Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The food thread
The food thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2018, 07:23 PM   #8641
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
frozen ones
We have them as well as turtles live in Boston, I'm not ready to run my own abattoir.
Old 9th February 2018, 09:05 PM   #8642
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
mountain chicken?
Pond chicken. Available as frozen (affordable) or live frogs where they only give you the legs after selling you the whole frog (expensive). I once said, it's ok give them to me live, I'll butcher them myself. He stared at me funny then started laughing. No, no live frogs mister.
Old 9th February 2018, 09:15 PM   #8643
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Pond chicken.
Leptodactylus fallax - Wikipedia
Old 9th February 2018, 09:52 PM   #8644
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Pond chicken. Available as frozen (affordable) or live frogs where they only give you the legs after selling you the whole frog (expensive). I once said, it's ok give them to me live, I'll butcher them myself. He stared at me funny then started laughing. No, no live frogs mister.
When Jacques Pepin started cooking in NY, he went up to a duck farm (I guess lower Connecticut or Upper Westchester) and asked for some ducks. He got 'em, paid for 'em, snapped their necks and threw 'em into the trunk of their car. Needless, this left the children horrified.
Old 10th February 2018, 01:20 AM   #8645
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
When Jacques Pepin started cooking in NY, he went up to a duck farm (I guess lower Connecticut or Upper Westchester) and asked for some ducks. He got 'em, paid for 'em, snapped their necks and threw 'em into the trunk of their car. Needless, this left the children horrified.
Similar story for an Asian fellow who wanted horse meat. Went to a farm bought a pony, clubbed it to death and put it in his trunk. Made news when he got charged with animal cruelty. (He got off.)

BTY re: hot dogs:

Smiths of Erie are available at the regional suprrmarket chain Giant Eagle. You might want to give them a try. Other local favorite is chipped chopped ham. Most prefer it on a hamburger bun with lots of mayo. The other school frys it.
Old 10th February 2018, 01:43 AM   #8646
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Kensington market in Toronto used to (maybe still does, IDK) have some fresh poultry shops with live birds. I remember once seeing a lovely WASP yuppie couple there who obviously wanted to serve duck for dinner party and decided to get some fresh ones. A young lad wearing an outsized, blood spattered apron stood in front of them holding up two live ducks which quacked unhappily. The horrified look on the faces of the nice people was something to see. I expect they went to Loblaws and bought a couple of frozen ducks.
Old 10th February 2018, 02:48 AM   #8647
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post

Smiths of Erie
I'll pass

Quote:
Beef, Pork, Water, Salt, Corn Syrup Solids, Dextrose, Spices, Paprika, Sodium Phosphates, Onion Powder, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite, Spice Extractives, Extractives of Paprika; in a Lamb Casing.
Old 10th February 2018, 11:15 AM   #8648
jacco vermeulen is offline jacco vermeulen  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
Crap-aud vin ?
Old 10th February 2018, 11:43 AM   #8649
soundbrigade is offline soundbrigade  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
Made a HUGE portion of tuna fish sallad:
Smoked salmon, rice, various canned veggies (carrot, pea, corn), egg, grounded onion (forgot but will add before serving) and mayonnaise.
Spices: "citronpeppar" - lemonpepper (solt, pepper and lemon acid (propbaly) mixed).

Will have the HiFi-mob over for music and tunes tomorrow.

Last edited by soundbrigade; 10th February 2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Forgot
Old 10th February 2018, 11:16 PM   #8650
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Senfbraten, broiled brusselsprouts and parsley potatoes for dinner.

The Pork loin was browned in olive oil and garlic, then I removed the medallions and added mushrooms to the hot oil, along with sliced jalapeno, chopped green onions. Cornstarch to thicken it and added the medallions back just before serving.

The brusselsprouts were drizzled with olive oil and dusted with garlic salt, balck pepper and red pepper, and cooked half way before adding bacon crumbles.

Potatoes were boiled, drained and I added butter, salt pepper and chopped parsley.

Very good all in all.

The food threadHide this!Advertise here!