The food thread

To many beans here too. Corn is coming in every week now, pick it and bring it home for immediate consumption good this year. I had to laugh the farmer still uses my letter to the other members of our CSA I wrote almost 20yr. ago.

There's a worm in my corn. Of course that's what we're all about. Take a deep breath and get over it. He only eats an inch or two of the dry kernels at the end, just break it off and toss it back. Good for you and good for the worm.

Last edited:
Scott,

Do you know what is worse than finding a worm in your ear of corn? Finding half of one!

Unlikely most of the time, sorry BTW Ed for getting mad you have no way of knowing about our situation. The farm CSA is a perpetual land trust and Dan and Karen are paid by the trust a prevailing wage with benefits to run the farm the way the members want. No one makes any money. We have been friends for over 25yr. the farm is run the way it is which some may call dilettantism, there is no intervention and whole crops regularly fail and this is no model to "feed the world".

It was a huge controversy to use copper solution on the tomatoes in the last few years because we had a 100% failure one year and tomatoes are some kind of hot button for the members. The corn OTOH is no spray, no GMO, no bT you get what you get.

Unlikely most of the time, sorry BTW Ed for getting mad you have no way of knowing about our situation. The farm CSA is a perpetual land trust and Dan and Karen are paid by the trust a prevailing wage with benefits to run the farm the way the members want. No one makes any money. We have been friends for over 25yr. the farm is run the way it is which some may call dilettantism, there is no intervention and whole crops regularly fail and this is no model to "feed the world".
So nice to be able to do this but it's out of reach for the most of us who have to trust that our food is ethical on all counts, that's where the RFID tagging we have discussed comes in.

It was a huge controversy to use copper solution on the tomatoes in the last few years because we had a 100% failure one year and tomatoes are some kind of hot button for the members. The corn OTOH is no spray, no GMO, no bT you get what you get.
Have you tried spraying them with calcium chloride?
It really strengthens the whole plant besides preventing blossom end rot.....and I’m fairly sure it’s not toxic on any serious level.
Presumably calcium chloride is benign.

I wonder why. Was it because of the danger to the applicator?

No it was philosophical, not sure how I feel. Copper sulfate for wine vineyards in damper climates is almost a necessity. I guess the rainfall here changed enough to have to make a decision.

Yes, it is pretty easy to find a dossier on possible harm to workers and historical studies in Bordeaux.

Nice mix of all my favourites, All Post brand cereals? :)
Shreddies used to be Nabisco, right? Or am I wrong? They have been Post for a while.

I have some basal, that wants to come back every year. It is flowering, I guess it is too late to pick it? makes nice little flowers and buds, must be a Hermi :)

Probably too late now, but you can pinch off the flowers and the big stems and they will produce more side-shoots and leaves. Basil likes a lot of water. Bees like the flowers, I always wonder what the honey tastes like?

Three ovens going at once for the 'annual' Nuts & Bolts. Annual means I get them ready for the end of summer each time but not every year. This year
Shreddies
Stick pretzels
Chex
Cheerios
BBQ pnuts
Dry roast pnuts

Butter
Worcester
BBQ seasoning
Gr. garlic

Roast 250F for one hour.

Ever try corn nuts in there? I know it's not Nuts & Bolts but they add a nice crunch.

Thx Bob, I am hoping it will spread, get bigger, still a beautiful perennial plant. Nabisco, sounds right, I see Walmart has their own brand of lucky charms, lucky something?, I thought that was funny to see, cloned lucky charms :)
Nuts & bolts, bits and bites, goes along with Clamato Juice and vodka. Come to Canada :)