The food thread

Most of these are required by code almost everywhere. My nose has been faster and more sensitive than a smoke detector on several occasions, even in deep sleep.

Seems to me you need a better smoke detector.

But let's talk carbon monoxide alarm, automatic water valve shutoff, roof leak detector and of course intruder alarms. Generally not required by code but very useful.

I did have a neighbor manage to set off my CO alarm! Probably saved his life. (Idling a diesel car)

There was a chain here that sold blender drinks, called Orange Julius. As an early teen, I would try and get the right blend of ingredients to copy what they served in the stores.

After many years, I stumbled upon the missing ingredient I could never quite figure out.
Having not attempted to make the concoction for over thirty some years at least, I was fooling around in the kitchen one day. The confectioners sugar and vanilla that was in some Slim Fast powdered drink mix seemed to be convenient, so I used it and was very surprised that it had something else that I’d been missing.
As far as I could tell, it was the buttermilk powder included that completed the formula.

Seems to me you need a better smoke detector.

But let's talk carbon monoxide alarm, automatic water valve shutoff, roof leak detector and of course intruder alarms. Generally not required by code but very useful.

I did have a neighbor manage to set off my CO alarm! Probably saved his life. (Idling a diesel car)

CO detectors are, to each his own on the rest.

Joined 2014
Paid Member

How long ago was this? Diesels in the last 25 years have had pretty low CO emissions. Other cr*p by the bucket load mind.

I have 3 CO detectors, 2 smoke detectors and only one exit to the property. This does concern me, esp with an open fire downstairs...

Hmmm ...............

*Not sure if good oven baked rice pudding has the same evocation of childhood outside uk as a go to stodge to fill up the family. Happy memories of fighting for the skin on the top and losing :)

Memories, too, of fighting my elder sister over this. A truce was declared when she got the custard skin and me the rice pud. (lots of spicy nutmeg! )

The BLT sandwich. Just discovered this, I'm gonna buy shares..

Anyway I can't get a hold of ranches this time of year, what's your preferred sauce?

BLT as in bacon,lettuce,and tomato?

Man.....I feel bad for you if that’s the case! But at least you found it now.

In my world the bread must be toasted and liberal amounts of mayo on each side (top and bottom). That’s the purist version.

I prefer a lightly toasted basic white bread for the BLTs.
My wife likes more of the mayo than I do, and I have to admit that it is one of the rare places that it works to my liking.

Maybe I’ll try and make one with a single slice of provolone and see if that works with less mayo. Not really a BLT anymore after that I suppose though.