The food thread

Holy hell, this Diablo bread is good! Like, really good!

210gr ripe levain
750gr water (50gr reserved for salt)
1000gr bread flour
160gr sriracha hot sauce
1/4C dried Hatch chile flakes, green and red. (Yes, that much, not a typo)
Makes two loaves.

The flavor, get a nice kick of heat, but not overwhelming, even to those who don't like hot stuff. But, its got a very nice spicy flavor. I'm going to make a mozzarella grilled cheese with this stuff for sure!

This recipe is going into regular rotation absolutely!

20240120_201609.jpg
20240120_201621.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Go Ducks.
The lame Ducks are playing the lame Sharks tonight. You might want to ask your cat to step in.
You might also note that has nothing to do with Hockey Night in Canada, but what the heck, who isn't charitable when it comes to hockey?

Great beer at the Pond...
Not here. If you want to enjoy a beer night at the arena, you might as well take out a second mortgage.

except for the one time that my wife spilled a pint of ice cold IPA down between my legs
Aw, it probably just cooled down your ultra-manly side for a bit. Nothing a shower and a good 'sorry honey' from the Mrs. couldn't fix.

It wasn't so much that it was COLD... but it was a $12 pint... this was like 10 years ago.....

I may be Muy Macho... but, as my Norwegian friend once told me, holding his thumb and fore finger about an inch apart... "it was that cold".

And, I'm cheap....12 bucks! Down my lap.... Mon Dieu! What a waste!

Ducks.... lame? What do you know about hockey (*)... hey, they play at the Honda Pond. The area outside the Pond is warmer... even at night. And it's in Orange County, not like the Kings up in LA. In any event, you put your jacket to watch the game, take if off when you go outside.

(*) Don't answer that. There was the one job where we had weekly meetings with a vendor up in Ottawa. So, the Mighty Ducks were in the NHL finals against some team from Ottawa. Anyhow, one morning, after the meeting, the Canadians congratulated us on the win... We had no clue... until Yours Truly remembered and put the phone on mute...

"Hey, I think the Ducks won last night, didn't they"

Oh, Sh!!tsky, we felt bad... not only did the Canadian guys really felt bad, but we had no clue... double injury, but being nice guys we took the phone off mute:

"Thank you Michel, that was a nice series, eh? You guys played very well too"

We hadn't watched any games.

Then you got the times I talked like Inspecteur Clouseau to our own team... or the day I fell into my fifth year french.... it just came naturally...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes Tony, in 2007 The Anaheim Ducks beat the Ottawa Senators in 5 games in a best of seven series.
My team otoh has been to the big dance 3 times but are yet to be the prom queens.
This year they are the best in the league at this point but no chickens are being counted yet. They are still just eggs.

Yes, while I am not a big bread person, I am a fan of those who do things outside the box. I think this Fast one qualifies.
My favourite bread to date was from a bakery and was a salt stick that used a lot of olive oil.
Because of consciousness these days, you don’t see many salt breads out there.

BC Place Stadium is a dome. They used to have Dome Dogs and Dome Burgers. We replaced Dome with the word Doom for reasons apparent to anyone who partook in the offerings.
Gone are those days.
The offerings are top notch. But judging by the portions, I have to guess the large delivery trucks are not able to make it into the stadium.

Last edited:
Sundays are lazy days for me. Especially rainy days.

Just a quick tartine of that Diablo bread, mozzarella, S&P, garlic, cilantro and green onion. Fried in butter on low heat. Couple of sunny side up eggs, sriracha, cilantro and onion. Disposable plate because I am taking this upstairs and did I mention being lazy?!

20240121_151652.jpg

Tony, this bread is amazing. I was considering a cheese and jalapeno sourdough, but that seemed too pedestrian for me. The heat level of this bread and flavor profile is a perfect match to so many different flavors. The missus has declared it her favorite and I'm very much thinking the same. I'm completely surprised by this result.

We get different kinds of spiced breads here, artisanal, not everywhere...
Fenugreek leaves, mint, cilantro, chilies, garlic flakes, spinach, onions (!), and so on are added, mostly separately.

You may have to adjust moisture in the dough.

There are bakeries here offering bread versions of the curry puff (which was flaky pastry), with potato sabji / chicken tikka / chicken curry / mince meat / mutton curry etc...

The dough is spread, the stuffing put on one half, dough folded and baked...it may be done in partly cooked bread, I have not seen the process.

Cheese and jalapeño is very common, either on bagels, croissant, or sourdough. I've seen gochujang flavored recipes which sound good and I have everything needed already, but didn't pique my interest. Then I realized I have several large bottles of sriracha, so got to thinking and researching. I'm glad I did this bread. I'm taking a couple slices with me to work and will absolutely have it toasted in evoo and some sardines or mackerel on it for lunch.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I buy my Sriracha by the gallon (136 oz). I just drained my last bottle tonight.... we only have three of them "large consumer size" bottles in reserve... just filled up the everyday bottle with the last of the gallon.

Yesterday there were NO gallon sized bottles at Tokyo Central or any of the local Korean supers. Hmm... they got it on Amazon! I just bought one. Maybe I should have bought two? I mean, I know, I know, my wife accuses of me of hoarding... sure I got like 30+ amps... not counting preamps, tuners, laserdiscs, VCRs, etc, etc, etc... but only ONE turntable.

We survived the Great Sriracha Missing Chili Sauce of 2022 or 2023.... something like that. We had three of them gallon bottles! We were wealthy... three gallons of Sriracha and over 300 rolls of Charmin. (*) ;-)

Phew.

1705903051775.png

(*) Which is really funny because we got bidets....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Cal, move this if need be, I’m posting this here because Percy was my cooking buddy, he had no qualms with turning his nose away if my concoctions weren’t up to his standards!
He passed today from stomach cancer (hope my affection for hot peppers didn’t play into it!) thats why I haven‘t been cooking much lately, he required a lot of attention these last few weeks. Percy’s littermate Luna is still with us but she eats anything so isn’t really a reliable food tester.

He will be missed :cry:

Bob

Attachments

• 7A35920E-CE2E-4FDA-AD08-D9D6F70029CC.jpeg
    7A35920E-CE2E-4FDA-AD08-D9D6F70029CC.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 5A1ED3AC-61F8-46F6-AAB8-5A6CEBE188A2.jpeg
    5A1ED3AC-61F8-46F6-AAB8-5A6CEBE188A2.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: 3 users
No need to move it Bob. Very sorry to hear about your loss. Human or not, they are family and when they hang out in the kitchen, helping Dad make something, it's all that much better and a closer relationship. I hope Percy was not in pain and left peacefully.
We lost my little buddy of 16.5 years back in July and there isn't a day goes by that I don't miss him. Greatest companion one could ask for. Always curious, always wanting to be involved. Always came with me and would always make sure my seat was warm when I returned.
Feel free to post as many pics as you like Bob.
It can help.

Attachments

• DSCN5974.jpg
    DSCN5974.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 19
I saw some cool sandwich posts and thought I'd try one of my own variations.
Two birds in the nest, plain sourdough bread, hot cappicolo with blue cheese.
1/2 hour fried at low heat in a buttered pan with the lid on.
I never tried slow cooking one, but am glad the method appeared in this thread!

Attachments

• GridArt_20240122_104155179.jpg
    GridArt_20240122_104155179.jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 27