The food thread

Lobsters not surprisingly don't have a central nervous system with a central nerve bundle as I have been told many times, explaining why they don't feel pain when thrown into a pot of boiling water. But for some reason many flinch or move abruptly when tossed in.

So having a relatively small brain there is most likely what we recognize as muscle memory or local control. The classic example is the chicken without a head can still survive.

So other than having a Vegan moment, I suspect you might want to do them in by boiling a bit first.

One of my techniques is to put the lobsters in shallow water where their eyes can be above the surface and to add strong spirits to the liquid. They prefer to keep their eyes out of the liquid. After a few minutes they will go into the pot and seem to flinch less.

I do know folks who will eat lobster but don't want to see it prepared.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I thought cottage pie was shepard's pie with beef rather than lamb.

Basically yes, although there are so many regional variations I've never quite worked out if there are any other major differences. Cheescake factory has Shepherd's pie which is basically a bowl of beef mince with a small dollop of mash on top.

Mine was made with Quorn mince with mushrooms and marmite to try and get some flavour in hence the 'I can't believe its not' as its very easy to believe its not.

@Cal: we have no extractor hood over the cooker, so a lot of smell gets released over the cooking time. It's put in jars before it cools so no change for the vinegar to absorb anything. Net result ban on chutney making...

Buffalo wings coated with honey and sriracha hot sauce with potato wedges on the side. I just need a bottle of beer to complete this meal.

Attachments

• Chicken wings.jpg
    Chicken wings.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 148
Buffalo wings

The gal who invented Buffalo wings passed away circa 1986 -- I know because the obit was in the NY Times and a bunch of us on the bond trading desk called the obit writer and spoke with her for around 45 minutes. She, the writer, declined to have drinks with us.

Buffalo wings are one of the great simple pleasures of life.

On this sunny and hot day I have been pretty much doing fruit smoothies. Half a pint of rinsed, dried and frozen blueberries whipped in a blender with apple juice and mineral water. All juice is just way too sweet for me.

I bought a new Black and Decker blender on Amazon for $20! I picked it as it came with a glass container. I looked at the Vitamix, but just a replacement container was $140.

Black and Decker got into the small appliance business when GE decided it didn't fit their business model and sold them the line. It almost made sense as the production of small power tools was close to that of many of the appliances. Today of course they don't actually make most of their stuff but import it. The blender is actually imported by someone else and just pays to use the name.

The blender basically had two ratings, works great or burns out quickly. First use was of course to clean itself. I started it at the slowest speed 1/10! Ran horribly rough. So I only used it for 30 seconds or so. Clearly to pass QC all it had to do was turn on. So I actually read the instruction booklet which mentioned nothing about break in. It did strongly suggest not to run it for more than 5 minutes.

Did a few more lightly loaded spins and it quieted down. Made a milkshake nicely and learned to ignore all of the ten speed buttons. The useful on is the pulse/off one. Rarely need to use it for more than a few seconds!

Really nice to have during a heat wave. But the reason I bought it was to be able to mix Van Houten cocoa without clumps! Does that just great.

I will be curious to see how long it lasts. I do have a rule about tools. One should spend more on the material processed by the tool than the tool cost. Already past that on this one!

Thanks. Actually the instructions make it a point not to leave it plugged in! I think I will cheat and just use a switched gfi protected outlet. My counter top is copper, the back wall is tile and above it is a stainless steel hood. On the side of the counter is where I keep my kitchen fire extinguisher. The other one is in the bedroom.

But good advice, thanks.

If I had to worry that much it would end up in the bin.

I also turn off the power to my AV gear when going away. Living near the top of a hill, gear has blown out during storms. I also have a surge protection system on my main AC panel.

I haven't looked but I suspect the speed selector is a solid state unit not a switch tapped motor and good legal practice is to include the instruction.

Do you have smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, GFCIs and arc interrupting circuit breakers at home?

I think coined the term is more appropriate here, not invented.

I will check the NYTimes archives to unearth the verb they used.

Speaking of blenders -- me and 'mamselle still have the Oster blender we got as a wedding present 45+ years ago -- was used to make baby food -- now the babies have babies!

It still makes great Hollandaise.

Last edited:
New York Times, November 6, 1985:

Teressa Bellissimo, who invented the Buffalo-style chicken wings that won international culinary respect and fame for her hometown, died Monday. She was 84 years old. Mrs. Bellissimo died in her apartment above Frank and Teressa's Anchor Bar and Restaurant on Main Street, which she and her late husband, Frank, opened in 1940.

It was there, according to Mrs. Bellissimo's son, Dominic, that the Buffalo chicken wing was born, shortly before midnight one Friday in 1964.

''The true story is that I was tending bar, and a bunch of my friends were drinking,'' Mr. Bellissimo, who now operates the restaurant, said yesterday. ''My mother, God rest her soul, was in the kitchen. I said to my father, 'Let's have some hors d'oeuvres.' Dad said: 'They're all Catholic boys. They don't eat meat on Friday.' ''

'Come Up With Something

Dominic reminded his father that it would soon be Saturday. And, he recalled, ''Dad told mother to come up with something.''

Mrs. Bellissimo took some chicken wings, deep-fried them, doused them with hot sauce and served them with blue-cheese dressing and celery. The men at the bar were rapturous. ''They said, 'Oh, my God, can we come back next Saturday and have the same thing?' '' Mr. Bellissimo said.