The food thread

My mother used to make caramel custard by steaming a mixture of milk and eggs, and the milk would have sugar, cardamom, and a little nutmeg...no vanilla.
After it had cooked, the warm mix would be gently poured into a vessel whose bottom was covered with a layer of caramelized sugar (sprinkle and heat sugar...).
That was put in the fridge, and turned upside down to serve.

Oh, Bill, look at idli stands as steamers, you can put them in a pressure cooker, and steam, without weight, good for dumplings as well.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
That's the only way I know.
now I know that too!
Extra smooches from the Mrs, we hope.
That is on a need to know basis!
Note to Bill: Don't volunteer for a taste test test. A couple of drops of 'mystery liquid' and suddenly you think the real stuff is the fake.
I've been fooled many times before. Food scientists are much cleverer than me.
Since you are old enough to type, your body has been so 'polluted'. whether you chose that or not, that to fight or buck the system is about as rewarding as eating 'organic' food. If that is confusing to you, I am not the scientist but the info is readily available.
The science, albeit in its infancy is fascinating. we are in fact a walking ecosystem and our symbiotic microbiome needs to be cared for and fed in the same way we are. Beyond that we are still learning, but the work on the direct link between the brain and the gut is very interesting and one of the current theories is that the brain tells the gut what is coming down the pipe based on what we taste when we eat. So a pringle (scientifically designed to be addictive) has chemical flavours from cheese in it. Brain tells gut 'protein coming' and gut waits, and waits then tells brain 'more protein please'. Just a theory right now mind. Stories of emulsifiers causing the gut to leak are yet to have a causal link.

My take away hasn't changed. Best thing to do is to cook at home if you have time and money to do it. But little tweaks here and there keep the other half happy and can only harm my wallet. Let's face it sod all on TV so might as well be in the kitchen :D

Joined 2014
Paid Member
My mother used to make caramel custard by steaming a mixture of milk and eggs, and the milk would have sugar, cardamom, and a little nutmeg...no vanilla.
After it had cooked, the warm mix would be gently poured into a vessel whose bottom was covered with a layer of caramelized sugar (sprinkle and heat sugar...).
That was put in the fridge, and turned upside down to serve.
Sounds like an upside down creme brulee. It's interesting all the variants on egg custard across the world. I grew up on instant creme caramel that you made from a packet. I still have a soft spot for egg custart tarts which is the same mixture but baked in a pie crust in the oven.

I can't be sure but I think I we're in for some sticky business.

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpeg
    IMG_1343.jpeg
    444.7 KB · Views: 40
I can't help myself sometimes.
For the last week or two, I have said no, I won't do it, to my wife, no to my buddies and no to even me. We have no room for anything more.
Last night I dreamed about loading the smoker. Pork ribs no less.

I left before she got up.
It's all about forgiveness in place of permission.

Eight St. Louis racks totalling 14 kgs.
Salt and sugar marinade for a couple days
Then low temp smoke for about 24 hours
I want dehydrated ribs, not dinner style. The kind that can sit on the porch and gnaw away at. Some of my favourite memories from way back. I think some of you understand.

Attachments

• IMG_1349.jpeg
    IMG_1349.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I now have an image of cal in a rocking chair with his ribs...

tonight was pizza. No 00 flour at the supermarket so took a risk with the organic bread flour I had. Didn't rise as expected so a thin crust pizza but tasted good. So good didn't get a picture before the family descended on it and ate it.

Just a brief suggestion, you are supposed to eat food in moderation, not collect it!
Being the charitable soul I am, this stuff goes out the door rather quickly allowing me to further 'feed' my addiction without interruption.
I suggest you try something that will quickly fill up you space, like old Altec gear.
I'll get right on that Ed. Nothing makes the wife happier than when I fill up the spare bedroom with speakers.

Last edited: