The food thread

I made fresh gnocchi for the first time last year…….I’ll never buy the stuff from the store again!

Attachments

• E2423E18-83E0-4B23-A51B-858D5DE0CAAA.jpeg
    E2423E18-83E0-4B23-A51B-858D5DE0CAAA.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 0B773DC1-506E-49E1-9069-305470FCD1A0.jpeg
    0B773DC1-506E-49E1-9069-305470FCD1A0.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks Cal, yes, she's better today. Its rare she gets one. Maybe a couple times a year. My mother was a chronic sufferer of migraines my whole life. I've seen how debilitating they can be.

I used the "cheater method" for the quick gnocchi, take 125gr baby spinach, 150gr plain flour (AP here in the states), good pinch of salt and throw it all in a food processor. In about 2 minutes you'll have a sticky dough, just add flour as you knead it until its not sticky anymore. Wrap and rest while water boils and you make your sauce. Don't even have to roll out the "snakes" if you dont want to, just flatten it by hand to a modest thickness and use kitchen scissors to cut chunks off directly into boiling water.

Thanks Cal, yes, she's better today. Its rare she gets one. Maybe a couple times a year.
Same here. Good to know. It can be more than a little unsettling even for the non-affected.
Cal, please get her eyes checked, and also a full body exam.
Naresh, I genuinely thank you for your thoughts but maybe it's time to reflect on our different situations.
Being Vietnamese and in Canada for 32 years now, she has been examined, tested, poked and prodded more than I could ever hoped to have kept up with. She's had her eyes drilled and her brain scanned. It goes on and on. Thankfully, like Fast's better half, it's only 2 or 3 times a year sometimes fewer. It's well diagnosed and treated to the best of both Occidental and Oriental abilities.
There are also other family members that use methods outside of those common ones.
Now, because this is a food thread, and I have explained this in detail, perhaps it's best if we steer it back that direction?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Nothing exiting been cooked here but I made 2 types of Jam last night. #5 will only each strawberry jam but #6 (who is turning into a foodie) has been nagging me to make raspberry. In winter I use frozen fruit, which is a cheat but does speed the whole process up.

I've also been educating myself on the various egg/bread/pan combinations. Over here we tend to whisk the egg up and dip the bread in and call it the imaginative name of 'eggy bread'. Works in a sandwich toaster as well (note when I was 16 almost anything worked in a sandwich toaster). As far as I can tell the next up the chain in complexity is French toast, which it appears the french don't eat much these days and usually contains milk and sweetning. Then we get the fancy pants birds nests on artisan bread you guys make.

I feel such a hick around you guys :D

That does not sound quick nor cheater.
A lot quicker than blanching spinach, pureed, and added to a boiled, peeled, riced, potato gnocchi dough.

Pain perdu/French toast is a common breakfast sweet here. I'm more partial to "eggs in the clouds" which is whipped egg whites formed into a volcano, baked and the whole yolk put in it towards the end. Served on crusty bread with whatever breakfast type meats and toppings you prefer.

20191027_085327.jpg
20191027_090906.jpg

Roasted potatoes -- I get the fingerlings or other small potato, rub with oil, salt, rosemary and pepper. (FWIW in spite of bitter cold, the rosemary refuses to perish). These I put in a shallow Creuset pan and roast on the Weber. They are devoured by guests who range in age from 3 to 99 years old!

Baked potatoes discussed in todays UK Telegraph. HoHum.

I only add a pinch of salt to the egg whites for every 4 eggs. Textbook whipping technique works best in this. Preheated oven to 400°F, parchment lined tray in the top 1/3 of the oven. Bake 5 minutes or until just turning color on the tips. Add egg yolk, continue baking 3 more minutes for runny, 5-8 minutes for set. These don't keep well, so serve immediately.

In an interesting turn of events, I literally just now, FOUND two, cast iron chicken fryer pans, lol!

I work in an industrial area, 75,000ft/sq building and we get a lot of homeless parking dilapidated motorhomes on the streets, collecting garbage and of course leaving a ton, too. Well, taking a quick walk around the property on break I find a pile of trash in our bushes, so I go to collect it. In there I spot these two pans! Muddy, but don't look cooked in. No cracks, rust or anything! The one on the left is a Lodge.

Going to hose these off and give a quick scrub before putting them in my car, but score!

20240125_151410.jpg