The food thread

When the mix is about to expire, you make waffles.

Attachments

• IMG_1286.jpeg
    IMG_1286.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
You guys sure boil your stuff a lot... we? We stir fry it.

This is Okinawan champuru, made with okinawan goya (bitter melon) and green pepper from our yard. This is what you'd call a "rice bowl". The champuru has tofu, Spam, goya, onions, green pepper, eggs, soyu and Aji No Moto Hondashi. (that's umami with MSG for the gaijin). ;-D

Notice what I wrote about "color arrangement" in your mail.

BTW, the spicy pepper on top of the champuru is a "fusion joke" on you guys. ;-)

BTW, if you ever come to my corner of the World.... The OC in SoCal. let me know... I might make you dinner and warm up the amps. Did you know that a Linn turntable needs about half an hour of turning before it sounds best. I kid you not.

Attachments

• 20230921_185855.jpg
    20230921_185855.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Dr Quatermass

I admit to having to look him up.

Quote:
He continually finds himself confronting sinister alien forces that threaten to destroy humanity.

I wish he had been here for last year's hot sauce. He could have saved me from the lung damage and uninhabitable living environment I encountered during the process. Took my wife weeks to forgive me.

Reactions: 1 user
I admit to having to look him up.

Quote:
He continually finds himself confronting sinister alien forces that threaten to destroy humanity.

I wish he had been here for last year's hot sauce. He could have saved me from the lung damage and uninhabitable living environment I encountered during the process. Took my wife weeks to forgive me.
I had an experience years back where the beef strips had allowed to marinate in red pepper flakes. The result was excruciating, with neck veins bulging as I had never seen.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I don't know about you.... but this place garnishes its dishes with a layer of ground up RED ghost peppers.... It's a high(er) end "authentic" Szechuan restaurant... went in for lunch, company paid.

Ten engineers... two Chinese Americans, six Chinese, one Korean American and Yours Truly.

As we ordered (family style), the Korean guy and I ordered the Mabo Tofu.. after all, they can't make that so hot, huh?

Wrong!!! Not only was it hot, the sauce was hot, the ghost peppers were excruciating, it was oily and sweet... in short, it was delicious in a way that only the Chinese can get away with. You know... it hits the palate and you can first taste the sweetness followed by the sesame oils in a way that tastes neither sweet nor oily... and then it hits the back of the palate... and your tongue starts to scream!

The only way to survive it is to keep eating it... and get that rice...

But hours later I measured my blood sugar... it was 340!

Yikes.

Needless to say, that's one place I'm not taking my wife! She thinks that Camarones al Diablo is hot. ;-)

1695685475514.png

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I purchased 3.5 million Scoville Unit hot sauce to bring to Burning Amp Festival next week, in order to placate people from TAZ-OZ-NZ who complained in previous years that the catered lunch was inadequately spiced, dreadfully underspiced, woefully embarrassingly bland. And they paid $17,000 + $20 for that lunch gosh darn it!

However, this year the B.A.F. is convening at a new venue which does not offer catered lunch and so there is no opportunity to render judgment about the inappropriateness of the spice level in said catered lunch. Which means that Mrs. J. and I now are stuck with these bottles of molten magma with no-one that it may please. Literally tens of dollars have been badly invested.