The food thread

Well it's the 4th, Bill, so we're going to celebrate kicking your type out of our land (that we strong-armed from some other folks) by eating dead animals and blowing up the sky.

Pork ribs and I believe my mom's green bean, potato, tomato salad are on the docket here. Not sure what I'll be tasked to help with: we've got the whole family getting together so it'll be fun to see everyone.

Funny I thought the Brits just tired of the expense and foolishness. The idea that we kicked their b... was behind our invading the north of the border colonies. Didn't fare too well. Had to repaint the Presidents residence after the Brits paid him a visit.

As to food I got in my lamb order. Got belly to make pseudo bacon and liver for pate. Just fried up a bit and used the old fashioned meat chopper to blend it with the butter, spices and plant stuff. Very mild and I think tasty. Will serve at a picnic tomorrow and see what others think.

Next week will start on curing a belly piece.

In Edinburgh -- they know how to make frites -- fry 'em in beef tallow!

Word!

The best chips I had in Britain were in the Black Country Living Museum from their 1930s Chip Shop which are fried traditionally in beef drippings/tallow/lard.

They filmed Peaky Blinders ( Peaky Blinders (TV series - Wikipedia) there but unfortunately the chippie is behind the pay barrier so access would cost £15 per year.

Anyway, it's good to know that traditional British chips are not suitable for me.

Yummo, these chips and fish were fried in beef tallow!

Attachments

• 9B8FB73C-74B4-4FEA-9A08-29BFAC8E4DC3.jpg
    9B8FB73C-74B4-4FEA-9A08-29BFAC8E4DC3.jpg
    812.4 KB · Views: 137
Dim Sum in Chicago

Another trip where I had to bypass a visit with SY. Chicken feet with Chinese medicine, there are no words for how fine this is. The pig stomach with 5 spice is actually properly translated as chitterlings and not Cal's uterus still fine.

Attachments

• food1.jpg
    food1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 106
  • food2.jpg
    food2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 97
Here, uterus often gets sold as 'intestine'. Intestine looks a lot like the bowl you have on the right. Hard to tell from this angle. So yes, chitterlings.

I notice your chicken feet were not fried first. Hard to find that dish around here unless you get the deboned pre-boiled, unflavoured feet.

Either way, glad you enjoyed them. Too bad about SY.