The food thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Zucchini flowers huh? Gonna have to try that.

Was taught this by a 1/2 italian friend of mine. His version was dip in beaten egg, roll in flour and chuck in the pan. Have also tried them in Pakora batter which is nice. sadly didn't get to plant any courgettes this year.

yum.

Induction hob is proving to be a good purchase. Palak Paneer and roti tonight. The big test will be Dosa over the weekend.

Well I guess i could try squash flowers, assume not much diff between Zucchini flowers and other squash, I have honey and acorn squash going, some on my small garden but a field of them over on a friends farm, I'll see if the farmer is in, should be in a few weeks :)
We just gorged on some wild black raspberries, damn they are good this year since we had so much rain. I think the strawberries and raspberries are ripe at the same time which is even more weird. Strawberry pick'n in these parts should be over by mid July.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Just a single element portable unit. When bulk cooking at the weekend we generally only use one ring, a second if making rice and we've stopped using the front rings on the existing hob since a certain little one can reach them now. But over the weekend made

Bean stew
Palak Paneer
Tofu curry

Sambhar
I can't believe its not cottage pie
All just with the one ring and didn't feel it was holding up progress. I can't multitask with cooking anyway :)

The big plus with a portable unit is we can cook outside when the weather is nice without firing up the BBQ and it means I can make chutney again. Last few attempts have left the house reeking of vinegar for days, so a restraining order was put in place :)

Attachments

• tefal.jpg
    tefal.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 68
Was taught this by a 1/2 italian friend of mine. His version was dip in beaten egg, roll in flour and chuck in the pan. Have also tried them in Pakora batter which is nice. sadly didn't get to plant any courgettes this year.

Very Italian dish indeed. They also have versions where they fill the flower with a cheese mix (mostly ricotta) before frying.

My batter recipe is softer but a bit heavier, similar to recipes found in Southern France : 80gr flour, 10cl milk, salt, pepper, a bit of olive oil and one egg (with the white firmly whipped). Soak the flowers and let the extra batter flow away. Toss in hot oil about 2 minutes, let dry a bit on paper towels.

It's also supposed to be good with a Tempura batter.

Palak Paneer

I made saag paneer with Swiss chard and also ridged gourd with onions and spices Saturday. I went totally fussy on doing everything old school from scratch. My daughter came home and ate all my leftovers, the saag paneer even met my standards.

My problem with induction tops is the range and resolution of the temperature control. Listening to my Morricone collection on my pre-amp with too much noise and inadequate overload margin right now.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
scratch as in the paneer as well? If so hat off for serious hardcore cooking

We do use a premix masala for palak paneer, but its the Pukka stuff bought over when wife's parents come back from snowbirding each spring. I did try and count the number of different spices and mixes we have in the house now and gave up as there are things squirreled away all over the place. Of course the recipes are handed down mother to daughter so I've failed to fully learn any of them and need supervising at spice adding times.

I have to say the last 6 years of marriage have been delicious :)

scratch as in the paneer as well?

No, we have a first rate market that carries all the basics. I have done it in the past, Vermont has some great high fat whole milk.

I have a weakness for gulab jamun and I was thinking of doing the evaporating of the milk all day on the stove one more time. I have the rose water, saffron, and cardamom ready.

I just got caught by the third track of Giù la testa a lesser known film (Duck You Sucker here) Morricone's vocal effects are genius.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hmmm I can get unpastuerised Jersey milk from nearby now direct from the farm, which makes the most amazing rice pudding* but not sure I have the patience to make gulab jamun from scratch. Esp as everyone sells it round here now we have enough density of tech firms to have a significant Indian presence in the town (much to annoyance of wife)

*Not sure if good oven baked rice pudding has the same evocation of childhood outside uk as a go to stodge to fill up the family. Happy memories of fighting for the skin on the top and losing :)

Sambhar
I can't believe its not cottage pie

Is the second thing a dish or a description of your sambar? I don't know what cottage pie is, so...

My memories of Karnataka feature idli and vada with coconut chutney and sambar every morning (well not every morning as my body rebelled with the screaming s***s for a week). I still make vada and sambar from time to time, which reminds me I am out of tamarind.

So the grilled lobster test went OK. Sorry Scott but the killing did not go well, the first one mostly behaved itself and appeared to die without too much fuss. The second one went ape-s*** after its head was cut in two, legs kicking and turned itself on its side and kept moving for quite a while. I eventually had to pour a large drink and leave the room for a few minutes. Once it finally settled down I returned and removed the elastics from the claws, and suddenly the first one, which had been completely inert for about ten minutes, suddenly sprang back to life and started propelling itself backwards with violent flapping of its tail! It was all a bit much and nothing like the Youtube videos. Anyway they eventually made it to the grill and turned out pretty OK, though perhaps not all I had hoped. I think when my nephew and his wife are here in a couple of weeks we will revert to the tried and true method, though I will be trying this again. The parts that were good about it were very good, but different than we are used to or I expected. So not done but not rushing to repeat. Pics later.

PS yeah tourist season so $12/lb!!

Last edited: