The food thread

It's an example of a "Party Mix" -- salty crispy munchables to enjoy with beer or wine or gins and tonic or a Pimm's Cup cocktail

They claim 1952 was the origin. Deep South Dish: The Authentic Original Original 1952 Chex Party Mix

Bill, I don't think the UK has a history of these hokey dishes. In my teens we would mix a carton of sour creme (no equivalent in regions with real dairy products) and a package of onion soup mix and eat chips with it (crisps to you) all night long while playing cars,

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yeah I looked up the recipes before I posted as the concept of trying to make a savoury snack with horrendously over sweetened American cereal horrified and intrigued me in equal measures. We have rice snacks mixed with prezels here, which is what you turn to when you have raging beer munchies and everything else that looks like food has been eaten, but nothing I am aware of remotely like this.

but nothing I am aware of remotely like this.

I still can't get over the Queen mother preferring Mateus Rose. This hubris is worthy of the cable vendors.

.The grapes from which Mateus Rose is made are carefully selected from the best quality red varieties grown in Northern Portugal. The greatest care is taken at all stages of production, from vintage through to bottling, thus ensuring that the highest possible standards of quality are consistently maintained. A method called �bica aberta� with long fermentation under controlled temperatures is used to achieve the particularly well-balanced, fresh and fruity quality of the wine

Yeah I looked up the recipes before I posted as the concept of trying to make a savoury snack with horrendously over sweetened American cereal horrified and intrigued me in equal measures. We have rice snacks mixed with prezels here, which is what you turn to when you have raging beer munchies and everything else that looks like food has been eaten, but nothing I am aware of remotely like this.

Minor quibble: Cereals like Chex and Cheerios are not sweet. I understand where you are coming from, but these savoury snacks do not include Sugar Pops or Frosted Flakes or Froot Loops. Now Shreddies are a bit sweet but sweetened with malt, not high fructose corn syrup. The peanuts and pretzel sticks are sweeter than Cheerios (aka doughnut seeds), which are made from oats. Ok, oats and a bunch of chemicals, but what is an oat but a bunch of chemicals?

What do they call those hot/salty/sweet/savoury Indian snacks? Chevda or something, various extruded and fried besan (chickpe flour) noodle-like things. Many of them are very sweet but also salty and spicy. (I am partial to "Haldiram's Spicy Nuts" which I enjoyed in Bengaluru and then found I could buy here!)

Post Shreddies

From Wikipedia:
In Canada, production began in 1939 at Lewis Avenue, Niagara Falls, Ontario. Shreddies were produced under the Nabisco name until the brand in Canada was purchased in 1993 by Post Cereals, whose parent company in 1995 became Kraft General Foods, which sold Post to Ralcorp in 2008 and is now Post Foods Canada Corp., a unit of Post Holdings, which was spun off from Ralcorp in 2012.
In the United Kingdom, the cereal was first produced by Nabisco's former UK division, but is now made by Cereal Partners under the Nestlé brand at Welwyn Garden City. The factory opened in 1926 and began making Shreddies in 1953. The site was briefly owned by Rank Hovis McDougall in 1988, which sold it to Cereal Partners in 1990. Nestlé's site at Staverton started making Shreddies in 1998, and is where all production was moved in 2007.

sour creme (no equivalent in regions with real dairy products) and a package of onion soup mix and eat chips with it (crisps to you) all night long while playing cars,
Yes, that was a very popular in our youth. When spinach dip came along, the onion dip kinda faded into obscurity.
a savoury snack with horrendously over sweetened American cereal
As mentioned, this is strictly a savoury dish.
@cal -- my grandmother was making that for us back in the 1960's!
Me too but it was Mom not Grandma. Grandma made sweets.

Nuts & Bolts.
Sparkling Lemonade.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
The missus is taking me out to dinner tonight we are going to this place Bar Kismet – Approachable seafood driven restaurant and cocktail bar I have been wanting to go for some time, but it is one of those tiny places that doesn't take reservations and you can never get a table. Strategy tonight is to get there early right after they open, have a cocktail or two before dinner. Can't wait to see what's on the menu!