The food thread

Kerrygold doesn't have an unsalted version, but it is soooohhh good on a baked potato.

They do here, lucky for me Costco carries it. I have yet to find mechanically tenderized meat at any of our Costcos even though they do mention is on their web site. The FDA requires a warning label since 2016 due to a couple of salmonella fatalities. I'll pass.

Mechanically Tenderized Beef

both honey and chocolate make me break out as if I were a 15 year old.

but nothing seems better atop an english muffin on a sunday morning than a good dollop of honey.

That's because you haven't had my marmalade. :)

Kidding aside honey is fantastic, and has some wonderful characteristics. About ten or more years ago I was in our local corner store picking up some milk and a weekend newspaper (I think this was after I quit smoking) and noticed some plain unlabeled tubs f joney on the counter with a photocopied essay about the wonders of honey. Apparently some old geezer from down the shore had showed up at the store selling his honey. The price was good so I bought a tub. My, that was good honey. He never came back and I don't know his name or where he lived ("near Lunenburg" was all I got) so have never had it again.

Last edited:
my mother recalled that margarine was sold with a tiny vial of yellow coloring in the late 1940's/

We had that sometimes back in the early 1960's, I assume it was cheaper than the regular margarine. The colour dot looked sort of dark orange, and you had to work it into the marge until the colour was consistent. Fun for the kids. I wonder if it was left over from the 1940's and had been sitting in some government warehouse for 15 years or so?

People pine for the good old days, but we ate a lot of cr@p back then. I remember "candy" that seemed to be made from sweetened candle wax.

Similar. I remember a whistle, almost like a small pan-pipe, that was made of a hard yellow wax and banana flavored, which was sold as "chewing gum", like a toy and gum in one. It was terrible, the wax sort of crumbled until it warmed in your mouth enough to soften. Maybe I just didn't understand the instructions. :) Wouldn't be the last time.

Trading card gum was also often garbage that was stale and crumbled. However, we did also have MacIntosh toffee! (And black-balls, hard candy with a coriander seed in the middle, three for a penny.)

Ah yes, bringing back memories of filling those little brown paper sacks with penny candies at Mrs Frost’s Corner store corner of Oak Bay/Foul Bay Rds. The little leaf shaped mint jellies and mini French nougats were my favorites, but there were way too many to choose just one or two at a time, so I didn’t. A quarter would go a long way in the early 60’s

(And black-balls, hard candy with a coriander seed in the middle, three for a penny.)

Ah yes, the smallest member of the jawbreaker family. The seed they used around these parts was anise, similar to the flavour on the outside black layer. King cobs were my real favourite. Took an hour to finish (but what a great hour that was) and every so often you pulled it to see what colour layer you were at. Always thought the one penny was a better deal then the little black three fers, and with my Father doling the allowance, that was critical.

Fun with lentils

While recovering ftom December's over indulgence (booze, lobster, mincemeat tarts, shortbreads, etc) we decided to have at least one veg night every week. One still needs protein, so that means pulses, legumes, beans, lentils.

Last week I made a dish of brown lentils cooked with finely diced leeks, celery, carrots, parsnips, squash, kale, and mushrooms with fresh herbs, a splash of vermouth, and all simmered in home made chicken stock. (Is the chicken stock cheating? I don't care, I never claimed to be vegetarian just reducing meat intake and increasing veg.) It was delicious served over couscous.

Tonight we went Indian, I cooked toor dal ("red" lentils which look like small yellow split peas, aka tuval dal) with carrot, potato, cabbage, kale, peppers and cauliflower, with lots of spice. Like sambar but no tamarind. Some of the peppers were ripe red jalapenos picked fresh from plants I have been growing from seed. Anyway served over plain basmati rice, tasty and spicy but not over the top.

Not sure what to cook next week, maybe something with chick peas.

Last edited:
For the first several months after Old Dutch introduced Salt ‘n Vinegar chips back in the mid -late 60s I think, the regenerative powers of the epithelial cells on inside of my cheeks were tested big time. I tried that brand recently, and let’s just say something was lost with the passage of time. Miss Vickie’s* or Kettle Foods, on the other hand do a pretty decent job with their hand-crafted batch production flavoured potato chips, both of which I am pleased to remind my wife are gluten free!
* their Sea Salt & Malt Vinegar, and Balsamic Vinegar & Sweet Onion flavours are among my favorite junk food snacks, of which I’ve tested rather more than I can remember.

Looks fine, it really does come out fine without that much butter fat. I found 1/4 cup of heavy cream made less more livery tasting pate.

A personal take (and too much work) below:

I used to soak the livers in heavy cream, drain them, and poach them in a small crock covered completely in butter in a 200F oven until 165F . This guaranteed that they were just the right pink all through. I then pounded them through a fine sieve to make the texture perfectly smooth. The little ramekins with the clarified butter on top kept it looking perfect (it oxidizes readily on top otherwise) until the next day or so. I don't like chicken livers cooked brown, my personal taste. All the work was originally an attempt at making a sort of faux fois gras .

Last edited: