The food thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Harvested and cooked up a bunch of Okinawan Sweet Potato yesterday and the day before. Tasted great with a little butter but even on its own it wasn't overpowering at all, in fact it tasted much like an ordinary potato and I rather appreciated the taste. I replanted some of the roots and placed the boxes that I grow them in in a different location where they can get more sunlight. I'm hoping to increase my harvest rates.

Attachments

• 223-diyaudio.jpg
    223-diyaudio.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 167
Canadian Thanksgiving and I finally tried a spatchcocked turkey. it worked really welk, thou I did not anticipate how quickly it would cook so dinner timing was off.

First mounded stuffing in a pan

1538939820936597.jpg

Then draped the spatchcocked turkey ovet it.

1538939820156596.jpg

Needless to say I then brused it with oil and butter and seasoned. No pics of the finished bird because too busy, but it was very good.

We have a quince tree in the garden here. It gave us about 35kg of fruits this year. It's very good in jelly, jam or compote but it requires quite a bit of work. It's really hard to cut. I've already 10kg of compote in the freezer, 6l of jelly and I've still 15kg of fruits to deal with. I gave some away too.

@ soundbrigade: actually I never had the top. It's only a Moroccan looking big dish. I'm cheating a bit with this tajine as the quinces aren't actually cooking with the chicken.

The recipe is quite simple: cut the chicken in big pieces and quickly roast it on a pan for a few minutes. Set aside. Then fry in a big pot onions, with garlic, cinnamon, ginger, curcuma, salt, pepper (boatloads of all). Add the chicken back in, drop enough water to almost cover the chicken, some broth cubes if you want. Close the pot, stick it into the oven for about an hour at medium heat.

When the chicken is in the oven, cut the quinces in 8, removing the seeds but keeping the skin (which has to be strongly brushed to remove the "hairy" part). Boil for about 10 minutes (kind of firm). Some quinces will fall apart when boiling, put them in the pot with the chicken. Drop the firm ones in a pan with loads of butter and sugar, let it caramelize.

To serve, get the chicken out of the pot into a dish, heat the rest of liquid in the pot again to make it a bit less runny if needed, add the quinces, cover with the sauce. Add some grilled sesame seeds for decoration. That's it.

Please help me understand: WTF is wrong with me?
We got a Grapefruit today, because the kids did not know what it was and the missus also never tried it before.
All things being as they should: They all quickly shied away after a very quick taste.

But I liked it! I actually ate the whole thing! What's going on?

There is nothing wrong with you, grapefruit are delicious! The membranes that separate the sections can be bitter, so you may want a grapefruit spoon, which is like a teaspoon but pointy and serrated, which makes it easy to dig out the delicious flesh and leave the membrane behind.

Grapefruit also is great in marmalade, and the juice is required for a really good Planter's Punch.

... grapefruit are delicious! ...

Indeed they are, apparently.
Been thinking that it might have been a case of Pomelo addiction that's softened me up over time.

Pomelo is just so incredibly good, no problem eating a large one by myself. Not a whole lot of places they are sold here though.
Thankfully I now can enjoy the more easily available Grapefruit to almost the same extent.