The food thread

$1.50 a pound, I think? If my memory is worth anything, for pork it's either a couple hams after Christmas/Easter or shoulder meat. The former gets cubed up and made into a litany of soups. When I venture over to the Mexican grocery store, I've gotten neck bones and those are great to let simmer in tomato sauce.

US pork production is at the highest level recorded (since 1972)

Attachments

• fredgraph.png
    fredgraph.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 143
Really bad here for our farmers.

Interesting story, I virtually never eat pork, in fact maybe and average of 1 or 2 slices of bacon a month and can't remember buying chops, loin, or roasts even once in the last 20yr. Traveling in China or Japan was different an occasional dish was unavoidable. I figure I balance out (very little :)) the lack of lamb consumption in the US.

Interesting story, I virtually never eat pork, in fact maybe and average of 1 or 2 slices of bacon a month and can't remember buying chops, loin, or roasts even once in the last 20yr. Traveling in China or Japan was different an occasional dish was unavoidable. I figure I balance out (very little :)) the lack of lamb consumption in the US.

We'll see if this is a continuing habit but I'm more the opposite (although probably still more than the average on lamb), mostly because my cooking habits are heavy in the veggies with accents of meat, almost as a flavoring than a core component, where cured pork shines. Otherwise I will get the occasional pork butt/shoulder (the latter mostly) which gets made into carnitas or various pasta sauces. That said I hardly buy chicken, not presently having ready access to a grill. Lamb/beef are a restaurant food, flying well behind fish tacos. :D

For better or worse, career/life has me more in production/batch mode for food with experimentation happening in the context of my routine than really really playing in the kitchen. I'm sure I'll get back to a greater percentage of the latter at some point.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
For better or worse, career/life has me more in production/batch mode for food with experimentation happening in the context of my routine than really really playing in the kitchen. I'm sure I'll get back to a greater percentage of the latter at some point.

Experimentation and batch cooking are not mutually exclusive as long as you accept that you may have to eat a failure 4 times :). Its the only way we can guarantee home cooked food every night.

Great discovery is that you can make Roti dough, roll it out, freeze it then in the pan straight out the freezer. This takes a huge hassle out the way for having sabji during the week.

Ten years of school dinners has given me the ability to cope with almost anything that goes wrong in the kitchen. It would not however give me the ability to cope with a gastro crawl in asia with Scott!

Never had a single school dinner in my life but I'd be ok with an asian gastro crawl.

Tried hiding my screw ups but my family seems to prefer my screw ups to the dishes that come out fine.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Pray tell Bill.

Not much to tell other than I was kennelled. If you have seen the film 'if' then kind of like that, but without the guy in the suit of armour. You ate what you were served or went hungry once your pot noodle stash was used up. And as a boy you are always hungry!

Never had a single school dinner in my life but I'd be ok with an asian gastro crawl.
Scott hunts out the most extreme local delicacies. I draw the line at things that smell worse than a nappy or are still moving (mind you in France you get the fruits de mer served on a model galleon where the snails are climbing the rigging!).