The food thread

After using the coring tool on the pineapple, there is a lot left over on the skin. We scrape that for juice and blender the core to make sure we reduce waste. Always seems to take a good 48 hours to accomplish what you want. Not as fast as the shake on Papain stuff it seems.
Of course when stir frying beef, baking soda is the go to. I may have typed this already but I am taking fewer drugs these days, so may have forgotten. Baking soda just to remind us of the restaurant style.

A rare visitor here - but this jumped out at me, in a good way.

I remember being shown how to sharpen things by my grandfather, a very patient, loving, gentle man, an old-shool pharmacist who worked with his hands for relaxation, one of those 'could make or fix or finesse anything' people.

Anyway - I remember one wet Saturday while 'helping' in the workshop being shown how to sharpen a chisel, maintaining and if necessary restoring the two bevels accurately; how to use the oilstone and differing stroke patterns to ensure they were accurate, square, true and finally - sharp.
Then how to strop (lap) that sharp edge to be sharp. And after a few hours when I'd got somewhat acceptable results on 1/4" and 1" chisels we moved onto a 2" Plane blade (for one of the many beautiful old Stanley planes I later inherited from him; still have and use); we'd got to the 'look at newspaper, it falls apart' stage when my parents came by and it was time to go home that evening.

- ' oh, and don't tell your mother!' followed me out of the door; because I was 6 yrs old.

I can still do it all (and probably blindfold) from recall of the touch and feel learnt that day. It remains a joy to use the same large slab of corundum to do so. Meditative indeed!

You are lucky to have had such a good education ( and such a good teacher) at such a young age.

Probiotic extravaganza starting on the left:
Chili liquid made in October, similar to Tabasco, milled and bottled today.
Napa, 2 days in.
Mustard 7 days in.
Black bean, fermenting started this morning with ginger, garlic and a shipload of salt. Not the 20% brine recommended, but maybe 10% anyway.
Front and center is pork floss (what's left of it), extra crispy, made from a picnic.

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 162
I just ordered a zwilling 8" chef knife (from the Pollux serie). I'll see how it turns out.
Received that one and couldn't be happier with it :)

It has some heft at 200gr without feeling like a brick. I much prefer that feeling to the victorinox knifes (the santoku I got was almost half that weight). The handle is also more to my taste, wider. I realize I'm firmly in the German style knifes camp :p

Cold weather is upon us, so it is my hot cocoa time.

In a 5 gallon pot two 8 quart bags of fat free powdered milk, a can of cocoa, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of vanilla and three one pound bags of powdered sugar. Mix the dry ingrediants thoroughly so the cocoa doesn't clump, then add 4 gallons of hot water.

Easier is the version with one bag of powdered milk and two jars of Ovaltine. Mix and add two gallons of hot water. Directions would call for one jar of Ovaltine, but I find two is better.

I understand there are some folks who make smaller quantities, my version of that is to melt 2 Bakers dark chocolate baking squares into a quart of milk, add regular sugar to taste, about 1/3 of a cup. Whisk till foamy and serve with whipped cream or even vanilla ice cream.

Never really liked the packets of dry mix.

Do note the two gallon version is so simple to make, and somehow it all goes away at any small gathering.

Last edited:
For me, hot cocoa is tightly linked to the slow stirring of pure cocoa powder into milk.

My recipe for a quick drink is to pour 3 teaspoons of cocoa powder (the brand we get around is Van Houten) and 1 teaspoon of sugar into a bowl. Add a little bit of hot water (about two table spoons) and whisk, whisk, whisk until smooth. Then add cold whole milk slowly while whisking. Then nuke it in the microwave (shame on me I know). A dash of Cointreau isn't unwelcome to finish it...

Which brings up the differences in ingrediants. Hershey's cocoa is dominant here. Stronger and more bitter than the "Dutch" process cocoas. Milk used to be 4-5% fat, now fat free or 1/2%, 1% or even 2%. Much closer to water. To make up for it they often add extra milk protein to some foods.

Now cane sugar is sold as a premium sugar compared to the more common beet sugar. In baking I find sucrose much better but often for drinks fructose is used.

As noted using cocoa and getting it uniformly dissolved is the real trick, no matter which version one uses.

A local pizza house is proud that they haven't changed their recipe in 60+ years. However they failed to note the cheese is now lower fat, the flour contains modified wheat, but the tomatoes are pretty much the same. The pepperoni and sausage of course are much lower fat.

Which brings up the differences in ingredients. Hershey's cocoa is dominant here. Stronger and more bitter than the "Dutch" process cocoas. Milk used to be 4-5% fat, now fat free or 1/2%, 1% or even 2%. Much closer to water. To make up for it they often add extra milk protein to some foods.

Those milks would absolutely need some cream added for a smooth cocoa :nod: Here there's still a brand which provides whole milk at about 4% fat (between 3.8 and 4.4 actually). I've no experience with Hershey tbh, thx for the pointer on differences.