that kind of time. :)

Also, are you adding the rosemary to the dumplings or boiling them in rosemary broth before adding to the stew?

Last edited:
Rosemary untended grows huge here in Perth where the ground is basically beach sand, cold and wet in winter and hot and dry as blazes during summer.
Perhaps the trick to growing it is good drainage and low clay soils ?.

Dan.

Your coolest months have mean low temperature about 10C. I am sure you get many days below that, and rare weather events that reach 0C. That is not "cold". Where I live the coldest months have mean low temperature of -10C, with many days much colder than that and rare events below -20C. My rosemary dies because the roots freeze solid, nothing to do with drainage.

I thought I was growing basil but it is actually sage, duh, it came back from last year, not sure if it re-seeded itself.
I was watching a Jamie Oliver show and he was using the sage, even with the flowers on it, so I guess I can use mine anytime. We shall see if it comes back again next spring.
Our first frost last night.

I thought I was growing basil but it is actually sage, duh, it came back from last year, not sure if it re-seeded itself.
I was watching a Jamie Oliver show and he was using the sage, even with the flowers on it, so I guess I can use mine anytime. We shall see if it comes back again next spring.
Our first frost last night.

Sage is one of my fave herbs, like Cal says can't make stuffing, or traditional-roast chicken without it. Some people use summer savoury instead, and it is nice, but they are idiots.

Sage is easy to grow and is a perenial here. Not only will it overwinter in the ground, it will do do in a container where it is more likely to freeze. I was happily surprised this spring, by which I mean late June, when my pot of sage suddenly started producing leaves. I had already planted a new seedling in the same pot , so ended up with two fery different sage plants in the same pot.

Did you know that mint (very aggressive on its own) can influence the flavor of spices grown nearby! Brit Gardening Show recommends growing mint in large pots.

Our rosemary will go into December, but basil is already done,

I grow mint in the front row of hedges between my yard and the street. Very hardy plant around here.

Interestingly enough the deer eat the tulips right in front but not the mint or the hedges.

Did you know that mint (very aggressive on its own) can influence the flavor of spices grown nearby! Brit Gardening Show recommends growing mint in large pots.

Our rosemary will go into December, but basil is already done,

Yeah I should put the caveat that I'm in USDA 8 (Portland) or 14 (San Diego) depending on when, so rosemary never gets a long long hard freeze.

Mint is definitely a pot plant, or soon it will be your only plant. I even have to give some space so it doesn't overhang other pots!

Last edited:
Our local Wegman's did a sushi fest this weekend, everything flown in Friday afternoon from Fukuoka fish market 28 varieties of wild caught local fish and a little >$200/lb real Japanese Waygu grade 5. Everything was $$$$ but I made some Skipjack and Seabream tataki on the grill, the Skipjack was awesome.

They broke down a whole tuna 4 foot knife and all and handed out some samples of o-toro which was stunning. All they forgot was the real wasabi, I'll have to make sure they do that next year.

For the non-fish eaters we grilled a couple of T-bones from one of the work cows that had to be put down (they eat grass and make manure but there is nothing to sustain them over the winter). This not everyone's meat more gamey than usual, but we love it because the last couple of years it has been very tender when simply grilled mid-rare. The rack of lamb OTOH from another local farm just did not have a lot of flavor though the meat had perfect texture.

Last edited:
Pear tarte tatin

Pears caramelizing with butter, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise.

IMG_20191023_201308_compress9.jpg

Finished tarte tatin.

IMG_20191023_201602_compress35.jpg