The food thread

Welcome back, Cal! Hope your respite was/continues to be helpful.

I just got back from car-camping Yellowstone and Grand Teton, and as far as food: making a bunch of pasta sauces (simple simple simple) to be able to boil water, heat sauce and go is a godsend. So is augmenting even cheap ramen (we didn't go to the Asian market, shame on us) with sauteed veggies.

That's all I got lately culinarily.

Scott, since most States ban the sale of wild game you will probably not find it in a restaurant. They rely on ranch raised game.

Ironically hunter shot game from Scotland has been available in restaurants (at least in the past), d'Artagnan still lists the grouse and hare in their online store. AFAIK feral Texas boar is being served in restaurants and is available on line. The wild boar business is booming in Texas

The rules usually are there to prevent circumventing the usual inspections, so individual hunters or fishermen for that matter can not sell directly. We were prevented (as a cooperative group) from raising chickens and selling them even to our own members.

Last edited:
Ha..ha..ha..... Wild boar is not game it is varmint.

Probably different laws.

That article is funny calling out .223 for boar.

I would never shoot boar with a .223. Too likely to lose it (or get attacked by it) as they are tough, tough, tough.

There are a lot better rounds for the AR platform including 6.5mm and 6.8mm rounds. Personally I would chose the 300 blackout and a good gen II or later night vision scope on a SRB with a suppressor as be an ideal setup for boar. A couple hundred yards away they would not know what hit them.

I have friends in lowland SC that have problems with boar. They are seriously destructive (I've seen the damage) and dangerous.

If I shot one, I would eat it unless it was infected. I don't believe in trophy hunting. Food is food, don't waste it.

I would never shoot boar with a .223.

I believe the correct weapon for boar is a drilling.

Having said that, I once had a client who went boar hunting in Germany with a friend. The friend (equipped with a drilling) saw a boar and fired the rifle round at the boar and missed. The boar charged him and he fired the shotgun round and mostly missed again. The boar, on its way by him, used his tusk to remove the man's calf muscle.

You really need to make sure your shot counts with a boar, they are one of the game animals that can fight back.

I learned about boar in CA in the 60s. Pickering were nasty wild boar. Hunters carried 45ACP as backup.

Like I said, 300 Blackout is a reasonable round in the AR platform. You at least have a second recovery shot with an AR. Bolt rifles, I'll stick to at least a 6.5 Swedish Mauser, up to 30-06 or 8mm Mauser. Anything over that does too much meat damage.

Last edited:
Tonight is four, sous vide beef shank steaks.

Ingredients in order:
Two are ground coffee, demerara sugar, ketsup (combo spelling) water, salt and cumin.
Two are wooster, soy sauce, brown sugar, water

12 hours at 130ºF. If they are not ready, I will do something else with them and have leftovers tonight. Scallop and prawn leftovers from last night that is.

With a combo of garden greens done gomae style as we have had a great run of weather and haven't even picked the last of the tomatoes let alone the leafy greens, and checking my calendar that must be a first.

Cheers everyone, it's good to be back in the diyAudio kitchen with you.

I believe the correct weapon for boar is a drilling.

Having said that, I once had a client who went boar hunting in Germany with a friend. The friend (equipped with a drilling) saw a boar and fired the rifle round at the boar and missed. The boar charged him and he fired the shotgun round and mostly missed again. The boar, on its way by him, used his tusk to remove the man's calf muscle.

You really need to make sure your shot counts with a boar, they are one of the game animals that can fight back.

Oh man, a Drilling with an 8X57 bore is on my short list of holy grail rifles. Very uncommon here on the west coast.

I think it's unethical/ill advised to use any intermediate or smaller cartridge on boar, bringing enough gun makes much more sense on these rough and tough animals.

Boar hunting has become a sad issue around here. You have companies pretty much feeding hundred of beasts on a small surface and organizing a few big hunts per year, with occasional hunters just there for the kills (up to 120 kills per day). Since those guys aren't the best shots ever, they have to use big rifles (9.3mm is common). And what's left of the meat isn't very interesting, considering how much corn they've been given.

It was all over the news recently but "real" hunters have been denouncing that for a while. A pity.

Wild boars are mighty grumpy hogs.
There are a few places in UK that have them.

They were farmed in Sweden, as they didn't belong the usual suspects in our forests. Apperantly, some idiots let them loose and now they are everywhere.
Interesting facts is that, when looking at road accidents between cars and wildlife, boars are now #2 on that list.

Btw, our king's sister lives in a castle just 20 miles from us and she keeps a variety of animals on the fields. Many of the animals end up the shop belonging to the castle, either packed up raw or smoked. Did try boar filets once - :D

Yesterdays dinner:
Roasted poatatoes, carrots, beetroot with topping of blue cheese and Jerusalem artichoke.

To finish off, a blue cheese pie with pears and honey on top.

Attachments

• IMG_6201.JPG
    IMG_6201.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6202.JPG
    IMG_6202.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 106