The food thread

Last night's salad made use of the recent bamboo shoot concoction.

Bed of sliced tomatoes
Fermented cabbage/onion mix
Bamboo in chili oil shoots
Fried noodles
Pistachios
Drizzled with artichoke oil/dressing

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 48
For you Canadians who might not know...a stick of butter is 1/2 cup.
He chose a decent quality Canadian whisky. Most would choose drinking it over cooking but I bet it's a real asset to the cookies.
Here in the south we drink bourbon and cook with Canadian whiskey and seeing as i wont cook with alcohol i wouldn‘t drink it leaves crown royal as the only choice! :p

Both my wife and I like food you can pick up with your hand, such as bones.
A budget trick we just tried.
If you like braised oxtail, you can use turkey necks. Chop the thick end into 2" 95cm) pieces and use the skinny ends for something else like broth or gravy.
Cook the thick pieces in the skillet first then into a pan with lid. Use any sauce you would for your oxtail, turning every hour.
Not perfect but here oxtail must be on the soft commodity market judging by its price. It's one of the most expensive beef cuts around. 4 pieces, or about half what I would need was $27 the other day. The same weight in turkey necks was $6. In fact, $12 was all we needed and we still had the skinny ends to work with. I think I can live with the turkey.

Here in the south we drink bourbon and cook with Canadian whiskey
Damn, how am I going to break this to you. Crown Royal actually is Bourbon. It can't be called as such because of peculiar distilling regulations. It's mash is mostly corn. Since bourbon can only lawfully be made in the US, we had to change it to Canadian whisky from Canadian Bourbon whisky, even though the #1 mash is 'Bourbon mash' along with some others including rye. Now you're saying wait a minute, I thought Canadian whisky is made strictly from rye. Well, no. Rye is added to Canadian whisky but only in small amounts unless they label it as Rye whisky to make a point about a higher content. Still, I would guess that rye is never the #1 mash used.

Crown Royal won the world tasting championships a few years back but I don't remember which Crown Royal it was, they have a few.

So before you go throwing that Crown Royal into your cookies, consider that deep down it really is a bourbon and quite a smooth one at that. :)

Cheers and Happy New Year Bob.

Last edited: