The food thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Avoid adding cooking soda (bicarb?), not good for kids...
says who?
I have added garbozo beans to nearly boiling salty water to shorten soak time to two hours instead of six, and increased pressure time from 20 to 30 minutes in the cooker.
45 min hot soak and 45 minutes at pressure does chick peas fine. Kala Chana needs a little longer.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I cook chopped onions and garlic in butter over a medium heat until lightly golden, add turmeric to make it aromatic.... then add basmati rice to coat it... a couple of minutes. add water with chicken bouillon.... bring to a boil, set it to very low, simmer, covered for 22 minutes.

Sometimes when it's done, I open it quickly and throw in a cup of frozen peas, cover again and let is sit until we're ready to serve it.

With a little bit of chicken or meat... and perhaps some stir fried canned spam.... it's a real nice dinner.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I suppose I shouldn't tell you I buy those frozen veggies... You know, those that have the nice cubed carrots, nicely cut little green beans and peas... and don't forget the frozen hash browns and potatoes.

It's a guilty pleasure... take them frozen veggies, add butter and salt, microwave and then serve on a nice plate for Thanksgiving dinner.

We make the brown sauce ( don't call it gravy ) from scratch... and then we microwave the veggies out of a plastic bag from the freezer.

There's a shelf in my pantry designed to outlast the end result of the Big One...

But with my luck, after the house comes tumbling down and I dig out the canned goods, the can opener and -worse- the wine bottle opener will have been lost in the rubble.

However, I have some standards... no Bose chez moi.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
she lifted the pan and molten aluminium ran off the hob and splashed around her feet
Trying to work out the mechanism at play here. Now a 32A breaker could deliver 11kW without tripping but why would an IR heating element be able to get to a smidge below 700C? Big hairy chested american gas ranges yes, but std UK domestic? Unless the elements are seriously oversized for reliability.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^

Jus?

No, no... I'm taking about THICK brown beef sauce for what many people would call "gravy"... but when you spend more time making the "gravy" than the meat proper... take beef rib, medium rear, lay it on top of homemade mashed potatoes... ladle the brown sauce over it...

We only do it twice a year... otherwise your cholesterol will be in the 300s.. (*)

Buy beef thigh bones, roast them, make stock with them, then slowly cook it down for 24 hours, add drippings, add some home made brown roux, finish with port wine... well, I hate calling it "gravy".

This is the kind of sauce that will always put you in good standing with Cal.

(*) Well actually most people's. I'm particularly lucky on this... my TOTAL cholesterol is.... 85. That's TOTAL...

IMG_20231029_162116.jpg
IMG_20231029_181224.jpg
Red sea sardines. Own catch

Reactions: 1 users
Bill, I know some people who are OCD about food, and they usually back it up with facts.
IIRC cooling soda has something to do with early osteoporosis, look it up.

I soak rice for an hour or two, then add twice as much water as dry rice, cook for about 25 minutes, low flame, pinch of salt per portion.

Biryani...marinade the chicken / meat, add to pot after frying onions, slow cook, simmering occasionally till the spice mix gives off oil.
Then pour soaked rice into the vessel, with its measured water, and cook till done.
Simple one pot dish.

The dish biryani has many variations within India, I prefer the milder Hyderabad version in comparion to the others.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Trying to work out the mechanism at play here. Now a 32A breaker could deliver 11kW without tripping but why would an IR heating element be able to get to a smidge below 700C? Big hairy chested american gas ranges yes, but std UK domestic? Unless the elements are seriously oversized for reliability.
We gave up trying to work it out, we didn't buy the thing and had none of the paper for it. Too long ago to remember the manufacturer. From memory it was on a standard ring main, connected via a fused plug into a fused socket as per regs of the time.

My mum managed something similar during the 1980s when she left a pan on high instead of simmer. But that was on an old ring type electric stove that she'd left on high, that was connected to a standard oven cable @ 32a (?).

Joined 2014
Paid Member
^

Jus?

No, no... I'm taking about THICK brown beef sauce for what many people would call "gravy"... but when you spend more time making the "gravy" than the meat proper...
If it has starch to thicken it it's gravy. If it's thickened by reduction it's Jus. Brown sauce is something people in the north of UK use instead of ketchup on their sausages and chips.

No need to re-invent words unless you are trying to confuse us all?

https://www.hindustantimes.com/life...-health-what-experts-say-101682072517863.html

There are others as well, my search term was 'baking-soda-hazardous?'

Please bear in mind that the Western medical approach to a headache is to take a painkiller.
In Indian Ayurveda, and Greek medicine, they ask what caused the headache (cartoons of helmet with stuck axe are not part of discussion), and then the medication is chosen...

Like I say, do what makes you happy.

There are many causes of early osteoporosis, too much cola, erratic menses, bad diet, some types of medication for chronic diseases, and so on.

The girls are small, please bear in mind that the effects shows up after many years, so at least I would be cautious in adding short cut additives during food preparation.

Dosa tonight, from ready batter...I forgot to put it in the fridge yesterday evening, got fermented nicely, nice and crisp ones.

Chutney...buy coconut, peel, break, take out useful bit, put in blender.
Then add a chilli, some fried urad daal, curry leaves, salt, whizz briefly in a blender till a smooth paste is achieved.

Make the dosa on a Tawa / skillet ...enjoy.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If it has starch to thicken it it's gravy. If it's thickened by reduction it's Jus. Brown sauce is something people in the north of UK use instead of ketchup on their sausages and chips.

No need to re-invent words unless you are trying to confuse us all?

We are an island, an ocean and a continent apart. Heck, you're East of Vegas.... is there life "East Of Vegas"?

Although we both claim to speak "English"... often times we're far apart in our words. As it is, the UK is confusing enough to us... "smoking a fag"... are you like kidding?

Besides, I use sriracha sauce mixed into ketchup for french fries and hash browns. Who would put gravy on potato chips? I mean, sometimes the relish/ketchup/mustard might drip from the hot dog onto the potato chips... but otherwise, if you're gonna use gravy... use chips... corn chips that is... and even so, I prefer a good spicy salsa with a home made guacamole on my chips... white corn chips are really the best, btw.

My brown sauce uses both a very long reduction finished with a touch of home made (1) brown roux. Not just plain starches... so I call it "salsa marrón" on carnitas. ( hmm... gotta try that one.... both carnitas and brown sauce take at least 10 hours to make... ).

Hmm... "carnitas aux sauce de viande avec chippes de pommes de terre?"

For "gravy" is use this big jar from Costco (2).... it takes like five minutes to make five cups of "gravy".

1699300734576.png

(1) I can hear Cal agree to this one...
(2) Well, there went all the good vibes from Cal.

;)

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Gravy is what you have with a roast dinner.

Made with the water from the steamed veg and parboiled potatoes made in the pan the meat and spuds were roasted in and using the separated juice from the roasting pan. Thickened with a little cornflour, seasoned with salt and pepper, red wine and a teaspoon of red wine vinegar

Brought to the boil and then simmered to reduce it. Or at least that's what I do...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Besides, I use sriracha sauce mixed into ketchup for french fries and hash browns. Who would put gravy on potato chips?
picture of brown sauce attached.
My brown sauce uses both a very long reduction finished with a touch of home made (1) brown roux. Not just plain starches... so I call it "salsa marrón" on carnitas. ( hmm... gotta try that one.... both carnitas and brown sauce take at least 10 hours to make... ).
Starch is starch, you are making gravy. Or actually you are making a Jus then ruining it at the last minute...

Attachments

• brown sauce.jpg
    brown sauce.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 24