The food thread

Well folks, after pondering, then pontificating about my lack of interest, Mrs Weldon thought it was about time for us to get a hot air fryer. .

This is funny, same story here. Why and where are we going to put this new gadget. Wings every week now. My wife's favorite is the Headbanger's Kitchen tandoori wings. YouTube Bill should like this guy.

Last edited:
Low fat pan shepards pie.

In deep frying pan with lid

mince two cloves garlic and one small onion
saute garlic and half onion in splash olive oil.
add two pounds ground turkey, remainder of onion, a pinch of sage, 1/4 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon cummin. cook mix, stiring until fully cooked. Add drained can sliced or diced carrots and stir. Top with one pound package frozen broccoli florettes.

Thouroughly Mix three cups flour, 3 table spoons shortening or olive oil, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 teaspoons baking powder. Add liquid from carrots and just enough water to make wet sticky dough.

Spread dough mix atop mix in pan. reduce heat to lowest and cover pan.
(Sprinkle top with parsley flakes and paprika for color)

Cooking time will vary with total moisture, but by average around 40 minutes. Meal is ready when knife or toothpick comes out clean when poked in top biscuit mix.

Variations: vegetables of choice, grated cheese of choice. Works well with parmisan, asiago, gouda etc. Some like adding creme of mushroom soup or subbing mashed potatoes for biscut mix.

This is a variation of a dish my mother used to make using hamburger.... which was certainly NOT low fat.

The biscuit topping is a wetter version of cowboy biscuits she learned from mother in law in the 1940s. Basic rule: to each cup of flour add 1 tab sugar, 1 tab shortening, 1/2 t salt and 1 t baking powder. ~1/2 cup water. Cut shortening into flour, add sugar, salt and baking powder. Add wster while mixing to make sticky drop biscuits. Preheat oven to 375f. Oil còoking sheet and drop 3-4 tablespoon lumps of dough on sheet. Bske 30-35 minutes until peaks brown. Kids love them in winter with hot chocolate.

Yeah, I know I'm a barbarian....
Doc

A nice meal with friends tonight and it was my turn to cook. Sorry no pics.

Fennel gazpacho:

2 cucumber, a dozen tomatoes, 2 fennel heads, 2 onions, olive oil, vinegar, powdered fennel seeds, salt/pepper, some fresh flat parsley. The fennel and onions are first roasted in a pan, the tomatoes/cucumbers blended, then all the vegetables/spices brought together in a pot (with a pair of cups of water) to a boil for 15 min and then back to the blender. The mix is then passed through a sieve. In the fridge for 3 hours and then a small correction with vinegar and spices.

Fish and green vegetables salad:

Sear little pieces of fish (cod and salmon for me) in sesame oil with some zaatar. Deglaze with some soya sauce and reserve (let the soya sauce drip away).
Roast in a pan a melange of green vegetables (I cheat and use precut mix frozen bags): brocoli, beans, peas, etc. until slightly crunchy. Reserve. Do the same for a good amount of edamame (well roasted).
Bring together in a big bowl some roma salad chopped in big pieces, some hard boiled eggs and the vegetables. Add some sauce (anchovies, cream, a bit of mustard and some soya sauce) and toss. Drop on top the fish and serve cold.
I added as a side very small potatoes roasted whole in the oven.

The dessert was a sticky toffee pudding. To completely destroy any illusion of an healthy meal. :p

It's possible to find Crisco (thx to the internet age) but extremely uncommon in shops.

Count yourself lucky.

Nowadays it can be bought at some supermarkets here, wholesale stores, Chinese/Asian shops. :

- Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening 453g - Turks, Marokkaans
- Makro Nederland
- All Vegetable Shortening 1360 gr Crisco - Toko 4 All
- Antilliaanse Toko Crisco All Vegetable Shortening 454gr Bestellen voor €4.97 in Nederland

Still not cheap stuff, but at least a third less costly compared to the early days of Crisco availibity in this country. First regular stores that sold Crisco were baking supplies shops, sold at a premium.

Before the web order days, the single option for me to authentically prepare a recipe that contained Crisco, was to get a can at gay toy shops in A'dam.
(I did not tell the gents at the store that it was for cooking purposes only)

I learned that Crisco is excellent for seasoning BBQ tools and anything cast iron

Last edited:
How do you prepare those, are they braised, or roasted, or grilled?

I do a braise on shanks, but this time I browned them on the grill with a big bunch of dried oregano branches we bought in Greece (bought more than we could ever use) for some smoke. I scanned a bunch of recipes and sort of made the best of all of them, I think a couple of cinnamon sticks, cloves, and allspice make the biggest difference from an ordinary braise (leeks, onions, carrots, celery, wine, stock, herbs & spices). Some tomato also.

I think the Greek tradition at Easter is the same as the Italian one where they roast a suckling lamb whole. In Italy it is called abbacchio. They say the mutton taste comes from fatty acids, I have no idea. There is a tradition of imparting flavor to lamb by letting it graze in salt marshes, but this is still usually eaten young.

Another factoid, the annual average lamb consumption in the US is 14oz. with 50% of the population 0!

Last edited:
I do a braise on shanks, but this time I browned them on the grill with a big bunch of dried oregano branches we bought in Greece (bought more than we could ever use) for some smoke. I scanned a bunch of recipes and sort of made the best of all of them, I think a couple of cinnamon sticks, cloves, and allspice make the biggest difference from an ordinary braise (leeks, onions, carrots, celery, wine, stock, herbs & spices). Some tomato also.

I think the Greek tradition at Easter is the same as the Italian one where they roast a suckling lamb whole. In Italy it is called abbacchio. They say the mutton taste comes from fatty acids, I have no idea. There is a tradition of imparting flavor to lamb by letting it graze in salt marshes, but this is still usually eaten young.

Another factoid, the annual average lamb consumption in the US is 14oz. with 50% of the population 0!

That sounds great. Re: oregano branches; sometimes in late summer when my herb garden is at max, I grab handfuls of fresh herbs and lay them on the hot grill, then put fish or chicken on the herbs. The herbs make flavor, and smoke as they char, and protect the meat from sticking.

As for the aromatics in a braise, you can get away with a lot. It is almost impossible to overdo it, they mellow with long slow cooking. Allspice is a chameleon. I like to add some juniper berries, you will never taste them but you will notice their absence.

And, yes, I think the fat in lamb/mutton has a strong flavor which many people find unpleasant, and it is stronger in mutton than in lamb. My mother believes that she hates lamb and mutton, but I think that is based on some strong, fatty mutton she ate decades ago. I have fed her lamb curry which she enjoyed, but she still insisted that the smell of cooking lamb put her off. Last year at Easter I did a stuffed lamb leg on the rotisserie on my gas grill, so it cooked outside, and she liked it a lot, but of course it mostly tasted like lemon and garlic. :)

Now goat is another story...