Mix 0.4 litre wheat flour with
200 gram melted butter and
50 gram finely ground walnuts

Press that into a pie form

Mix 280 gram blue cheese with
3 eggs and empty the mix into the shell
Cover the surface with slices from 3 pears
Bake for 1/2 hour at 175 degrees C

When ready "paint" the pears with a spoonful of honey and sprinkle some black pepper on top and add some walnuts for decoration.

I'd say the pie is best when slightly warm (not cold). Perfect with a glass of claret.

We also noted that it's maybe better to use 0,2 litres of flour and 100 gram (cold) butter and a tablespoon or two of cold water.

Today I cooked risotto, using rice brought home from Italy last year. Yummi!

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ae4.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ae4.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 136
Thanks Phil,
Question for you.
When you say beef short ribs do you mean the original or the Maui (Korean) cut? I can't see from the pic. In these parts they both are called the 'short ribs' for some reason.

Also, a little hint on the sous vide. Try using a drink cooler with the lid upside down as shown. It's electricity friendly, especially for those 48-72 hour meats.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 134
Thanks Phil,
Question for you.
When you say beef short ribs do you mean the original or the Maui (Korean) cut?.....Also, a little hint on the sous vide. Try using a drink cooler with the lid upside down as shown....
Cheers.

They're what I learned as flanken cut - sawed across the bones into 2-3 inch long strips then sliced into individual pieces. Around here they're just sold as short ribs tho. Thanks for the reminder on the cooler. I was too lazy to get it out but have another 24 hrs to go. I seared these before bagging so it's a bit of an experiment for me.

Off to the local brewery - they just released an Oktoberfest-style beer that's delicious. :drink:

Phil

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 122
I don’t think I’ve seen a blue cheese pie before!
I have smoked and barbecue-roasted a pork loin last night, with some spices having covered it for a few hours prior. Now the refrigerator smells like a deli!
Made some very good sandwiches here already today.

Some beer would be very nice with my sandwiches, but I’ve decided to take break from that for a while. The beer I like sounds like the same that Cal likes...

They were farmed in Sweden, as they didn't belong the usual suspects in our forests. Apperantly, some idiots let them loose and now they are everywhere.
Interesting facts is that, when looking at road accidents between cars and wildlife, boars are now #2 on that list.
Those grumpy hogs are such killjoys that they have evicted school children from there playing fields here in the UK.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 74
And from the other side of food, last week I rendered a few pounds of lamb fat, so today I cut up and fried a lamb liver to make pate.

Ground the liver, fat and a bit of onion twice through a hand cranked meat chopper. Added a bit of salt and cognac.

You can taste a bit of onion and cognac but most folks never having had liver pate are surprised that liver is the main ingredient.

Now proper serving is to carve the vegetables into flowers to surround the mound of pate and the outer ring is thin slices of fresh baked bread made into small toasted slices.

Next time I make this I will try to shoot a few pictures. The lamb fat and liver generally look disgusting before cooking.

The one interesting side effect is that when you get the rendered fat on your hands it is great for them and leaves them nice smooth and soft!

The beer I like sounds like the same that Cal likes...
My tastes are varied but I have to say, those listed above all delivered as promised and add the good company and it made for a great evening.
I took a hole saw and went straight through the lid to make a nice fit. Once off it loses like 2 F an hour, so nice and miserly.
Good idea. Unfortunately I used mine as a cooler also. Maybe I'll go get a dedicated unit.
pate.<snip>Now proper serving is to carve the vegetables into flowers to surround the mound of pate and the outer ring is thin slices of fresh baked bread made into small toasted slices.
Nice touch.
The one interesting side effect is that when you get the rendered fat on your hands it is great for them and leaves them nice smooth and soft!
And are clean without soap or detergent. Yes, I know what soap is. :)

Sous vide potatoes? Are you describing the mid-160 F starch conversion step before full boiling?

Hi Daniel -- It was about 185-190F for about 2 hrs to get over 183F to breakdown pectin. I hand-mashed these but have used a ricer before. They turn out perfectly time after time and can be done ahead. I put butter, salt and sometimes garlic in bag. Black pepper doesn't work well in the cooking bag as it "stains" the 'taters. White pepper seems ok. Also, fresh herbs such as thyme or rosemary need to wrapped in cheese cloth or they disintegrate.

I've also cooked whole potatoes this way but cut the cooking time down so they're still firm but just cooked through. They make great hash browns or home fries like that.

@Cal -- I used a few sprigs of rosemary for the beef. Does that count? I got into a growler of beer that afternoon and just didn't get it together. Some dark greens might have been really good.

Phil

I used a few sprigs of rosemary for the beef. Does that count?
Close enough.
I got into a growler of beer that afternoon and just didn't get it together.
On the contrary.
Some dark greens might have been really good.
We are now using the tired looking garden greens like the spinach, romaine, mustard, kale and chard all together and done gomae style. Great way to use up the last of the season.