The food thread

The thing I noticed with Indian food is that you have to add some spices twice.

That is some are fried in ghee or oil at the start of cooking and have to be added again later on. Apparently that is because frying changes the flavour so the later ones are not fried but only cooked and provide a different flavour.
There are quite a few good instructional vids on YT.

Also degree of roasting the spices before grinding. Check out some Sri Lankan curry powder, it looks like fine ground dark roast coffee. Of course there are ingredients used in south Indian cooking that are not much used in the north and vice versa. South Indian cooking often features tamarind. but it is hardly used in northern Indian cuisine. Also coconut (Mangalore style chicken curry, mmm...). Northern Indian cuisine uses more saffron and cardamom, for example, which are not used so much in the south. Oh, and of course the ultimate South Indian spice which drove the pre-Columbian spice trade, black pepper! Some Brahmins won't eat it, but the Malabar Coast (basically Kerala state) is where the best black pepper (piper negris) comes from. It is odd to think that before the Columbian Exchange chilis were unknown outside the Americas.

Then again... :)

Yeah now I need a refill.

IMG_20190502_010329_resize_62_compress_99.jpg

Expecting young visiting relatives, I purchased some of the recommended Tyson all white meat chicken nuggets.

I tried a few, tasted like what I think cardboard would taste like. So I tried a spicy tomato based sauce with them. The cardboard flavor came through.

Gee imagine how a food product invented by the fast food industry could be so lacking in taste! Well taste one would like...

Expecting young visiting relatives, I purchased some of the recommended Tyson all white meat chicken nuggets.

I tried a few, tasted like what I think cardboard would taste like. So I tried a spicy tomato based sauce with them. The cardboard flavor came through.

Gee imagine how a food product invented by the fast food industry could be so lacking in taste! Well taste one would like...

Did you notice any metal shards? Tyson chicken recall: Almost 12 million pounds of chicken strips might have metal - CNN

Ed, sometimes I don't understand I would never purchase anything like this, ever for any reason.

When it comes to kids (I assume that's who the chicken bits are for) you can feed them what they think they like, or you can feed them something good, and usually get a good response.

When my daughter was young, of course she liked to eat "nuggets" at That Fast Food Place, but for dinner I would take a single chicken thigh, lightly sauté in a bit of olive oil, then fry a bit of onion, add the chicken back with some orange segments, deglaze the pan with a bit of orange juice, and giver her that with some rice. She loved it. Similar things with thin pork chops and apples, and always a bit of spice.

I remember overhearing her and her friends talking about how bad McDonald's is at great length, then one of them said "But the fries are great" and they all agreed enthusiastically! :)

Metal shards probably would have improved the taste.
Isn't that funny. Like Scott, I might not find myself buying nuggets but every once in a while I see something that curiosity gets the best of me. One recent purchase was pre-seasoned chicken wings. They're a favourite in these parts (as most places I suppose) but they went and got expensive when the Yuppies came to town. The days of getting a free bag of wings from the butcher passed decades ago and fresh can be as expensive as breasts. Imaging my hesitation when a local market had these (made in-house) wings frozen in a 2 kg bag for $10. Fresh wings cost double that. Took them home, followed the cooking instructions and was literally flabbergasted when I took the first bite. A wing that I would be so proud to have produced, that came out of the freezer and into the oven. About 3 hours later I decided not to miss the opportunity to go back for more. Guess what? Uh-huh, all gone. I guess there are other who felt the same way. I've only ever seen them one other time and grabbed two bags.

Last edited:
Imaging my hesitation when a local market had these (made in-house) wings frozen in a 2 kg bag for $10. Fresh wings cost double that.

Interesting fresh here are $5.69/kg. We tried a Youtube recipe for tandoori style wings that was great a couple of weeks ago.

I apologize, I know folks have limited means I just make an effort to not support the most excessive industrial food conglomerates. And Ed I'm sorry Tyson actually makes three or four versions one of which is real pieces of breast (rather than re-assembled mechanically harvested meat) and none of the flavor boosting junk added.

A trick that works with kids (sometimes) is to get them involved in DIY. My daughter in-law cuts up fresh breast tenders and rolls them in raw corn flakes pulverized in a blender. You do know why Kellogg invented corn flakes?

Account Closed
Joined 2010
The thing I noticed with Indian food is that you have to add some spices twice.

That is some are fried in ghee or oil at the start of cooking and have to be added again later on. Apparently that is because frying changes the flavour so the later ones are not fried but only cooked and provide a different flavour.
There are quite a few good instructional vids on YT.
All the Indian food i saw in the UK was excessively spicy and no matter the combination, it always needs two key ingredient to protect you from health problems: turmeric(safron) and yogurt, so you can't figure no yellow in your daily Indian food.I had big health problems due to living for 2 months in an Indian neighborhood , not knowing the right ingredients when you buy that kind of food. It took me 8 months of recovery using my native traditional food with very mild to no spices and eaten only WARM to get over.
Before eating indian food you better observe an indian and the order of the ingredients he's eating.

Last edited:
I spent some time in South India (Bengaluru in Karnataka state) and I can tell you the food was spicier than I have had in any North American or UK Indian restaurant. I like spicy, but I have to say spicy food three meals a day every day starts to wear on you.

Yes, dahi (yogurt) is a big part of the Indian diet. Don't confuse turmeric (a rhizome like ginger) with saffron, which are dried stamens of a crocus flower, yes both yellow but completely different. Funnily enough I was in Grenada, "the Spice Island of the Caribbean", in March and they also call turmeric saffron, but they are wrong. :)

I think the most amazing things Indians do food-wise is lentils. Various types and colours of dal, vada, sambar, idli, dhosa, pakoras, onion bhaji, etc, all made from pulses and all different. They don't eat a lot of meat, especially the Hindus, but when they do they make it well. Mangalore style chicken curry, spicy but rich with toasted coconut, blew me away.