The food thread

This is what I should have said, a copy paste from the net:

"Bhuno (boo-na) is one of the slow frying methods used in Indian cooking; it simply means “to roast or simmer the masala well,” and it usually refers to the spices. It’s important to have a good bhuno technique to prepare delicious Indian food.

Bhuna is a cooking method in which onions, tomatoes, and meat are cooked over high heat, stirring constantly until the liquid has evaporated. Adding salt to onions while sauteing speeds up the browning process.

After adding the ingredients, cook it over medium heat, stirring frequently, ‘bhuno’ the masala before moving on to the next step. If the masala starts to stick to the pan as water evaporates add few tablespoons of water, allow enough time and wait for the water to evaporate.

If you don’t do it correctly or skip the step, the spices won’t be cooked properly, and you’ll be able to taste the rawness of the spices in the end. To prevent the masala from burning while frying, keep stirring frequently and add a few drops of water needed. Also, keep an eye on the temperature so it doesn’t burn."

After this step, I put the lid on the pressure cooker, basically the meat / vegetables are partly cooked and have absorbed the spices.

I had to look, the Canadians call lamb more than 2 years or so old as 'mutton', in India, it means sheep or goat meat, without reference to age.
That was the cause of the confusion.

It seems castrated ram goats have a milder flavor in the meat compared to those which have not been castrated, this of course does not apply to female goats.

I rarely buy it, preferring chicken, and the butcher here hangs the meat on hooks with the tail intact, so customers know it is goat rather than sheep. I get whatever looks nice and fresh, a half kilo is enough for us. No freezing after purchase, shop is a half kilometer away.

Goats for the table here are generally 6 to 9 months old at slaughter, and the Jamaicans prefer older goats at 3 to 4 years, which are stronger in taste.
That may be the reason why the dish tasted better there, it has to cook longer as well.

Due to the higher fat content, and marbling effect, sheep meat cannot be entirely fat free, and that lends its taste to the dish, which some people are not comfortable about.
However, in trotter curry, the fat is generally the delectable part, gelatinous and full of spices from the long slow cooking process.
It is considered a hearty dish, a good breakfast.
A similar beef dish is a traditional pre dawn breakfast for the Muslims during the fasting month of Ramadan here.

Last edited:
Most all my goat experiences came from a farm down the road (North Carolina) that raised cashmere goats mainly for their coat (wool?) but they occasionally slaughtered some of the unruly ones, after helping them slaughter one day (and consequently eating some) I came to the conclusion that a) they stink! b) once you get that stink imprinted the meat always tasted like that smell. (Even years after smelling it) c) when skinned out and hanging it looks much too much like you just skinned out a german shepherd (also hard to get out of your head when eating it!) …….which concludes with, d) they make much better yarn, milk, cheese, and soap.

Cal, the chèvre cheese they made was awesome (kindly favored a mix of cream cheese and feta) on crackers with some fruit jam. Can’t believe you’ve never had it?

edit; Oh yah, and the eyes! Look a goat in the eyes and you’ll definitely be a changed person,
kindly a mix between rattlesnake and alien! :LOL:

Last edited:
Ginger candy
Same method as turmeric candy...

Attachments

• 20230117_004445.jpg
    20230117_004445.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 27
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Dreamth, butchering is something I am no longer involved in nor witness to, as I'm a full time city boy now. When we do buy whole hogs, lamb or goat, they are pre-dressed and even brined before we get them.

Aaah.. butchering... the source of my family's wealth back in the Old Country.... a grand-grand-grand-father, or something like that, was a butcher and grew the business.

As a kid, I recall walking into the stockyards, stone buildings, cobblestones, with freshly butchered half-steer carcasses handling from a hook on a chain/rail set up. They'd do the butchering in the early mornings, then they'd hang the carcasses and bring them into the big building. The whole placed would be hosed down. It was all stone, with a cobblestone floor, so it kept a constant temperature winter and summer. In the afternoons they'd open to the customers ( butchers, wholesalers ), so my mom would take me along when she visited our vendors. I recall they had an excellent restaurant on the premises...

To this day, I love the smell of freshly butchered beef, after it has been hosed down and cleaned.

Lamb -and mutton- are a different thing. They smell different, except that baby lamb ( like less than two months old ) braised with garlic and onions is a true delicacy... with a nice beaujolais style wine.

Pork is handled in an entirely different supply chain and my family is not involved in the distribution or resale of it. Except they, we, are huge pork eaters too! It would be against the foundation of our Western European culture to ignore a good sausage!

I got a "lomo" ( cured pork tenderloin ) in my fridge ( two I believe ) that plays well with the jamon serrano on its carving stand on our kitchen island.

As much as we love handcrafted tofu ( Meiji Tofu in Gardena ) no one can call us "vegan".

BTW, the stockyard is in a large city with an awesome football team. ;-)

And, since this an audio site, I think... growing up we had a Telefunken short wave radio. It was awesome, pretty big affair, all metal, dials, tubes... I swear we could tune to the Luftwaffe.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
To this day, I love the smell of freshly butchered beef, after it has been hosed down and cleaned.
Holly c...p! Are you a wolf or something?The first , last and only guy I remember telling something like that serves his life in jail for killing with a knife his wife and his two children.It shocked me 10 years before the crimes when he told me the pleasure he feels ripping off a wild bunny's head...Now the only guys he's allowed to tell such stories are his own familly members once every 3...6 months...

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
TBH, I can’t remember ever having goat cheese. Must look for it next time in the market.

You can't be serious!

Even Costco carries it.

It's awesome... make a nice Mediterranean salad with it... dates, figs, nuts, goat cheese, fresh tomatoes, olives, olive oil, a bit of vinegar/salt... and grab some good bread and a nice light red wine.

Other than perhaps some thin veal steaks, rubbed with olive oil and garlic and cooked very fast on a hot grill.... there's not much you need for a fantastic summer Sunday Dinner out in the patio. And, if in summer, grab some chilled rose instead of red.

There is an interesting test almost anyone can do. When eating something, try the utensil you are using to feed yourself in your other than normal hand and see if the taste changes!

For example if you normally eat soup with the spoon in your right hand, try using your left hand. See if the soup tastes different, assuming you don’t spill it instead!

Yes this is a left brain side versus right side test / demonstration!

(Note this presumes the readers here have a functioning brain! Pretty sure myself and some of the other posters may not.)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
There is an interesting test almost anyone can do. When eating something, try the utensil you are using to feed yourself in your other than normal hand and see if the taste changes!

For example if you normally eat soup with the spoon in your right hand, try using your left hand. See if the soup tastes different, assuming you don’t spill it instead!

Yes this is a left brain side versus right side test / demonstration!

(Note this presumes the readers here have a functioning brain! Pretty sure myself and some of the other posters may not.)

We use big disposable straws for our soup.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Ed: I'd miss my mouth completely using left hand so of course it would taste different :p

But I do find it fascinating how sight, sound and mechanical interaction change the perception of things.

Bill,

You can try something you eat with a fork or even your fingers. Remember when eating with your fingers bite off the food first, then the fingers. If you do the fingers first you can’t pick up the food.

ES

Made clean the kitchen soup today. Started with the leftover frozen turkey carcass from Thanksgiving added dried barley, leftover peas and surprisingly broccoli that was hanging around. I did try using the spoon with each hand while tasting it.

Tony, I have eaten tons of Feta but to the best of my knowledge, not goat cheese. Mediterranean salads here would be made with Feta.

Left handed people actually have an advantage in life. They are forced to use their off hand so it becomes more skilled whereas a righty always has righty things so lefty is just and arm-like stump.

Last edited:
Ed, I’m not ambidextrous but lefty is about 75% of what righty is. In truth, there are things I only do left handed, so the soup would only taste a little different. 😉
Brain cells? Well, you already know the answer to that one, and the biting of the fingers, again I was glad I learned that one the first time. The girls no longer call me a 10, I’m now a 9.5.

Last edited: