The food thread

Finland has just scored to tie it 1-1 early in the 2nd period. It was PP goal. Thanks for cheering for us Magnus. I have always had a soft spot for Swedish teams myself. You probably know our Vancouver Canucks have had many Swedes over the years. 25 I believe.

End of game edit: Congrats to the Finns. They took out the three best teams in the tournament and today they endured an unending Canadian barrage to win the gold medal.

Sorry to bring this back to our regular scheduled topic, butt.......

16# of pork butt in the refrigerator out of the freezer last Tuesday.

I'm planning on making Andouille, Here is a typical recipe:

https://honest-food.net/andouille-sausage-cajun-style/

I'm following the recipe in CharcuteRie by Ruhlman and Poleyn which is similar.

Does anyone have suggestions from personal experience?

I have both sheep and hog casings.

I'm contemplating picking up another Pork Butt to bring the total to 24#, figuring I will hit 20# after cleaning it. If I am going to make sausage, I might as well make enough to fill the freezer.

Is it just me, but I had a a bunch of apricots yesterday just to avoid chewing on my nails. But canned apricots are SO sweet and has such a lot of taste, but fresh ones are far from that.

(Canada was my favourite but I am deeply impressed by the Finnish team. The Finnish players in NHL turned down an offer to play in the team, so most of the team was made up by local 'heroes'.)

Any of you guys try Morel mushrooms, a friend has some on his land. hard to find. I looked them up in his mushroom book, he says soak in water for a while before consuming.

Chicken with "yellow" wine and morels is just amazing. See for example this recipe. The original wine might be difficult (and expensive) to get outside France but a dry sherry (fino or amontillado) is a decent substitute.

I'm not very fond of that list honestly. I certainly wouldn't replace the Vin Jaune by a Gewurtz, a Pinot Gris or a Tokay, as they lack its special character. The dry sherries hit a very similar note on the other hand, due to a similar vinification process and are widely distributed.

edit: I just checked Pepin's techniques and he is actually using dry sherry to finish the sauce of that recipe and more common white wine to simmer the chicken.

Last edited:
edit: I just checked Pepin's techniques and he is actually using dry sherry to finish the sauce of that recipe and more common white wine to simmer the chicken.

That is true of most of the recipes on line, Vin de Paille is virtually unknown to most of the audience here.

I can't get enough of Jacques, like circuits people will actually build he likes food people will actually cook.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 87
I'll let you in on a family secret. My great Grandfather, RCW the 2nd, was the first Dean of Dalhousie U. Hence the naming of the Weldon Law Building. In 1983, my father RCW IV was invited (and accepted) to attend the opening ceremony of the building.
The Weldon Tradition - Schulich School of Law - Dalhousie University
The jersey you see me wearing with pride, is authentic. Right from your hometown, delivered by a close friend.
We still have family in Halifax and the Bay of Fundy.
RCW II was also an MP.
Richard Chapman Weldon - Wikipedia

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 2.11.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 2.11.49 PM.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 2.12.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 2.12.05 PM.png
    386.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited: