The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
This will give you an idea of the ethnicity of where I live.
I can tell you that those numbers do not reflect reality
Tagalog and Vietnamese are way underrated in those tables.
I suspect others as well.

I think more importantly the percentage numbers are what matters.

If we're gonna quote absolute numbers then I live in a Peking suburb.

My city, just a drop in the metropolis, is 44% Asian... for over 130K. You got your (lots of) Chinese, then you got the Persians, Indians, some Japanese, etc... we even got Vietnamese... the ones that make good money (like our eye doctor) and moved out of Westminster.

Yep, our food is also very good. I'd say the best dim sum this way of Chinatown/LA, Monterey Park, Pasadena, Torrance... hmm.... As good, or better actually, than the stuff we've had in Vancouver, BC and Seattle. (Haven't done SF for eons).

Darn good Vietnamese too, lots of pho... but if we just drive a few miles North on the 405, you see the old South Vietnamese flag all over and some truly awesome Viet cuisine.... I myself am partial for French-Viet fusion. Some of the best pates I've ever tasted.
I love those take out lunches with rice, pork and an egg on top. Yum!

Honestly, we keep thinking of moving out of State, but then I think that for the time being the cuisine around here is only matched by East New Jersey (and their Asian sucks in comparison). Although the Brazilian BBQ is making good inroads in SoCal too.

Then you got the In'N'Out down our street and Roberto's down in San Diego.

Let's not forget Hawai'ian plate lunches and Okinawan champuru!

And, oh! let's not forget Mariscos Hector in Santa Ana.

And, I did post up the pictures of the paella for my wife's birthday at La Española in San Pedro.

Oh, Naresh, we also got quite a few Indian restaurants. It's amazing how complex that cuisine really is. I think we got our Chinese down pat, but Indian is a kaleidoscope... never mind that it begat IPA beer.

Then, I almost forgot, we got a huge Filipino supermarket with their food court. No need to go to Artesia for us. Anona Pare!

I'm suddenly pretty hungry.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I believe the percentage of "asians" in California stands at around 15M, which is about 15%.

The "Chinese" are in total about 1.7M -including Taiwanese.

Most of the "Chinese" in the Bay Area came from Southern China (Hong Kong)... while in SoCal we have a lot of Taiwanese and Northern Mainland Chinese. I believe the Bay Area population is long established- multigenerational- American-Chinese whereas we have a lot of first generation immigrants in SoCal.

If you want "chop-suy" and American-Cantonese you go to the Bay Area. If you want Taiwanese, Funan, Hunan, etc... you come to SoCal. I can recommend Pasadena, Monterey Park and Irvine.

The population in BC is most from Hong Kong, right? Came in when the UK ceded HK to China?

Have you noticed how many good dim sum restaurants are called xxxx-Empress?

Around here a local burger chain (Winky’s) offshoot of a processed meat company (Jiffy Steaks) introduced a double burger they called a “Big Wink.”

A local Mickey D’s pretty much copied it to the initial concern of the franchiser. But it took off and quickly went national.

The other local culinary high point was of course the “Pittsburgh Rare Steak.”

Of course “Iron City Beer” is of note for how it is often rated by taste testings.

Around here the major influence is Eastern European.

I dined at one restaurant that had the raved about specialty dish “Chicken Paprikash.” My dining partners thought it quite special. I just considered it normal chicken as it was what Katherine the family cook alway made.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Not quite. Highly hopped beers were already available, but the marketing dept got involved. Anyway India did not 'begat' IPA the pissed up invaders insisted on having beer.

Side note: India didn't really need governing, as there were very efficient local arrangement already in place. So the governers sent there by the east india company didn't have much to do and so spent most of their time getting drunk. That period also market the rise in G&T consumption to ward off malaria.

I'll leave the logistics of the semantics and correlations to you fine gentlemen but you may be saying the same sort of things in a different 'dialect' of a watered down and bastardized Germanic language the Brits decided to call English.

Sure, the India Pale Ale was a highly hopped and high alcohol beer shipped to India and often reconstituted to make it a palatable beverage, but there are so many stories about the what and how floating around, that one could tell almost any IPA story and have it be at least half true.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
At this point the quote by James D. Nicoll seems apt.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse *****. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'll leave the logistics of the semantics and correlations to you fine gentlemen but you may be saying the same sort of things in a different 'dialect' of a watered down and bastardized Germanic language the Brits decided to call English.

Sure, the India Pale Ale was a highly hopped and high alcohol beer shipped to India and often reconstituted to make it a palatable beverage, but there are so many stories about the what and how floating around, that one could tell almost any IPA story and have it be at least half true.

It instead of the "Spanish" Armada it had been the "Catalan" Armada, today Canadians would have a proper language and a great cuisine.

I dunno about the UK proper. Perhaps the Romans had a great idea with Adrian's Wall.

:):):)

Canadians would have a proper language and a great cuisine.
Hay, we speaky goodly Inglitch mr Marican.
Please to be wury about you. we be fine here. we just need igloo to stay warm, okey mr californey?

As far as cuisine goes, what the heck man? Thousands of years of others teaching us, gives us the ripe opportunity to take what's been learned and turn out some of the finest chefs ever, that just happen to have a Canadian flag on their back or a flair or twist about them.
Tony, pride is good, don't get me wrong.

Besides, what you gots against beavertails, or maple syrup or poutine, eh?
Okay wait, those aren't great examples but give me a couple years, I'll come up with some good ones. :smash:

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Poutine is the hill I will die on. If I eat enough. 🍁

I don’t portend that it’s the bee’s knees of authenticity, but I am fortunate to have a Canadaphile restaurant near me that serves delicious poutine. One of my favorite things to eat in Charm City, hon!

They have a ‘Strange Brew’ poster, so they can’t be all bad.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hay, we speaky goodly Inglitch mr Marican.
Please to be wury about you. we be fine here. we just need igloo to stay warm, okey mr californey?

As far as cuisine goes, what the heck man? Thousands of years of others teaching us, gives us the ripe opportunity to take what's been learned and turn out some of the finest chefs ever, that just happen to have a Canadian flag on their back or a flair or twist about them.
Tony, pride is good, don't get me wrong.

Besides, what you gots against beavertails, or maple syrup or poutine, eh?
Okay wait, those aren't great examples but give me a couple years, I'll come up with some good ones. :smash:

Thousands of years... at least you don't have haggis....

...oh wait... Poutine.

Eh, eh... (warning, here it comes) we got the fake no sugar "maple syrup"... no calories, great taste... wonders of the American Food Industry. Most likely made in an American lab somewhere. Tijuana? No trees (or cactii) were harmed.

Well, at least you play good hockey. We got Club Seats to watch the Ducks demolish the Oilers. Mid February, I think.

GO DUCKS.... I wonder how much they'll want for a pint of IPA? We had Ducks tickets for a game on late January '20. We passed on that one... remember the date? By then I had over 200 rolls of TP.