The food thread

Pond chicken. Available as frozen (affordable) or live frogs where they only give you the legs after selling you the whole frog (expensive). I once said, it's ok give them to me live, I'll butcher them myself. He stared at me funny then started laughing. No, no live frogs mister.

When Jacques Pepin started cooking in NY, he went up to a duck farm (I guess lower Connecticut or Upper Westchester) and asked for some ducks. He got 'em, paid for 'em, snapped their necks and threw 'em into the trunk of their car. Needless, this left the children horrified.

When Jacques Pepin started cooking in NY, he went up to a duck farm (I guess lower Connecticut or Upper Westchester) and asked for some ducks. He got 'em, paid for 'em, snapped their necks and threw 'em into the trunk of their car. Needless, this left the children horrified.

Similar story for an Asian fellow who wanted horse meat. Went to a farm bought a pony, clubbed it to death and put it in his trunk. Made news when he got charged with animal cruelty. (He got off.)

BTY re: hot dogs:

Smiths of Erie are available at the regional suprrmarket chain Giant Eagle. You might want to give them a try. Other local favorite is chipped chopped ham. Most prefer it on a hamburger bun with lots of mayo. The other school frys it.

Kensington market in Toronto used to (maybe still does, IDK) have some fresh poultry shops with live birds. I remember once seeing a lovely WASP yuppie couple there who obviously wanted to serve duck for dinner party and decided to get some fresh ones. A young lad wearing an outsized, blood spattered apron stood in front of them holding up two live ducks which quacked unhappily. The horrified look on the faces of the nice people was something to see. I expect they went to Loblaws and bought a couple of frozen ducks.

Senfbraten, broiled brusselsprouts and parsley potatoes for dinner.

The Pork loin was browned in olive oil and garlic, then I removed the medallions and added mushrooms to the hot oil, along with sliced jalapeno, chopped green onions. Cornstarch to thicken it and added the medallions back just before serving.

The brusselsprouts were drizzled with olive oil and dusted with garlic salt, balck pepper and red pepper, and cooked half way before adding bacon crumbles.

Potatoes were boiled, drained and I added butter, salt pepper and chopped parsley.

Very good all in all.

Am busy doing this instead of cooking. Still, a very enjoyable activity.

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 79