The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Mark, bring it over. Maybe we'll find a roach coach and we can load up the burritos.

We might have to find some Negra Modelos to survive! ;)

A Burning Gut at the Burning Amp... how apropos. huh?

BTW, do people in Oz even know what hot sauce is? I spent a week down there in business a few years ago... they didn't have tabasco, no hot sauce. They wouldn't bring out a bottle of "ketchy", just a couple of small paper cups... until I begged them that french fries ( whatever they call it ) need lots of ketchup.... and then they insisted on putting fried black mushrooms on top of the steaks. After a week of that, I didn't want the mushroom... Shoots, I might have told them the Queen was German, or something revolutionary like that! At least they acceded to put the darn mushrooms on the side, NOT touching anything else on the place.

OTOH, their beer is extremely good. Not that swill "Foster's"...

Last edited:
I purchased 3.5 million Scoville Unit hot sauce
Mark, remember, that is the generic rating of the pepper used, not the finished sauce. There's no such thing as a 3.5 mil sauce.
That said, it's still a lot hotter than most could tolerate, myself included. I have no reason to test my abilities any longer.
Enjoy, my friend.

Time for a fun experiment. It's called head cheese. Head cheese is not an experiment at all, I have made it dozens of times.
This one reminds me of today's Martini. Martinis are made with Gin and Vermouth.
I was in a piano bar recently and noticed there were no Martinis there with either Gin or Vermouth. All Vodka and other crap. I guess it's there to appeal to the skirts.

So, with that in mind, I am making head cheese with no head.
I have some loin that I did the immersion thing in vinegar/garlic brine and will transfer the liquid to the InstantPot to pressure cook pig skin for the gelatin. When finished, I plan to scrape the skin for Chicaron. The only thing I am uncertain about is the time to cook the skin to get max extraction of the gelatin but leave the skin intact to make the pork rinds.

The clock started yesterday and I'm on at least a 3 day process.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
No... no gin for me. After a rather unfortunate meeting with a bottle of Tanqueray when I was in my late 20s, I can not come close to any kind of gin... yuck! I make my vodka martinis with a touch of Martini (or Cinzano) dry... shaken, with a green Spanish olive. A nice simple drink with just enough snap to make me happy... without the bad memories of gin.1

Chicharones are good. No need for gin... just a good, light pilsner or lager.

Piano bar... ay! now you're getting sophisticated... too much for me. I find music too distracting in a bar.

What kind of music do you listen when using the Instapot? High Pressure music? Heavy Metal?

What kind of music do you listen when using the Instapot?
Jimmy Buffett. Don't be stupid Tony.
Of course for a proper martini you look at the bottle of vermouth as you pour the gin
I admit to being a rebel. Not only did I do the wet version, I dripped a teaspoon of the olive brine in there too.
Seriously, who the **** likes the taste of straight gin? Who are you are kidding or trying to impress? I know stupid when I see it. I grew up in a family like that.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
When they said duck, you should have,

I drunk a whole liter.. on am empty stomach.

Afterwards, was laying on the freshly mowed grass hoping to die. It felt like I was dry heaving my lower intestine by then.

That wasn't even the worst part.

Ate humble pie two days later... the day after I was in bed all day.

Just coming within a foot of an opened bottle of gin.. with its 'aromatics' turns my gut over.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I hope that someday you have a chance to try Citadelle gin plus Dolin dry vermouth , perhaps at a cocktail bar or maybe at home. I think you'll be delighted.

My brother in law likes their red vermouth for his manhattans.

I grew up with vermouth being an exclusive Italian affair. Don't much cotton to them Joseph Come Lately French affairs.

Ice, three shots of Costco Vodka, half a shot of Martini/Cinzano dry white, shake well, pour and drop in a couple of fine manzanilla olives....

Ole!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I hope that someday you have a chance to try Citadelle gin plus Dolin dry vermouth , perhaps at a cocktail bar or maybe at home. I think you'll be delighted.
I'll add that to my list of gins to try, after I locate some sipsmiths VJOP. I normally stick to Tanqueray 10. Confession time I have never tried Vermouth. Growing up with all those cheesy Cinzano and Martini ads(with that ****** earworm jingle that 40 years on still comes flooding back) just made me never want to have anything to do with it. That and I was a beer monster until my 40s so have missed a lot of strange concoctions.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
When I was a kid in the old neighborhood.... weddings were always a neighborhood affair. They'd have the wedding as the local church and then there'd be like four or five busses to take everyone to the reception.

Open bar naturally.

Us kids would get a nice Cin-Cin ( Cinzano red and sweet white, on the rocks, with a touch of sweet "gas" water )... sometimes two... and then we'd sit back quietly for the whole reception.

The best behaved kids you have ever seen. ;-)

Finished the head cheese. Flavour is very good. The garlic and vinegar are well balanced. What I will do differently next time is cook the meat longer to make it easier to slice.

Attachments

• IMG_1326.jpeg
    IMG_1326.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 37